Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #1846
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
... The point is. The Motus is a high priced and VERY small piece of a VERY small piece of the pie. All the bikes listed above are great bikes! All of the Bikes listed above have good to great dealer networks. All of the bikes above are priced at a third less to half the cost of the Motus.

Tell me again how you think Motus will make it. If a larger company (such as Polaris) bought them they just might have a chance. MIGHT!
And they plan to start at about 300 a year. U.S. roadbike sales are at about 200K in our current depressed economy. If sport-tourers are 1% of that, that's 2000 bikes. The sport-touring market is probably well above average in income, bike knowledge, and demand for functionality. Capturing 300 out of that market seems ambitious, but not ridiculous, if the bike is very good to ride.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #1847
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
I like the thing. Lose the givi barf bags and it looks to be a damn fine bike. I hope it gets picked up... developed, given a price reduction and is around for many years to come.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #1848
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 809
Fwiw....

...I sat on the Motus in Houston during their tour. That bike has THE GREAT RIDING POSITION. I can flat foot it, and the set-up is perfect.

I love this bike, but.......

They will have a helluva time convincing me to buy one without ABS.

When I can go to a Honda store and buy a VFR1200F with ABS and Traction control and Honda development and reliability and dealer support for roughly $15,000, the Motus just becomes a boutique bike for wealthy collectors--not that there's anything WRONG with that, but that's not me.

I REALLY hope they succeed. But don't kid yourself, it will be very, very, very, tough for them to make it.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #1849
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,012
Damn. Another wasted click.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #1850
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...I sat on the Motus in Houston during their tour. That bike has THE GREAT RIDING POSITION. I can flat foot it, and the set-up is perfect. I love this bike, but.......

They will have a helluva time convincing me to buy one without ABS.

Cheers.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #1851
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I like the thing. Lose the givi barf bags and it looks to be a damn fine bike. I hope it gets picked up... developed, given a price reduction and is around for many years to come.
A premium priced sport tourer with cheap Givi luggage. Hopefully they will rethink that if the bike ever goes into production.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1852
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
A premium priced sport tourer with cheap Givi luggage. Hopefully they will rethink that if the bike ever goes into production.
What kind of luggage do you want?

Givis work pretty good and are pretty tough. Nothing wrong with Givi.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1853
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,746
Quote:
Cheap luggage?
Cordura is cheap. No hard bags are cheap.
Did you guys want some Corbin Beetle bags, or some H&B cooler style boxes?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #1854
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Cheap luggage?
Cordura is cheap. No hard bags are cheap.
Did you guys want some Corbin Beetle bags, or some H&B cooler style boxes?

well, there is nothing wrong with givi bags, but on a bike in this price category they could have made more of a "bespoke" bag made specifically for the bike, not something you would buy off the shelf at twisted throttle and slap on your versys (not that there's anything wrong with that)

a random example of bags made specifically for the bike that fit the lines and style better, the norge
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #1855
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
well, there is nothing wrong with givi bags, but on a bike in this price category they could have made more of a "bespoke" bag made specifically for the bike, not something you would buy off the shelf at twisted throttle and slap on your versys (not that there's anything wrong with that)

a random example of bags made specifically for the bike that fit the lines and style better, the norge

200 to 300 Motus per year vs how many Norge sales? Probably a few thousand. In addition I think they also fit other Guzzis as an accesory so even their economy of scale is in a different league.
Bespoke bags would probably have added thousands of dollars to the cost vs. hundreds for the Givi. Honda charges about $1000 for a set these days. I didn't think my Honda/Givi top case was too cheap in any way.
So many around here are bitching about the price already, and side bags are a part time proposition for most.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #1856
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperquiet View Post
She is more available than the Motus will be in the next year......
In other words, I won't be riding either one anytime soon.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #1857
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,375
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
the Norge bags were made to fit a whole line of Guzzis....I had those on my 1200 Sport, they'd fit my Stelvio with the stock mounts - and they're made by a company just like Givi...Nonfango. Those companies make bags for Ducati, Guzzi, Aprilia (Capo, Futura) etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
In addition I think they also fit other Guzzis as an accesory so even their economy of scale is in a different league.
Bespoke bags would probably have added thousands of dollars to the cost vs. hundreds for the Givi. Honda charges about $1000 for a set these days.
The bags for the Norge, when I ordered the color matched red for my 1200 Sport - were around $1,000 with mounting brackets.

For Motus to use Givi bags and have people think they cheaped out....is comical at best.

NO motorcycle manufacturer makes their own luggage - it's all farmed out to the companies like Givi, Nonfango, etc.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 10:44 AM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #1858
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
I think the point of criticism of using the Givi bags isn't that they are inferior, but they lack the image of being one-of-a-kind. They are a generic element to a bike that will rely largely on image and being a one of a kind bike to sell.
It was a marketing decision on their part, and I doubt they will lose any sales for it. If I were interested in the bike I'd prefer it to have unique luggage, although it would not be a sale stopper.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #1859
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
If I were interested in the bike I'd prefer it to have unique luggage, although it would not be a sale stopper.
Are the Givis optional? You don't have to pick the factory cases especially if you're looking for unique; I'm running Pelican luggage on the Uly.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1860
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,012
If your opinion of the bikes is based on the luggage, I think you're missing the point of the bike completely.

Now, Motus. Either send me that hottie in the picture, or send me a bike! (and I already have a bike.....)

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote