User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Motoduc1 OP
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 929
Moto Guzzi Breva

Greetings! A good friend of mine is the proud new owner of a 750 Breva. Just 9800 miles on the clock. Took it for a test ride...nice bike!

A few questions:

The saddle...has a lot of "free play" between the seat cover and the foam. Is this normal wear? My first thought was that the original owner might've been really short-legged and had some foam removed. Very loose on the top of the seat.

The passenger pegs: one folds up and flops back down. The other one...will not fold up at all. Is this an issue with this bike? Or..?

Finally, the service record shows oil changes and the dealer 1000 mile check. Are there issues to be on the lookout for? I know almost nothing about Guzzi's.

The bike has been down a couple of times, but the damage is mostly cosmetic. A new clutch lever is in order...perhaps a new windshield. We don't have a Guzzi dealer in the state; does anyone recommend a dealer for reliable parts orders?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kent
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
if you go to wildguzzi.com there is alot of information and a lot of knowledgable people. You can order parts and stuff from online dealers. Moto International in Seattle is a great source of information and parts.
Good luck.
Scott of the Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
Rotoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
You should pick up a copy of Dave Richard's Guzziology, it'll explain how everything works on a guzzi, he's the owner of Moto International in Seattle. He's one of the nicest and most helpful guys you'll ever meet or talk to, I wish all motorcycle dealers were as fair and knowledgeable as him. I'm really lucky to have him close by.

You should probably be doing an oil change on the transmission and the final drive.

Check for oil leaks in the bell housing of the engine (the back part of the crankcase block where it meets the transmission and the clutch is housed) by touching the bottom of the joint and feeling for oil. I'm not sure if this is common with the breva 750 but it's a known issue on the V11 engine.

Are the passenger pegs on the side of the bike that it went down on? they might have gotten bent backwards on that side so they bind in their slot. I'd suggest removing the pivot pin and having a look.

you might have to replace the saddle, in my experience with guzzis (not much) the saddles do NOT behave that way. Stock seats for the bike are pretty reasonable in price that I've seen.
Rotoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Check for leaks along the Shaft and underneath the Cylinder, the Bell-housing and around the Starter Motor.

I would go ahead and change all of the Oil "Shaft, Engine, Transmission" And check the valves as well.

Other then that? Not too sure.. I'll let some of the more experienced Guzzi owners chime in.

And yea, the saddle and the Pegs sound like they're messed up.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
velofish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Wildguzzi:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

Also, I believe some of the 750 Brevas were prone to using up their engine oil in a very short amount of time. Like after a long, fast day. Worth checking often, or getting a sump extender.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Motoduc1 OP
backtrackvideo.com

Oddometer: 929
Good advice. Thanks all.

Kent
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Limey 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Give Jim a call at Neds Guzzi in Riverside Ia...319-648-3241 He doesn't carry much inventory but he is very knowledgeable about MG and he is a super guy to talk to..he is very fond of the MG marque.and would be happy to answer any questions you may have....
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote