Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
gringito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
CT110 aka postie bike - problem to start

Hi there,

My postie bike refused to start this morning... nothing happens with kick starter then I tried to see how it ll reacts downhill... Engine started but immediately died. The sparkplug was really black and glowy (strange....) I tried with a spare (not new...) and same deal... I'm a beginner so I need your science....Am i right with this :

+ If the engine started, it means the sparkplus is fine.
+ It seems that the engine miss something... fuel or air (I've to check airfilter and/or clean the carbie)

Any suggestions ?
gringito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,111
Will a picture is worth a 1000 words but black equals burning oil I think . Best thing with spark plugs is google reading sparks plugs and one of the links with show with picture what normal etc spark plugs look like. Tans is normal etc. Heres a link for the OEM Serivce manual . Since you don't say what year we can tell you what one to download . http://ct90-ct110.com/Shop-Manuals.html If you down under please google ct110 postal bike forum since there a big forum over there . YOU man even be able to connect with someone there locally for help. Offer a free 6 pack of beer . http://ct90-ct110.com/Shop-Manuals.html.

The basic are this to check whats wrong.

1) Does it have spark . Plug the spark plug out and hold it with rubber gloves etc near metal. Turn over and you should see a blue spark. No spark means something wrong with the cerket . Check battery is charges and the connection on it clean and tight. At this point I would say to you to future check it look at manual under starting system due to me not knowing if it's 6 or 12 volts and the fact I ve only ridden one 30 years ago .
2) If it has spark and the battery is good you move on to Fuel .
1) Is the carb getting fuel . disconnect the fuel line at carb and turn over point the line into something to catch the gas. If it squirts fuel out the line is ok. If not there ether a plugged inline fuel filter or an old nasty peace of fuel line that needs to be replaced. It also can be there shit in the gas tank . Shine a light in it. Guys what type of fuel pump does it have ? That can go 2 .
3) Then you have to take the carb off and clean it to see if it's plugged up . Very simple to do just follow the manual. Clean the carb outside first to stop anything getting into it. Once clean put it back on and try to start it

4) Guys I forgotten what it is but isn't there something else dealing with a lighting system that can stop a ct110 starting . Something that on the 6 volt models they replace with a Radoshack part ? I remember that the head light , tail etc system has to be 100% for it to start and work.
So what was it I read ???? Any ideas ?

5) if that spark plug was black it means your burning oil. Long term that can kill a bike . It may be you ve also got low compression due to worn out piston rings etc. That 2 can stop a bike starting .

In the USA dravt.com has all the ct110 parks you need. if the engine has low compression consider one of dravt engine transplant kits . Up the cc and speed of the bikes.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,737
Any Spark Plug:- correct gap - terminals filed flat - clean condition. HT lead in good condition.

When worn out, or the insulator is cracked; replace.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Look for voltage leakage (flash-over) in the dark. Charge should be passing through plug; and not past it.

NGK Technical information

Old 01-14-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
RedArrow
With scootrboi

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Will a picture is worth a 1000 words but black equals burning oil I think . Best thing with spark plugs is google reading sparks plugs and one of the links with show with picture what normal etc spark plugs look like. Tans is normal etc. Heres a link for the OEM Serivce manual . Since you don't say what year we can tell you what one to download . http://ct90-ct110.com/Shop-Manuals.html If you down under please google ct110 postal bike forum since there a big forum over there . YOU man even be able to connect with someone there locally for help. Offer a free 6 pack of beer . http://ct90-ct110.com/Shop-Manuals.html.

The basic are this to check whats wrong.

1) Does it have spark . Plug the spark plug out and hold it with rubber gloves etc near metal. Turn over and you should see a blue spark. No spark means something wrong with the cerket . Check battery is charges and the connection on it clean and tight. At this point I would say to you to future check it look at manual under starting system due to me not knowing if it's 6 or 12 volts and the fact I ve only ridden one 30 years ago .
2) If it has spark and the battery is good you move on to Fuel .
1) Is the carb getting fuel . disconnect the fuel line at carb and turn over point the line into something to catch the gas. If it squirts fuel out the line is ok. If not there ether a plugged inline fuel filter or an old nasty peace of fuel line that needs to be replaced. It also can be there shit in the gas tank . Shine a light in it. Guys what type of fuel pump does it have ? That can go 2 .
3) Then you have to take the carb off and clean it to see if it's plugged up . Very simple to do just follow the manual. Clean the carb outside first to stop anything getting into it. Once clean put it back on and try to start it

4) Guys I forgotten what it is but isn't there something else dealing with a lighting system that can stop a ct110 starting . Something that on the 6 volt models they replace with a Radoshack part ? I remember that the head light , tail etc system has to be 100% for it to start and work.
So what was it I read ???? Any ideas ?

5) if that spark plug was black it means your burning oil. Long term that can kill a bike . It may be you ve also got low compression due to worn out piston rings etc. That 2 can stop a bike starting .

In the USA dravt.com has all the ct110 parks you need. if the engine has low compression consider one of dravt engine transplant kits . Up the cc and speed of the bikes.
Hi There, #4 The Radio Shack part is the recterfyer. And yes the battery head light rear light have to complete the circuit on a CT110. if he does not have a fuse at the battery he will blow out the headlight. But that is not it.

He can get her started, the sparkplug is getting fouled by oil in the gas chamber of the engine. Hmmmmm he will have to look at many things. I had some of these problems with my Trail bike.

