Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #1681
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfslater98 View Post
Sigh. Was hoping someone else caught this, but I guess it's my turn to be "that guy".
Pics, or it didn't happen.
" I ran a business for about 20 years. "

"That guy" might not want to see those Pics. Just saying.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #1682
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
Now let's put this in terms of a motorcycle. I don't want to buy a bike for $X. Then stick the stock cheap seat in the garage after I've saved up for the custom seat. Then I have to find space for that cheap stock exhaust that didn't do diddly for me after I asked for a new one for my birthday. Oh, then for the anniversary, can I have it Dyno'd?

HELL NO! I want a freaking bike all set up and ready to ride with all of the goodies damnit!
Agree with extreme prejudice... which is why I bought a new K1200R: Stock seat was (and still is) perfect; stock exhaust performs better than most aftermarket; bike has all the goodies (including ESA, heated grips, ABS, trip computer etc); innovative front suspension which is brilliant for sport/touring; came with an optional sport fairing which pokes a huge hole in the wind without becoming a car windshield; full BMW luggage system clicks right on; long distance touring no sweat... negotiated deal: $15k out the door. And more performance than even a nut-case would need. Bike (except for paint) is 100% stock.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #1683
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Agree with extreme prejudice... which is why I bought a new K1200R: Stock seat was (and still is) perfect; stock exhaust performs better than most aftermarket; bike has all the goodies (including ESA, heated grips, ABS, trip computer etc); innovative front suspension which is brilliant for sport/touring; came with an optional sport fairing which pokes a huge hole in the wind without becoming a car windshield; full BMW luggage system clicks right on; long distance touring no sweat... negotiated deal: $15k out the door. And more performance than even a nut-case would need. Bike (except for paint) is 100% stock.
You forgot "systems that are so overly complex that you can't work on them yourself, wildly expensive parts, and a final drive that's known to fail." Ask me how I know.

Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #1684
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post

I don't think anybody would dispute that for somebody who likes to sport-tour on naked-ish inline fours and likes shaft-drive and BMWs, the K1200/1300Rs are very nice bikes, and offer very good performance and features for the money.

But that isn't everybody. For the others, some claimed Motus design features that might strike a chord:

- engine is a V-four. Different feel, better for some.

- engine is 35 per cent more capacity. Different way to get performance, which some may prefer.

- front suspension is Ohlins NIX, even on the base model. Not everybody will appreciate that (nor the high rate of seal maintenance that tends to come with Ohlins forks ) but some will pay for the subtlety.

- rear suspension incorporates ride-height adjustment, presumably via an adjustable rod in the linkage a la many Ducatis. Again, won't matter to most; others will enjoy the ability to fine-tune their steering response.

- fuel tank carries 22.7 litres, more than most. No conclusions yet on whether that will translate to more range, but it might.

- spec wheels are forged aluminium, not cast, on the base model (BST carbon on the "R"). Lighter, possibly stronger, sharper steering. Again, not everybody will care, others will appreciate them.

- the stock Givi cases are both "full-sized" at 34-litres, shaped to hold a full-face helmet if desired.

- chain drive and a 58-inch wheelbase. Again, not necessarily better than shaft drive and 62.4-inches, but some will prefer it.

- centrestand stock on both models. Some don't like those; for others they are indispensable in a tourer and it is nice that they appear to have been thought of up-front.

The specs I have quoted are from the Motus web page here.

Interestingly, some items have been upgraded from the spec cards released early this year, with the base model getting the NIX fork and forged wheels from the "R", and the R getting the BSTs added. That is a pleasing direction for them to be taking.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #1685
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Moronic, Scrannel was agreeing with Gadget Girl's point about wanting a bike all set up and not a bike that wants tweaking and upgrading, even if doing your own tweaks and upgrades might save money.

I don't believe they were trying to directly compare the MOTUS and K1200R, just that they're both relatively expensive bikes with extensive equipment from the factory.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #1686
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
Moronic, Scrannel was agreeing with Gadget Girl's point about wanting a bike all set up and not a bike that wants tweaking and upgrading, even if doing your own tweaks and upgrades might save money.

I don't believe they were trying to directly compare the MOTUS and K1200R, just that they're both relatively expensive bikes with extensive equipment from the factory.
Sure, and that's why he pointed out he could get it all from BMW for just $15K.

But I can get a bit reactive. At least the stuff on the parts upgrades is fresh.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #1687
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Sure, and that's why he pointed out he could get it all from BMW for just $15K.

