ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #46
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
yeah, Harrisburg sucks, right Chip!

I found the company in Harrisburg to be quite pleasing.

Quote:
I guess I should also put in a route from Frenchtown, NJ to the beach so the route goes the Atlantic and ends up at Jersey Shore

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #47
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:

Crossforks in near NYS if I can remember from ridding the Rattlesnake Enduro. Lots of great dirt roads around there.

There should be a loop that skips NJ and goes from Northern PA > NYS > Catskills > ADK > Lake George > VT. Any NYS experts out there? I have some good routes to share if you want to complete that route.

--
Roger on Crossfork and the Rattlesnake Enduro. I was president of BER when we started the Rattlesnake Enduro back in 1998
I put in a lot of meetings with the State to get that enduro up and running again, then when I introduced the idea to the campground owners they loved it so much they let us setup that great grass track in the field. Since then my predecessors have gotten more land from the neighbors and I think that section is up over 5 miles now!

So of course that same campground is the stopping spot in my route . If this route starts to really work, I plan on having a log book at the campground for people following the route to sign and add information about where they started, plan to end, how they like it, etc.

I don't know if we want to cut out NJ because there is a lot of nice sand roads in the pine barrens (but I personally have no interest in riding my Uly the sand). The problem is getting into and out of NJ involves going through major urban areas . Maybe an optional 2 day loop from the Del water gap area into NJ and back to the PA route for those hard core riders that want to see what sugar sand is all about

But it does make sense to drop out of NY state, down into the Poconos, then pickup my route which will end at Michaux where we pick back up your trail. I only picked Cabelas because it is a easy meeting point for my team that is right on the edge of the mountain range where all the good roads are. The actual route could pass further north like Pottsville.

At least the ball is rolling. I am heading to Cabelas this weekend to pick up a new sleeping bag for next spring when we start to prove our route!

TowPro screwed with this post 12-10-2009 at 03:23 PM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #48
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

intothenew,

My first leg looks like 200 miles. I think I can only find around 25% stone/unimproved roads (mostly the last 20%), but the software tells me the speed average for the whole leg is 27MPH.

is this good?
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #49
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
intothenew,

My first leg looks like 200 miles. I think I can only find around 25% stone/unimproved roads (mostly the last 20%), but the software tells me the speed average for the whole leg is 27MPH.

is this good?

That's a little hard to answer, but I will try.

First, 200 miles is a good target. You can add a few more in if the day is relatively easy and as long as you don't stretch too many of those days together.

The average speed is a good indicator, but it is just that, an indicator. I can typically run a garmin ETA prediction, on the bike, and take close to an hour for lunch and quite a few 15 minute breaks. You will out run that as a moving average. Start by considering that as an overall average, including breaks. You can change those settings to suit you, if you wish. I left mine at default.

Don't sweat the paved/unpaved ratio, take what mother nature and the DOT give you.

Yes, that is a good start.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #50
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Into, Things are really looking up since I switched from Mapsource to Topo8! (and yes I did prove I can export/convert/modify/import them into garmin GPS devices

Couple Questions:

Based on tight back roads, and 25% stone roads, how far can I route between gas stops?. My longest section is 150 miles. Do I need to make that shorter?

I got 3 days in, all the way down to Big Flat parking area in Michaux. I don't know if camping is allowed at Big Flat, but I remember if from riding the Michaux Enduro. I hope someone else that knows the area can point me at camping down near Michaux.

Since I am on a roll here, can anybody tell me where the NJ route crosses into PA? I can route that part also. I just need to know where to connect, and how many hours/miles the riders have already been riding the day they cross the river.

Will
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #51
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

I try to keep gas available at 100 mile intervals, but that doesn't have to be right on the route. Mine have worked out nice for that, not all show on mapsource or google.

Camping in the Michaux area I just can't help you with, but I can't fathom that there is not one in the park.

I sent you a PM on the last question. And further to that, contact rob23 and get a copy of the TNJT, and a current copy of the Trans App. I have a NJ connector included in the TWVT, and I have run a section that ends in the Delaware Water Gap that I think Rob has included in the Trans App.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #52
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Extending the TAP to the Gulf Coast

As a version - a smooth version - of the TET I'm working on laying out an extension to the Trans Appalachian Trail down through Georgia/Alabama to the panhandle of Florida and the Gulf Coast.

Right now I'm working with country maps, DeLorme atlases and whatever routes I can find for those areas. Plotting on Marsource using Topo, Metroguide and R&R.

