User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #1771
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,371
When can we buy one?

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #1772
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
When can we buy one?

No word from the mothership themselves.

That above statement didn't suggest that they ran out of money and folded...why that seems to be the first thing that some go to, I have no idea.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #1773
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
When can we buy one?

According to the website, late 2012. That gives them another 19 days to get them to one of the dealers listed here:

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/locate.php

Methinks they won't make this timetable
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #1774
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
According to the website, late 2012. That gives them another 19 days to get them to one of the dealers listed here:

So the one in GA is at European Motorsports... lol
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #1775
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post

This is starting to remind me abit of the Norton V-8, the Bimota V-Due, and many more "failures to launch" that I can't recollect right now. I wish them luck

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 04:39 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #1776
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As I said, speculation, but based on very real information. Nobody can ride every bike made. I consider magazine road tests and owners feelings about their bikes to be pretty accurate, and if so, the Concours, FJR, and ST are some pretty great sport tourers. Would anyone here who is not rich seriously consider paying over $40K for a Motus? Does anyone here actually intend to buy one IF they ever they are ever available, or is this thread just one really long argument. I look forward to the unlikely day when a real Motus owner shows up on this thread. ...
First, you and a few others are saying "over $40K", when it isn't. The base model will be about $30K, and the fancy version $36K.

Second, you don't have to be rich to afford that. That's about the *average* cost of a new car; I bet there are tons of people here who have cars worth more than that, and not a few who have spent more than that on boats. It depends on what you want. I'm not "rich", but I make a decent salary, and I intend to give the Motus a serious look when it comes out. There's another $30K+ bike on my "give it a serious look" list as well, the Bimota Tesi 3D. Not everyone is stuck on '80's cruisers.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #1777
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
First, you and a few others are saying "over $40K", when it isn't. The base model will be about $30K, and the fancy version $36K.

Second, you don't have to be rich to afford that. That's about the *average* cost of a new car; I bet there are tons of people here who have cars worth more than that, and not a few who have spent more than that on boats. It depends on what you want. I'm not "rich", but I make a decent salary, and I intend to give the Motus a serious look when it comes out. There's another $30K+ bike on my "give it a serious look" list as well, the Bimota Tesi 3D. Not everyone is stuck on '80's cruisers.

PhilB
I really hope Motus is able to get off the ground and launch their bike. This looks to have a lot of promise, and maybe when I'm ready for my next, next bike, I'll be in a position to buy one.

If they do, and if I am, this will be the next bike in my parking space.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #1778
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB
From my perspective, you would have to be pretty well off to afford something like that. I am blue collar (and damn proud of it) non union, and it would take the better part of a years pay to buy one of those out the door, by the time everything got added on. In my state the sales tax alone would put the fancy version at $40K. And IF these things ever actually ever go up for sale, I am expecting more price increases by that time.

I do not own an expensive car. The most expensive car (actually a truck) that I ever bought was a new '93 Chevy S10 back in 1993. It was a 4.3 5 speed Tahoe model, and I paid just over $11K off the lot. The most expensive motorcycle I ever bought was my current Kawasaki Vulcan 750, at almost $7K OTD. I only paid $5500 for my used '95 Goldwing with 63,000 miles on it. So I am obviously not the target customer of this thing.

My Vulcan 750 is an '02 model, but is an '85 design. They were made completely unchanged from 1985-2006 except for paint and graphics. I have owned 2 new ones, a '93 and this '02. Together I have over 160,000 miles between them. They are super comfortable, have plenty of power and storage room for solo touring, and they are a proven design. And they require almost no maintenance.

In addition to the 3 sport tourers I've already mentioned, you can also get a brand new R1200GS for $20K Or if your the Harley type, you can get several models, including a fully equipped touring bike (fairing, bags and trunk) for that.

You do not have to be rich, or even financially well off to enjoy riding. All you really need is a bike and some time. And I see no reason why a bike needs to cost whatever this Motus winds up costing. There are a lot of VERY desirable bikes for WAY less. And while I cannot afford to even spend $20K on a bike, it sure sounds a lot better than almost twice that.

But an even bigger point is that everybody is arguing over a bike that may very well never be available. I don't know how long this forum has existed, but was there ever an Excelsior Henderson thread on here?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #1779
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
From my perspective, you would have to be pretty well off to afford something like that. I am blue collar (and damn proud of it) non union, and it would take the better part of a years pay to buy one of those out the door, by the time everything got added on. In my state the sales tax alone would put the fancy version at $40K. And IF these things ever actually ever go up for sale, I am expecting more price increases by that time.
Then you are not there target market. It doesn't matter how many people won't buy it. It matters how many people will buy it. And there are people who will gladly drop that type of money for a bike. People spend $40 grand on a new Mustang or Camaro as a second car all day long(or even more for a corvette), I'm sure a hand full of those guys would buy a Motus instead.
And please- let's stop using this $40k number. Because if someone is cost conscious they are going for the base model at $31k+.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #1780
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
You do not have to be rich, or even financially well off to enjoy riding. All you really need is a bike and some time. And I see no reason why a bike needs to cost whatever this Motus winds up costing. There are a lot of VERY desirable bikes for WAY less.
I'm not even a huge fan of this bike, but these types of arguments get really old really fast. "Need" this, "need" that. All you really "need." Are you speaking for yourself or for every human being on the planet?