But I can get a bit reactive. At least the stuff on the parts upgrades is fresh.
Hey Moronic... on a lighter aside, when I was a dumb-ass kid I drove a BMW from Berlin to Perth. Amazing beaches -- unless they're all built up now. Great riding! Anyway, the $15k was a negotiated price. List was closer to $20k out the door. But yes, the real point to G. Girl was there is indeed a number of buyers out there who want a quality machine. And for some of the reasons she named, but summed up as: "Out of the box and good to go."
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1688
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
There has never been a bike that can fit everyone and there never will. The best that can be done is getting it close to right for the majority and let folks tweak as needed. The concept of giving the bike all the trick components is nice but some will still want to swap and add different items, part of th allure of owning a bike is the modding it to make it yours. I still believe they would be better off having a customizable built to order bike for people that have the money. You pick the wheels, seat, CF bits, heated or not heated grips/seat, size of windscreen etc..etc...etc...cost varies on your needs. In the end I hope they do succeed, we can't have enough American made products in today's world. Just think if they do take off and employ 300-400 people with decent jobs, how cool would that be. They have a tough road to hoe however. That said maybe them seemingly being slow out of the gate is actually them taking there time to get it done right. Either way good luck to the MOTUS crew.......

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1689
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
I don't think anybody would dispute that for somebody who likes to sport-tour on naked-ish inline fours and likes shaft-drive and BMWs, the K1200/1300Rs are very nice bikes, and offer very good performance and features for the money.

But that isn't everybody. For the others, some claimed Motus design features that might strike a chord:

- engine is a V-four. Different feel, better for some.

- engine is 35 per cent more capacity. Different way to get performance, which some may prefer.

- front suspension is Ohlins NIX, even on the base model. Not everybody will appreciate that (nor the high rate of seal maintenance that tends to come with Ohlins forks ) but some will pay for the subtlety.

- rear suspension incorporates ride-height adjustment, presumably via an adjustable rod in the linkage a la many Ducatis. Again, won't matter to most; others will enjoy the ability to fine-tune their steering response.

- fuel tank carries 22.7 litres, more than most. No conclusions yet on whether that will translate to more range, but it might.

- spec wheels are forged aluminium, not cast, on the base model (BST carbon on the "R"). Lighter, possibly stronger, sharper steering. Again, not everybody will care, others will appreciate them.

- the stock Givi cases are both "full-sized" at 34-litres, shaped to hold a full-face helmet if desired.

- chain drive and a 58-inch wheelbase. Again, not necessarily better than shaft drive and 62.4-inches, but some will prefer it.

- centrestand stock on both models. Some don't like those; for others they are indispensable in a tourer and it is nice that they appear to have been thought of up-front.

The specs I have quoted are from the Motus web page here.

Interestingly, some items have been upgraded from the spec cards released early this year, with the base model getting the NIX fork and forged wheels from the "R", and the R getting the BSTs added. That is a pleasing direction for them to be taking.

Looks like they dumped Two Bro's for Akrapovic. Another step up. Maybe the money saved on the GDI is being put elsewhere? I guess the low volume means no cats (none visible in the photo)?

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #1690
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Looks like they dumped Two Bro's for Akrapovic. Another step up. Maybe the money saved on the GDI is being put elsewhere? I guess the low volume means no cats (none visible in the photo)?
It's been a few years since I designed exhaust systems for a living, but I'm having a really hard time believing the exhaust system shown will meet legal noise requirements for a new bike. I'm wondering who is developing the exhaust for them, I'd be surprised if an aftermarket company could/would. But then I already said that about the TBR system they had earlier so I'll shut up now.

AND FWIW I want Motus to succeed so don't read more into that than just an observation.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #1691
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Man I love the look of that bike. All motor and totally visible.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #1692
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,095
Nice looking ride, I'd like to give it whirl. The best true sport tourer that I have ever ridden is my brother's ST4s.....This needs to be twice as good.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #1693
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,108
I had the pleasure of owning an ST4s - awesome bike - but the maintenance cost had me selling after the first big service. Too bad...
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1694
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I had the pleasure of owning an ST4s - awesome bike - but the maintenance cost had me selling after the first big service. Too bad...
Agreed, the rubber band valve timing & desmo valves are a real PITA for a high mileage ride...You have to do it yourself to keep cost under control....but very time consuming.....but it IS a nice ride.

Motus won't have this issue.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #1695
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 431
artical in car and driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...king-tech-dept