In March sometime I plan on starting on the southern end of my new route working northward checking the actual roads and my routes to see what they are REALLY like.

Once I reach the southern end of the TAP I'll start working my way north along it continuing to check/verify it all the way up to PA. Time permitting, I might go farther - want to be home 1st week of May.

This is just a heads up on what I'm working on.... if anyone has some actual tracklogs of the TAP along with comments, PLEASE PM me.

Cheers!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #53
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
Ok, I used the best of the TNJT to create two new routes.

I created a optional route to connect the TET to the Atlantic via the Jersey Shore and the Pine Barrens.

I also created a route north via NJ to the Hawk's Nest in NYS.

All my routes were built off tracks and are proven but I'm not providing the tracks in my routes. Feel free to ride the route and send your tracks to Chip. I'm working on a big gas tank and converting my street legal 250xcw two stroke to a dual sport machine!

I'll leave it up to someone more experienced with NYS and CT to take it north! Maybe Wpb?

Chip, let me know when you have the routes in the TET so I can take these links down.

TET NJ Connection v1 (Temp Link)
Gdb:

rob23 screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 11:27 AM
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #54
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Thanks Rob.

I will pick it up at FrenchTown, and take it to the PA MD border area where I will join with routes Chip already provided.

Do we have anybody out here that knows West PA that could link to me around Elk State Forest, maybe head out to Allegheny National forest, put in an optional route through the ATV trails (would we have to buy a $10.00 sticker to ride a street bike down the Federal Trails?), then head south for an an hour or 2 and find a place to spend the night before connecting back into my trail somewhere NW of State Collage?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #55
rob23
on the pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
Thanks Rob.

I will pick it up at FrenchTown, and take it to the PA MD border area where I will join with routes Chip already provided.

Do we have anybody out here that knows West PA that could link to me around Elk State Forest, maybe head out to Allegheny National forest, put in an optional route through the ATV trails (would we have to buy a $10.00 sticker to ride a street bike down the Federal Trails?), then head south for an an hour or 2 and find a place to spend the night before connecting back into my trail somewhere NW of State Collage?
Sorry, it's Frenchtown, NJ on the Delaware. We already have a route that goes there from Michaux.

What we probably need is a central PA route that goes from Michaux to Cross Forks and then over to Port Jarvis, NY (maybe dips in the Catskills via Hancock or something).

I'd also like to see a route from High Point, NJ to TMAT via CT. I have a base route if someone wants to look into it.

Please email me, I only check the board once a day at the most.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #56
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Chip, let me know when you have the routes in the TET so I can take these links down.
I have sent the file to the host. Give me and him a day or two to get things straight.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #57
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:

We should be good to go. I added the new link in the second post, thanks Rob.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #58
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,381
I ran the TET-NJ backwards from Frenchtown to Titus Mill Rd (just across Rt 31 from Woosamonsa). There's one bridge still out on the route (I'm betting you know but'll send you the location).

I musta done something wrong when I loaded it...the ride terminated at Titus Mill, weird. I'll run more of it when I can. It was nutz cold this morning man, wow.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #59
rob23
on the pipe

Bill, call me next time you head out.

Maybe the route truncated because you can only hold so many viapoints. You need to navigate as "off-road". If you use "on road" it'll truncate.

That's the water crossing, there's a dirt road around the bridge and through the river. Maybe it's covered in snow so you didn't see it?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #60
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,381
Quote:
Bill, call me next time you head out.

Maybe the route truncated because you can only hold so many viapoints. You need to navigate as "off-road". If you use "on road" it'll truncate.

That's the water crossing, there's a dirt road around the bridge and through the river. Maybe it's covered in snow so you didn't see it?
Ah, I see what you're saying--yeah, that's the limitation of some of my 'recon windows' it was still full dark when I was plying that area. So I missed that crossing.

I'll do that. I spend too much time out alone, I know that it's way more fun and safer to team.

I should clear my memory then, I've got the whole TNJT loaded all the time plus other stuff. I think you're right, too many viapoints already loaded. It's just as well, I was pretty smoked by 730 when I crossed Rt 31, so I just headed to work in Westfield from there.

I'm hatin' that the trails are covered in snow. Assunpink was a mess (hit that after work).

Thanks for checking in. I want to run this whole thing and send over the tracks, I fear it'll wait until this mess melts and perhaps days are longer.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote