Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #137
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
we'll see.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
Impossible.
If BMW can plate a 1600-6 for just over 20K, I'm thinking Motus can squeak in under 20K base. They have none of the overhead that weighs down BMW and if they are smart, they will not hire a 'dealer development manager' .... they will only talk to dealers that call them expressing interest in the brand and are keen to co-build the bike with the maker.....begging existing dealers to take on a new brand is death as this newly appointed dealer has no skin in the game.....with only two models on offer, Motus should appoint about 50 geographically diverse US dealers, iron out any design problems and consider spin off models (naked) after a loyal customer base is developed. Spend promotional money on Iron Butt entries instead of scatter-gun promotional entries in unfocused rally/motorcycle show entries. The internet and sites like ADV have changed marketing for toys completely and I'm hoping Motus doesn't waste dollar-one on splashy full page ads in the likes of Cycle World and the rest of the dying print media. Each dealer is going to buy a bike for a demo and a couple for inventory. If they can fully satisfy their first 250 customers, word out of the cloud will carry them the rest of the way up the hill. They are obviously well financed and have the money for the trip, otherwise the companies building the engines and frames would not be on board. They're building 'hand's on' machines that owners can take home, work on, hop up and flog.....we'll see about the price but it won't be Bimota'-like. Bruce

PS: This will tell you how serious Motus is about the engine.....and why so many 200hp Motus motorcycles will be on the road within 12 months of first delivery: the tech. is already in existence..... http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/PDF/RET_May2010_sm.pdf

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750

funhouse screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 02:35 PM
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #138
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Maybe I have overstated the likely price.

Is Norton a good benchmark? They too are doing a new bike with new engine. What is the expected $US price - about $20K?

Anybody know Norton's production forecasts?

Looking at things from the other side, if the production Motuses really are fully sorted, then at $20K and only hundreds a year built, you'd expect a long waiting list.

And yes, that engine article says a turbo version is already under development.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #139
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Maybe I have overstated the likely price.

Is Norton a good benchmark? They too are doing a new bike with new engine. What is the expected $US price - about $20K?

Anybody know Norton's production forecasts?

Looking at things from the other side, if the production Motuses really are fully sorted, then at $20K and only hundreds a year built, you'd expect a long waiting list.

And yes, that engine article says a turbo version is already under development.
That (turbo) is just over the top! This bike is for a 'special' breed of cat, so I doubt even the normally aspirated model will be under 20K. Especially since the engine is specially made and has direct injection. Futher, the bike will be limited production. None of the above are elements of a reasonably priced bike.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #140
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Oddometer: 304
The local rag had quick write-up of an the event at Barber Motorsports Museum: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/03/..._motus_ms.html

I had an invite but couldn't get there due to other obligations. Just glad this one is past the vapor-ware status so many other such projects seemed to be. Looking forward to seeing more on this.
wulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #141
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
That (turbo) is just over the top! This bike is for a 'special' breed of cat, so I doubt even the normally aspirated model will be under 20K. Especially since the engine is specially made and has direct injection. Futher, the bike will be limited production. None of the above are elements of a reasonably priced bike.
"Especially since the engine is specially made" What you saying is the other mfger's go in the shop, work for years creating an engine, then figure out what it would be good for? Or are you regurgitating the propaganda brochure. You right about the direct injection, as the others just spray and hope some will get in the cylinders, which is called spray and hope.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #142
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
"Especially since the engine is specially made" What you saying is the other mfger's go in the shop, work for years creating an engine, then figure out what it would be good for? Or are you regurgitating the propaganda brochure. You right about the direct injection, as the others just spray and hope some will get in the cylinders, which is called spray and hope.
No, he's referring to a purpose designed engine for this one machine (currently), whereas other manufacturers will often use one engine in various states of displacement/tune across multiple models.

It's not an act with you, it is...

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #143
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
No, he's referring to a purpose designed engine for this one machine (currently), whereas other manufacturers will often use one engine in various states of displacement/tune across multiple models.

It's not an act with you, it is...
Motus has only one prototype of a sport tourer, of course its "specially" built, if they design a cruiser with the same engine it won't be" special" anymore. What I read is that the engine was designed with the hope that others might use it, including car companies, motus own words. No, its not act but it must be with you.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #144
Starwarrior
Wannabe

Oddometer: 86
Can we just focus for a minute?

Oh, and this too:

Some things I notice when I look at these pics: The front fairing neatly mimics the Givi V35's. I don't know if they're planning on including a "chin" to the fairing, as was in the original sketch. I also think it's interesting that they put V35's on the bike; they're certainly a popular bag, and Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia all use them as "factory" luggage on some of their models (Ninja 1000, Bandit 1250ST, Mana, respectively). The drawback is that unlike other factory luggage systems (BMW, Yamaha FJR, Kawi C-14), the givis leave behind an unsightly (to some) tubular rack. Perhaps these are simply part of the prototyping process, but with the fairing styled as it is, the implication is otherwise. I'm curious to see her with her "pants down."

Also, for those in the Daytona Area, this bike will be at the Progressive IMS at the Ocean Center at 1400 on 10-Mar-2011. Admission is free as it was last year.*

* Of course last year it was free because all the big manufacturers are at the Speedway with their free demos, and all that was at the IMS last year were Zero Motorcycles (with free demos, though), stretched 'Busas and ass-less chaps. So it will be worth showing up to be there at 2 o'clock.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #145
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
This looks like a KTM headlight..

The Motus VP sitting on it... the bike looks diminutive..

the back end..

Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #146
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Want.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #147
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
I'm startin' to dig it.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #148
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
The Motus VP sitting on it... the bike looks diminutive..

Check the video, that's just an optical illusion of the angle of the camera looking down on the bike.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #149
SpeedwayRN
Go Spies!

Oddometer: 80

I'm IN. Who do I make the check out to?
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #150
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
techie question............