Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #1756
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post

I'm guessing the number of Motus dealers makes Guzzi look like Walmart by comparison. But honestly, yeah - I love the look of the Guzzi motors, and that's what makes this bike so cool IMO.
I also love the look of the Guzzi motors, as well as the old Honda CX/GL500/650 motors, and the ST1100/1300 motor would probably have looked great if Honda hadn't covered it up. But $40K plus? How many Guzzis can you buy with that?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #1757
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
How do you know those others are "far better sport tourers"? How do you know the Motus comes up short on performance and functionality? You're speculating at best, because you haven't ridden it and you don't really have any factual info to base that on. When it hits the market, some tests of the actual production versions are conducted and written up, and you've taken a decent ride on one, THEN you have some basis for these statements.

PhilB
If post content on Advrider equaled work, Jerry would have long and accomplished career in speculation.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #1758
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh View Post
i am speculating...
oh. Ok...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1759
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If post content on Advrider equaled work, Jerry would have long and accomplished career in speculation.
He lost me when he said the Virago was a comfy cruiser. One of my riding buddies in highschool had a Virago 750 with forward controls and it had one of the worst saddles. Ever. So soft 20mins had your tailbone bouncing off the seat pan, I rather do 1000km on a RZ500...oh wait, I did do that.

Hey Jerry...be happy riding your 80's cruisers on the occasional summer weekend, if that's all you can afford fine. But shitting all over a bike you'll never be able to own, and have no concept as to it's abilities...really why bother even posting?

Motus will never be legal to plate in Canuckistan so the issue is moot for me, but a pair of guys built a bike to suit them, all the power to them if they make a buck out of it. Looks to be my perfect bike that all other "do-all sport tourers" shoot for but miss the mark somewhere.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #1760
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
As I said, speculation, but based on very real information. Nobody can ride every bike made. I consider magazine road tests and owners feelings about their bikes to be pretty accurate, and if so, the Concours, FJR, and ST are some pretty great sport tourers. Would anyone here who is not rich seriously consider paying over $40K for a Motus? Does anyone here actually intend to buy one IF they ever they are ever available, or is this thread just one really long argument. I look forward to the unlikely day when a real Motus owner shows up on this thread.

As for the Virago, along with the Vulcan it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. I'm referring to the '90 and up dual shock 750 and 1100. These were bikes that could be ridden all day in comfort (by me anyway) and even handled great. Yamaha didn't seem to realize what they had. They made a huge mistake replacing them with the Harley copy V-Star. As for an RZ500, or any other sportbike for that matter, I wouldn't last 100 miles on it until the pain became unbearable. (again, for me) That's what I like so much about the FB6. It's both a cruiser and a touring bike, and it is NOT a Japanese v-twin. I hope it does not go the way of the Valkyrie, another great touring cruiser (or was it a sport tourer, considering it's great handling) It was comfortable anyway.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1761
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As I said, speculation, but based on very real information. Nobody can ride every bike made. I consider magazine road tests and owners feelings about their bikes to be pretty accurate, and if so, the Concours, FJR, and ST are some pretty great sport tourers. Would anyone here who is not rich seriously consider paying over $40K for a Motus? Does anyone here actually intend to buy one IF they ever they are ever available, or is this thread just one really long argument. I look forward to the unlikely day when a real Motus owner shows up on this thread.

As for the Virago, along with the Vulcan it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. I'm referring to the '90 and up dual shock 750 and 1100. These were bikes that could be ridden all day in comfort (by me anyway) and even handled great. Yamaha didn't seem to realize what they had. They made a huge mistake replacing them with the Harley copy V-Star. As for an RZ500, or any other sportbike for that matter, I wouldn't last 100 miles on it until the pain became unbearable. (again, for me) That's what I like so much about the FB6. It's both a cruiser and a touring bike, and it is NOT a Japanese v-twin. I hope it does not go the way of the Valkyrie, another great touring cruiser (or was it a sport tourer, considering it's great handling) It was comfortable anyway.

The 3 bikes you mentioned make about 40 less horsepower than the top spec MOTUS, and also weigh more. I'm confident that its level of performance is a notch or 3 above the others, and could likely also make a better track-day bike for those inclined.

Horsepower is never cheap, and 185 is a LOT.

Having owned and ridden many 80's bikes I can see your Virago's forks wiggling now.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1762
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As for the Virago, along with the Vulcan it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. I'm referring to the '90 and up dual shock 750 and 1100. These were bikes that could be ridden all day in comfort (by me anyway) and even handled great.

You are talking about these things, right?

I spent a few days on one back when they were first released. It was surprisingly entertaining and even comfortable for an hour or so. And ridden within its limits, it did indeed steer quite well.