There could also be an air leak at the exhaust side where the tail pipe goes into the engine at the bottom, (There is suppose to be a donut gasket there) sometimes it disintegrates over time. Causing problems.

On the other side, Yes the carb.

Good luck
Tell us more info.

~ Red
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
RedArrow
With scootrboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringito View Post
Hi there,

My postie bike refused to start this morning... nothing happens with kick starter then I tried to see how it ll reacts downhill... Engine started but immediately died. The sparkplug was really black and glowy (strange....) I tried with a spare (not new...) and same deal... I'm a beginner so I need your science....Am i right with this :

+ If the engine started, it means the sparkplus is fine.
+ It seems that the engine miss something... fuel or air (I've to check airfilter and/or clean the carbie)

Any suggestions ?
Hi gringito ~

Tell us more clues, what was it like before this morning? Did you ever have problems...inconsistent idle, die-ing while running, not starting when hot, the electrical all lights work?

What year is your CT110?

~ Red
Old 01-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
gringito OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Hi gringito ~

Tell us more clues, what was it like before this morning? Did you ever have problems...inconsistent idle, die-ing while running, not starting when hot, the electrical all lights work?

What year is your CT110?

~ Red
At first massive thank you for your quick update, really appreciated ! It's a 2005 postie... and before the morning incident I ahd no problem at all... sometimes idle was too weak at traffic lights and slowly died... I had time to time inconsistent idle but really not often.I check at least once a week my oil level, and it was good... when I take out the spark plug it looks a bit similar to the black glowy one (bottom frame) :
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
RedArrow
With scootrboi

gringito ~ That looks really oily...Okay, die-ing at idle... Well I would definitely clean the carb, take a little guitar string or electronics wire stripped of plastic and go through all the holes in the jets, clean everything, tighten town everything. I'm not to familiar with the newer Postie CTs because they are not imported here in the States. My Trail 110 is made up of three Trails 81,82,83.

TRY TO GET A SHOP MANUAL FOR YOUR YEAR. It really helps. Maybe you can down load it?

But always start with the easy stuff, look for possible air leaks. And you've got to figure out where that oil is coming in from and fouling the plug.

Here is a picture of my bike:

Tell me what happens after you clean the carb and figure out whats happening with the spark plug.

You can also go over to the Thread Post pic of your CT110 & CT90's there are a couple of really good CT mechanics over there, nice guys...Ask them about the plug and how to proceed.

~ Red Arrow
Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Did the bike smoke a lot after it sat for a few days? Then The smoke would lessen during a ride?

If so I would say valve seals. ( I think the 110 has them, not positive)
Next thing
Smell your oil.
Smell like petrol??
If so, you will need at least a top end rebuild.
With an oily wet plug, it's gonna need to come apart.
With a petrol wet plug, clean carb, new float and seat, set valve clearance and a new plug.

Good luck! Keep it rolling
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 AM   #9
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
Did the bike smoke a lot after it sat for a few days? Then The smoke would lessen during a ride?

If so I would say valve seals. ( I think the 110 has them, not positive)
Next thing
Smell your oil.
Smell like petrol??
If so, you will need at least a top end rebuild.
With an oily wet plug, it's gonna need to come apart.
With a petrol wet plug, clean carb, new float and seat, set valve clearance and a new plug.

Good luck! Keep it rolling
I got that on my scooter when it needed rings and a rebore.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
A compression test will tell of you need a rebuild for sure, any local garage should
Have the needed tools. Bring the bike and they will do it for probably ten bucks. It only takes
A few minutes.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
RedArrow
With scootrboi

PTC ~

That is a really great suggestion the compression test. I was always going to do that with my Trail, Then once I finally got her running and found the air leak... I forgot about doing it.

~ Red
Old 01-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
gringito OP
Adventurer

Problem solve.... It was the spark plug ! Easy... Thank you so much for your help... I'm starting now to read the all manual, I've to plan my 20.000 km journey I'll probably be bak here soon with a bunch of new questions ...
Old 01-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
RedArrow
With scootrboi

$ 5.00 part?...if

Boy, gringito ~ Your Trail bike (Postie) must really love you, I never got off that easy!

Great! Happy Riding, Thanks for coming back and telling us the problem.

Lucky Lad
~ Red
Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #14
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringito View Post
Problem solve.... It was the spark plug ! Easy... Thank you so much for your help... I'm starting now to read the all manual, I've to plan my 20.000 km journey I'll probably be bak here soon with a bunch of new questions ...
Thats so cool that it was easy to fix . Cheek the plug after a few miles to see if it's still turning black or not . That could be another isuess that may come back to bite you.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #15
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,654
Cry great engine, terrible saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Thats so cool that it was easy to fix . Cheek the plug after a few miles to see if it's still turning black or not . That could be another isuess that may come back to bite you.
Honda engines are so perfectly made I am not surprised it was just the plug. I took the head and cylinder off my old Dream in 1974 after crossing the USA to find out what had gone wrong, the sudden loss of power after entering Tempe, AZ. After 8 years and 37000 miles of spirited (abusive overrevving) riding and finally the Colorado mountains and Utah and Arizona desert, I burned a valve. The rings were worn very thin, the top end needed a rebuild. Up till the moment the engine lost compression, the motorcycle ran very well, 70mpg at 70-85 mph for 5 days of a week, 18 hour days.