What metric are you using to decide what a motorcycle needs to cost? Does an R1200GS Adv cost more than it needs to cost? Does an 1199 S Tricolore cost more than it needs to cost? What about a CVO Harley? Or the EBR 1190RS? Where do you draw the line? Everyone one of these bikes has a lower cost alternatives, so should that be the standard of measure? How about with automobiles where even "mild exotic" companies like Mercedes and Audi offer top of the line models that cost more than many people's homes? Honestly, how much does a car really "need" to cost?

As someone that has a hard time spending any more than 10K on a bike, the Motus is far beyond my price range. However, if they can hit their target sales numbers, they've succeeded, even if there's a bunch of angry people on ADVRider who are left out. Listen to some of their statements, and you can quickly pick up that MST/MST-R was never meant to go head to head with a 15K sport tourer from Japan or Europe. They may offer another, lower priced model somewhere down the line which would be nice.

30K is steep for a motorcycle, but it's not beyond the reach of the working class assuming one actually wants it; especially when the average cost of an automobile sold today is around 30K, and people will routinely drop nearly 50K+ on something ridiculous like a Suburban.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."

opmike screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 10:11 AM
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #1781
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 718
Motus is beyond my price range, but not beyond my 'need' range.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #1782
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Motus is beyond my price range, but not beyond my 'need' range.
Do you mean need range, or "want" range? Everybody wants expensive stuff, but most can have just as much fun with something a lot cheaper.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #1783
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
I'm not even a huge fan of this bike, but these types of arguments get really old really fast. "Need" this, "need" that. All you really "need." Are you speaking for yourself or for every human being on the planet?

What metric are you using to decide what a motorcycle needs to cost? Does an R1200GS Adv cost more than it needs to cost? Does an 1199 S Tricolore cost more than it needs to cost? What about a CVO Harley? Or the EBR 1190RS? Where do you draw the line? Everyone one of these bikes has a lower cost alternatives, so should that be the standard of measure? How about with automobiles where even "mild exotic" companies like Mercedes and Audi offer top of the line models that cost more than many people's homes? Honestly, how much does a car really "need" to cost?

As someone that has a hard time spending any more than 10K on a bike, the Motus is far beyond my price range. However, if they can hit their target sales numbers, they've succeeded, even if there's a bunch of angry people on ADVRider who are left out. Listen to some of their statements, and you can quickly pick up that MST/MST-R was never meant to go head to head with a 15K sport tourer from Japan or Europe. They may offer another, lower priced model somewhere down the line which would be nice.

30K is steep for a motorcycle, but it's not beyond the reach of the working class assuming one actually wants it; especially when the average cost of an automobile sold today is around 30K, and people will routinely drop nearly 50K+ on something ridiculous like a Suburban.
Really,at the end of the day,if you have to ask,you cant afford it. 30+ grand is indeed the price of an average new car. A good mountain bike with no engine starts at about 3 grand these days,and quickly hits 10 grand if you want a real good one.
Toys are pricey and nobody Needs one,its the "want" where it gets tricky.

A decent used ST1100 can be had for about 3 grand ready to hit the road,some people can just barely afford that but they're still out there riding which is what counts.
Some people can buy a Motus on a whim to go with their latest Ducati/KTM. There's all sorts of folks with all sorts of incomes,quibbling about what or why a Motus should sell for X amount is just babbling on and on.
Limited production bikes arent cheap,never have been,its a push rod V-4 that hauls ass.
Which other company is building a modern pushrod engined sport touring bike?.................. hmmmmm

None. Its not a boring Honda,I like that. It has panache and its American made.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #1784
scooterintexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
And please- let's stop using this $40k number. Because if someone is cost conscious they are going for the base model at $31k+.
Not exactly. If someone is cost conscious they're not spending $31K on a bike - period.
scooterintexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #1785
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The 3 bikes you mentioned make about 40 less horsepower than the top spec MOTUS, and also weigh more. I'm confident that its level of performance is a notch or 3 above the others, and could likely also make a better track-day bike for those inclined.

Horsepower is never cheap, and 185 is a LOT.

Having owned and ridden many 80's bikes I can see your Virago's forks wiggling now.
Virago as one of the best traveling bikes ever,that's a stance not many people take. Cruisers dont lean much,weigh lots,and are meant to profile around on in town usually. The 1 Virago I rode was about all revved out at 65mph,didnt have the gearing to on the hiway.