User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
jedi_jer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sym CityCom 300i 8,000KM on it so far

Well my CityCom will be passing the 8,000KM mark today, with 5,000KM of that being mileage I have put on the scooter myself. It's a great machine and I just got back from a 2 day, 1,000+KM trip to Algonquin Park (Ontario, Canada) on it. The Sym did very well and surprised me with how well it did on 100Km highway 11. It had no trouble accelerating, staying up with and passing at the beyond posted speeds (110km-120km GPS speed) everyone was travelling at. It got consitantly great fuel mileage and was quite comfortable even for my 5` 11" 180 pound frame. I'm very impressed!

I've taken to making some videos i'm posting on youtube to share. Check them out if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/user/worntread

My Motorcycle related videos:
jedi_jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Cool- thanks for posting. Looks like you had a fun ride. I've never seen the Citycom in person, but have heard lots of good things about it.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_jer View Post
Well my CityCom will be passing the 8,000KM mark today, with 5,000KM of that being mileage I have put on the scooter myself. It's a great machine and I just got back from a 2 day, 1,000+KM trip to Algonquin Park (Ontario, Canada) on it. The Sym did very well and surprised me with how well it did on 100Km highway 11. It had no trouble accelerating, staying up with and passing at the beyond posted speeds (110km-120km GPS speed) everyone was travelling at. It got consitantly great fuel mileage and was quite comfortable even for my 5` 11" 180 pound frame. I'm very impressed!

I've taken to making some videos i'm posting on youtube to share. Check them out if you like.

110 kph GPS on that bike will be 7000 rpm which is the HP peak. The bike will easily go faster, but to my eyes that is pushing it. I would like my Citycom to last forever, so I keep mine down to 7000 rpm max. I did get carried away on day with blasting up hills at higher speeds and it was great fun, but the bike clearly was stressed and used some oil. In the 10000 km since, it
Has used none, so I took that as a warning.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
jedi_jer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
110 kph GPS on that bike will be 7000 rpm which is the HP peak. The bike will easily go faster, but to my eyes that is pushing it. I would like my Citycom to last forever, so I keep mine down to 7000 rpm max. I did get carried away on day with blasting up hills at higher speeds and it was great fun, but the bike clearly was stressed and used some oil. In the 10000 km since, it
Has used none, so I took that as a warning.
Yeah, I don't think I would run the engine at that all day but for a short while it did fine. My normal cruisng speed is 90-100KPH or slower. I was very impressed though that the CityCom had no issues kicking things up a knotch when needed. Great machine.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
jedi_jer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Was out riding and did a video of my impressions of the scoot.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Citycom lives

I have 32000 km on mine and it's still doing well. I agree as well that the suspension and brakes are sufficient, but could be better. I like the improvement in braking from EBC organics but they are getting harder to get. My bike does ride much more smoothly at 32000 km than it did at 10000.

City Grips grip about as well as the stock Maxxis, but last much longer. I'm taller than you, but I find that if I slide forward on the seat the change in weight distribution makes an unbelievable difference in the steering and handling, especially in high gusty winds. The steering becomes much more accurate and the bike much more stable.

Last summer I did 3300km In a week through the mountains of BC loaded with camping gear with no I'll effects except for rear tire wear. In the future I'll skip the extra weight of the gear, but I will be making much longer trips.

My seat is getting a little bagged, other than that, long runs on this bike are a pleasure.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com

Phipsd screwed with this post 08-14-2014 at 06:03 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote