ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #1726
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So I was just on E-bay, and the number of fucking retarded Harley "custom" bikes going for well over 30K is truly astounding.

WHy will people pay 30K for a a (badly) lowered road glide that had the fairing removed, a 30" front wheel put on with flames for spokes and a sparkly purple paint job but bitch about paying 30K for an extremely functional, usable, fast, practical, well engineered motorcycle like the Motus? I just don't get it.
I used to have a customer that had a Big Dog custom. It was about three or four years old (at the time) and had about 500 miles on it.

He called each spring for us to come out and pick it up. Take it in to the shop and have its oil changed and battery charged/replaced.

One time, I was the one who was tasked with going over to the guy's house to pick up the bike...

He lived in a suburban Faux Chateau. Garage that was three cars wide and two cars deep.

His Big Dog was in the garage with his dually, his cigarette boat, and his RV. They were all painted alike. White, with some swoopy/splashy '90s-looking graphics.

He was the type of guy who willingly pays $30k for butt jewelry, but could care less about a machine built for riders. He'd never take a second look at a motorcycle like the MOTUS.

Based on what I saw at our recent "biker rally", "Bikes, Blues, & BBQ", here in my area, there are LOTS of guys just like him.

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1727
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer
 
Grainbelt's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnyhappiness
Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Get what?

That thier old target demo is dying off, so they need to target the Vision/E-Glide geezers?
Yep. There is even a 'Baggers' magazine. Lowered road kings with ape hangers are the new choppers.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #1728
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 7,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Yep. There is even a 'Baggers' magazine. Lowered road kings with ape hangers are the new choppers.
This is factual.

Though, some guys are building pretty neat baggers in their garage w the 120 motor, without lowering the bike. They look like fun.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1729
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,321
I really like this motus design. I'd love to see them do a more "adventure" style bike a la stelvio or GS too....I need to be able to go on at least gravel roads.

If they will get some of these out for people to test ride, I'm seriously considering one,
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #1730
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So I was just on E-bay, and the number of fucking retarded Harley "custom" bikes going for well over 30K is truly astounding.

WHy will people pay 30K for a a (badly) lowered road glide that had the fairing removed, a 30" front wheel put on with flames for spokes and a sparkly purple paint job but bitch about paying 30K for an extremely functional, usable, fast, practical, well engineered motorcycle like the Motus? I just don't get it.
I would NOT buy such a bike. I would not pay that much money for any bike period. Not a Harley, not a Harley clone, not a Motus.

As for the Chevy small block, I have built dozens of them, from stock to full blown drag race engines. It has been in public domain now for decades, if you are referring to the "old" '80s and older design. The new engine is a whole different animal. You can build an old style SBC from the ground up, starting with a Dart block, and not use a single GM part. GM has given up on that engine and moved on, just like Harley did with the EVO. I still consider it the best engine any car company has ever made. NASCAR gets over 800 HP out of them, and built right they will easily last past half a million miles (you will either have to use a gear driven cam, or change the timing chain several times)

As for the Motus, why hasn't there been a funeral for that thing yet. Dig a deep hole for Motus. Bring back Buell.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #1731
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would NOT buy such a bike. I would not pay that much money for any bike period. Not a Harley, not a Harley clone, not a Motus.

As for the Chevy small block, I have built dozens of them, from stock to full blown drag race engines. It has been in public domain now for decades, if you are referring to the "old" '80s and older design. The new engine is a whole different animal. You can build an old style SBC from the ground up, starting with a Dart block, and not use a single GM part. GM has given up on that engine and moved on, just like Harley did with the EVO. I still consider it the best engine any car company has ever made. NASCAR gets over 800 HP out of them, and built right they will easily last past half a million miles (you will either have to use a gear driven cam, or change the timing chain several times)

As for the Motus, why hasn't there been a funeral for that thing yet. Dig a deep hole for Motus. Bring back Buell.
Buell is back--where have you been?

Too bad they are more expensive than the Motus IIRC.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #1732
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Buell is back--where have you been?

Too bad they are more expensive than the Motus IIRC.
The current Erik Buell Racing street-legal superbike 1190RS retails for ~$40k, but they plan to introduce 3 new models next year each retailing for less than $20k. Source:

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #1733
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The current Erik Buell Racing street-legal superbike 1190RS retails for ~$40k, but they plan to introduce 3 new models next year each retailing for less than $20k. Source:

http://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews...g_expands.aspx
I hope those models don't end up as vaporware. Since Erik is a known quantity hopefully the capital will flow freely his way, unlike Fischer.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #1734
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hughlysses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Oddometer: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I hope those models don't end up as vaporware. Since Erik is a known quantity hopefully the capital will flow freely his way, unlike Fischer.
I'm pretty sure they're not vaporware. Besides whatever other investment cash they've collected, EBR received $20M in foriegn investment this summer:

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee....html?page=all

Back on topic, I do hope Motus is successful with their bike and they're eventually able to come out with a reasonably affordable version.
__________________
2007 Buell XB12X Ulysses
1983 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Hughlysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #1735
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer
 
whisperquiet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: 62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 887
Where are all of the Motus motorcycles?............thought that they would be on every street corner by now?
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1736
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.
 
Krasniewski's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: LA - Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,142
Didn't see one at the Long Beach IMS thingy today... I guess that doesn't mean much though. Also absent were the Guzzi's, MV's, Aprilia's, and probably many more.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #1737
Unleaded
Unit Train
 
Unleaded's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Hellinois
Oddometer: 738
Just because it hasn't been shown for several pages -

So fantastically sweet it's painful:

__________________
www.motorcycletravelers.com
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #1738
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Didn't see one at the Long Beach IMS thingy today... I guess that doesn't mean much though. Also absent were the Guzzi's, MV's, Aprilia's, and probably many more.


I was kinda hoping to see one there today too, but I didn't really expect them.
I understand the show. Promoters charge a pretty penny to be there. This is KTM's first year there, and even Triumph was a recent add because of the high entry price.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #1739
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Just because it hasn't been shown for several pages -

So fantastically sweet it's painful:

Is that the new model Guzzi with 2 cylinders on each side?
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #1740
Unleaded
Unit Train
 
Unleaded's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Hellinois
Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Is that the new model Guzzi with 2 cylinders on each side?


I'm guessing the number of Motus dealers makes Guzzi look like Walmart by comparison. But honestly, yeah - I love the look of the Guzzi motors, and that's what makes this bike so cool IMO.
__________________
www.motorcycletravelers.com
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014