Nevertheless, those limits were somewhat restrictive.

If you are happy with the way one of these handles, then I understand fully why you cannot not see the value in a Motus. And you are quite right.

The Motus makes sense only for people who would describe a Virago, after riding one through some curves, as a weaving, grinding pile of junk.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #1763
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The 3 bikes you mentioned make about 40 less horsepower than the top spec MOTUS, and also weigh more. I'm confident that its level of performance is a notch or 3 above the others, and could likely also make a better track-day bike for those inclined.

Horsepower is never cheap, and 185 is a LOT.

Having owned and ridden many 80's bikes I can see your Virago's forks wiggling now.
So now the Motus makes 185 crank hp? I read 160 crank awhile back in one of my motorcycle mags...and thats before they downgraded the intake system. So they're claiming a 25hp increase on the top spec 40k dollar bike, with the same engine, with just bolt-on upgrades? I'm a little skeptical on the 185 number, I suspect it'll be substantially less on the actual showroom production bikes. But then most all bike makers get a little optimistic with crank hp numbers
Even if it does come with closer to 160 worst case tho, its still going to be a very quick sports tourer....the power to weight ratio will be very nice compared to its competition.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #1764
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
So now the Motus makes 185 crank hp? I read 160 crank awhile back in one of my motorcycle mags...and thats before they downgraded the intake system. So they're claiming a 25hp increase on the top spec 40k dollar bike, with the same engine, with just bolt-on upgrades? I'm a little skeptical on the 185 number, I suspect it'll be substantially less on the actual showroom production bikes.
The MST has a claimed 165 and the MST-R has a claimed 185. These have been the numbers tossed around for a quite some time now, so it's nothing new.

Source
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #1765
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 238
Ugh. Can't believe there is a Virago photo in here.

There... That's better. I've liked the Motus since I first saw the concept drawings, and would love to buy one. However it's about 4.5 times more than my bike budget right now.

Maybe in 5 years I can find a nice used specimen for a better price. Then again I am cheap, plenty of people spend LOTS of money on motorcycles, so why not a Motus? That engine noise alone is worth the price of admission.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #1766
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
How did the $40k+ price tag get thrown into the mix? The base is $31k and the fancy model is $37k.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1767
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
How did the $40k+ price tag get thrown into the mix? The base is $31k and the fancy model is $37k.
Options and/or after taxes fees?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #1768
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
That engine noise alone is worth the price of admission.

I like the Motus and was looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. So I rode down to Barber for the Vintage festival and from there into Birmingham for the event they had at a pizza place.
Both bikes were sitting unattended out front while the Motus guys were eating and talking. We went across the street to eat and the bikes were still there. So I sat on the lower spec one.It was pretty nice , but no one tossed me the key.
Finally I went up to the patio and asked one them if we could hear it run. He came down and started it and reved it up a few times.I was standing off to the left front so the pipe music was directed away from me. the overwhelming sound from my vantage point was gear whine. I guess it has to be expected with the big 90 degree bevels in there, but it was a little off-putting for me.
I do wish them luck and hope they build thousands and send out a demo truck to a dealer near me.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1769
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I like the Motus and was looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. So I rode down to Barber for the Vintage festival and from there into Birmingham for the event they had at a pizza place.
Both bikes were sitting unattended out front while the Motus guys were eating and talking. We went across the street to eat and the bikes were still there. So I sat on the lower spec one.It was pretty nice , but no one tossed me the key.
Finally I went up to the patio and asked one them if we could hear it run. He came down and started it and reved it up a few times.I was standing off to the left front so the pipe music was directed away from me. the overwhelming sound from my vantage point was gear whine. I guess it has to be expected with the big 90 degree bevels in there, but it was a little off-putting for me.
I do wish them luck and hope they build thousands and send out a demo truck to a dealer near me.
You've never ridden a Triumph triple then either I'd guess. They have a distinctive whine that some people can't stand. To me it's just mechanical music, especially at around 8,000rpm. For the Motus the symphony just kicks in a little sooner.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1770
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
You've never ridden a Triumph triple then either I'd guess. They have a distinctive whine that some people can't stand. To me it's just mechanical music, especially at around 8,000rpm. For the Motus the symphony just kicks in a little sooner.
You guessed wrong.
I rented a T-bird back in '97 for a week in California. Did about 1100 miles on it. I've test ridden several others from the Tiger and Speed Triple to the Rocket 3.
None of them have anywhere near the gear whine of the Motus.
Heck, my '75 Z1B Kawasaki had more primary gear noise than the Triumphs. I also have a bevel drive 860 Ducati , those motors have multiple sets of bevel drives to the cams plus gear drive primary. You can hear it all and it is lovely music.
The Motus primary , not so much.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote