Trust me they're coming... soon
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #1967
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Another Excelsior-Henderson here, except they sold a couple thousand bikes before going belly up.
^ ^ ^
Another idiotic post here except - well, except nothing. Just another idiotic post.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #1968
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Another Excelsior-Henderson here, except they sold a couple thousand bikes before going belly up.

Stick to what you know best; Vulcans
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #1969
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
You should do more research. The biz model of EH is nothing like Motus. EH had to have major sales to keep the massive infrastructure afloat. Motus doesn't have that problem.

EH built less than 2k bikes, not all have yet sold.
Research isn't one of his strong suits.

Back to the bike, I would like to see how they manage to couple the longitudinal crankshaft to the transverse gearbox/clutch shafting. I suppose that the gearbox has the right angle gearing built into it? It appears from the pics of the KVM4, that there is a starter gear on the output end of the crank. I suppose that the crank is splined for connection to the gearbox input. Does the motor and gb share the same lube or are they separate?

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT

pmelby screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:32 PM Reason: typo
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #1970
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
Research isn't one of his strong suits.

Back to the bike, I would like to see how they manage to couple the longituding crankshaft to the transverse gearbox/clutch shafting. I suppose that the gearbox has the right angle gearing built into it? It appears from the pics of the KVM4, that there is a starter gear on the output end of the crank. I suppose that the crank is splined for connection to the gearbox input. Does the motor and gb share the same lube or are they separate?
cheers,
melby
I would assume the gearbox is bolt-on as they plan on the engine serving double-duty elsewhere. They look like different castings when you look at photos and the development photos/tests. Pratt/Miller designed the gearbox, kaytech the engine.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1971
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Trust me they're coming... soon
I hope you're right...I like the Motus and think its a very cool ride. I might even pick a used one up a few years down the road, when the price/value ratio becomes more reasonable...thats if it turns out to be a good running, reliable machine.
I guess for now we continue to wait and wonder
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #1972
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I would assume the gearbox is bolt-on as they plan on the engine serving double-duty elsewhere. They look like different castings when you look at photos and the development photos/tests. Pratt/Miller designed the gearbox, kaytech the engine.
I wonder why the Motus people don't start leaking some CAD/SolidWorks type of images of the production bike. Seems like it would help to peak (pique?) interest in forums like this one. I for one, don't give a crap about paint or Givi bags, but would like some details on construction and design, clutch servicability, etc.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #1973
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
When E-H brought their first bikes to Bike Week way back when-ever I went to check them out. I picked up the literature , bought a T-shirt and got on the mailing list.
Why ? It wasn't my cup of tea, another overweight and over chromed cruiser. That didn't really matter to me . I was excited that somebody was going to build a new motorcycle in the U.S.A.
The U.S. had nearly been run out of the motorcycle bussiness by the Japanese brands. H-D pulled some strings and got Ronnie to put a tarriff on the Japanese bikes. In a way that sucked but in the end it worked and American bikes are still with us.
I'm not surprised that E-H failed . The Brothers Hanlon seemed to feed on their own B.S. and their egos helped kill the company.
I have hope that Motus does succeed. They are building a bike that I would like to own.
Still doesn't mean I will . It has to work right and be at the right price for that to happen. So now let's watch and learn.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1974
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
H-D pulled some strings and got Ronnie to put a tarriff on the Japanese bikes. In a way that sucked but in the end it worked and American bikes are still with us.
They also went to the government and said they didn't need the tariffs any longer. The AMF days brought good and bad. When they got the company back they needed a little help for a time before they could compete head to head with the metric bikes on sales numbers.

It worked.

I wish the government regs were not so thick now so it would be a little easier for Motus.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #1975
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

I wish the government regs were not so thick now so it would be a little easier for Motus.
It would be easier for us all

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #1976
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
... H-D pulled some strings and got Ronnie to put a tarriff on the Japanese bikes. ....
You must have missed the part about the International Trade Commission agreeing that the Japanese mc manufacturers were in fact engaging in anti-competitive behavior at the time.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1977
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
You must have missed the part about the International Trade Commission agreeing that the Japanese mc manufacturers were in fact engaging in anti-competitive behavior at the time.
It seems my wording says to you I thought that Reagan was wrong to inact the tarriff. I don't feel that way. It's a fact that the Japanese manufacturers were dumping on the U.S. market.
To me my post leans strongly in the direction of waving the flag. Too bad you can't see that.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #1978
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Harley was producing junk and asking a mint for it ,thats the reason they were dying a slow death.The bikes the Japanese were suposedly dumping were mostly smaller models that were not competition to HD. The tariff was bogus just like the recent HD bailout in PA. Funny how once they built better quality bikes and invested in their lineup how they couldn't build them fast enough. Then they flooded the market with them,just like the Japanese, started offering 7yr payment plans and got themselves into a financial pinch and cried to the government again for help. This was after 20 yrs of record sales and profits . Greed at its finest,capitalism at its best.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #1979
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Harley was producing junk and asking a mint for it ,thats the reason they were dying a slow death.The bikes the Japanese were suposedly dumping were mostly smaller models that were not competition to HD. The tariff was bogus just like the recent HD bailout in PA
The tariff only impacted bikes over 700cc for 5 years. Honda, in bikes like the Magna, took sizes from 750 down to 699 to get under the tariff. HD asked the tariff be lifted a year early in '87.

Bogus? maybe. It helped save HD during some dark years. It wasn't the only thing, but it helped.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #1980
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
I wish the Japanese dumped(sold?) more bikes in the us market in the 80's, then I'd be able to find a V65 or CB1100F or CBX dirt cheap.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote