Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #1726
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So I was just on E-bay, and the number of fucking retarded Harley "custom" bikes going for well over 30K is truly astounding.

WHy will people pay 30K for a a (badly) lowered road glide that had the fairing removed, a 30" front wheel put on with flames for spokes and a sparkly purple paint job but bitch about paying 30K for an extremely functional, usable, fast, practical, well engineered motorcycle like the Motus? I just don't get it.
I used to have a customer that had a Big Dog custom. It was about three or four years old (at the time) and had about 500 miles on it.

He called each spring for us to come out and pick it up. Take it in to the shop and have its oil changed and battery charged/replaced.

One time, I was the one who was tasked with going over to the guy's house to pick up the bike...

He lived in a suburban Faux Chateau. Garage that was three cars wide and two cars deep.

His Big Dog was in the garage with his dually, his cigarette boat, and his RV. They were all painted alike. White, with some swoopy/splashy '90s-looking graphics.

He was the type of guy who willingly pays $30k for butt jewelry, but could care less about a machine built for riders. He'd never take a second look at a motorcycle like the MOTUS.

Based on what I saw at our recent "biker rally", "Bikes, Blues, & BBQ", here in my area, there are LOTS of guys just like him.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1727
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Get what?

That thier old target demo is dying off, so they need to target the Vision/E-Glide geezers?
Yep. There is even a 'Baggers' magazine. Lowered road kings with ape hangers are the new choppers.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #1728
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Yep. There is even a 'Baggers' magazine. Lowered road kings with ape hangers are the new choppers.
This is factual.

Though, some guys are building pretty neat baggers in their garage w the 120 motor, without lowering the bike. They look like fun.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1729
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,321
I really like this motus design. I'd love to see them do a more "adventure" style bike a la stelvio or GS too....I need to be able to go on at least gravel roads.

If they will get some of these out for people to test ride, I'm seriously considering one,

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1730
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So I was just on E-bay, and the number of fucking retarded Harley "custom" bikes going for well over 30K is truly astounding.

WHy will people pay 30K for a a (badly) lowered road glide that had the fairing removed, a 30" front wheel put on with flames for spokes and a sparkly purple paint job but bitch about paying 30K for an extremely functional, usable, fast, practical, well engineered motorcycle like the Motus? I just don't get it.
I would NOT buy such a bike. I would not pay that much money for any bike period. Not a Harley, not a Harley clone, not a Motus.

As for the Chevy small block, I have built dozens of them, from stock to full blown drag race engines. It has been in public domain now for decades, if you are referring to the "old" '80s and older design. The new engine is a whole different animal. You can build an old style SBC from the ground up, starting with a Dart block, and not use a single GM part. GM has given up on that engine and moved on, just like Harley did with the EVO. I still consider it the best engine any car company has ever made. NASCAR gets over 800 HP out of them, and built right they will easily last past half a million miles (you will either have to use a gear driven cam, or change the timing chain several times)

As for the Motus, why hasn't there been a funeral for that thing yet. Dig a deep hole for Motus. Bring back Buell.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #1731
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would NOT buy such a bike. I would not pay that much money for any bike period. Not a Harley, not a Harley clone, not a Motus.

As for the Chevy small block, I have built dozens of them, from stock to full blown drag race engines. It has been in public domain now for decades, if you are referring to the "old" '80s and older design. The new engine is a whole different animal. You can build an old style SBC from the ground up, starting with a Dart block, and not use a single GM part. GM has given up on that engine and moved on, just like Harley did with the EVO. I still consider it the best engine any car company has ever made. NASCAR gets over 800 HP out of them, and built right they will easily last past half a million miles (you will either have to use a gear driven cam, or change the timing chain several times)

As for the Motus, why hasn't there been a funeral for that thing yet. Dig a deep hole for Motus. Bring back Buell.
Buell is back--where have you been?

Too bad they are more expensive than the Motus IIRC.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #1732
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Buell is back--where have you been?

Too bad they are more expensive than the Motus IIRC.
The current Erik Buell Racing street-legal superbike 1190RS retails for ~$40k, but they plan to introduce 3 new models next year each retailing for less than $20k. Source:

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #1733
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The current Erik Buell Racing street-legal superbike 1190RS retails for ~$40k, but they plan to introduce 3 new models next year each retailing for less than $20k. Source:

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
I hope those models don't end up as vaporware. Since Erik is a known quantity hopefully the capital will flow freely his way, unlike Fischer.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #1734
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I hope those models don't end up as vaporware. Since Erik is a known quantity hopefully the capital will flow freely his way, unlike Fischer.
I'm pretty sure they're not vaporware. Besides whatever other investment cash they've collected, EBR received $20M in foriegn investment this summer:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee....html?page=all

Back on topic, I do hope Motus is successful with their bike and they're eventually able to come out with a reasonably affordable version.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #1735
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Where are all of the Motus motorcycles?............thought that they would be on every street corner by now?
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1736
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,142
Didn't see one at the Long Beach IMS thingy today... I guess that doesn't mean much though. Also absent were the Guzzi's, MV's, Aprilia's, and probably many more.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #1737
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Just because it hasn't been shown for several pages -

So fantastically sweet it's painful:

Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #1738
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Didn't see one at the Long Beach IMS thingy today... I guess that doesn't mean much though. Also absent were the Guzzi's, MV's, Aprilia's, and probably many more.

I was kinda hoping to see one there today too, but I didn't really expect them.
I understand the show. Promoters charge a pretty penny to be there. This is KTM's first year there, and even Triumph was a recent add because of the high entry price.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #1739
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Just because it hasn't been shown for several pages -

So fantastically sweet it's painful:

Is that the new model Guzzi with 2 cylinders on each side?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #1740
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Is that the new model Guzzi with 2 cylinders on each side?

I'm guessing the number of Motus dealers makes Guzzi look like Walmart by comparison. But honestly, yeah - I love the look of the Guzzi motors, and that's what makes this bike so cool IMO.