Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #2086
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I saw a Hesketh at Barber. Cool looking bike.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #2087
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,616
"The Open Day is going ahead, however, and Mick hopes to display the full range of Hesketh V-Twin motorcycles, from the original V1000 to the latest Vulcan 1200. Staff will be available for demonstrations and to answer questions; other British manufactures will be in attendance with trade stands, and some notable bikes of interest have been invited. The day coincides with the airfield's vintage aircraft fly in, with a classic vehicle family day, and hog roast to add to the attractions.

Vulcan?? Now you're talking. And with a v-twin engine too.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #2088
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

Vulcan?? Now you're talking. And with a v-twin engine too.

... they weren't referring to that piece of shit vulcan and besides , haven't you got a stranded , in dire straits , about to die motorcycle rider to save somewhere because they are too fucking stupid to fix a flat tire without a center stand.

p.s ... dire straits wasn't in reference to an 80's band and being a member there of.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #2089
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
In the US registered motorcycles don't even make up 3% of vehicles on the road. Yes car's cost much more money to build, but your selling on a market that's almost 100% larger therefore increasing your chance of success by that much.
If I am to assume you mean that the size of the market for a vehicle type is represented by it's percentage of total vehicles on the road, then what the numbers you've given are saying is;

A) The US bike market is roughly half the size of the US car market (bike companies that sell in the US can only dream of such a world)
B) Cars and bikes together only make up about 9% of the vehicles on the road (Granted there are a lot of SUVS and trucks out there, but 9 out of every 10 vehicles?)
C) I'd be about twice as likely to succeed starting a new car company than I would be starting a new bike company, simply because of market size. (Oh if only it were that simple)

I don't know if Motus will make it or not. I hope they do. I'm not arguing either way. I just have a thing about arguments that don't pass a basic math reality check.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #2090
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,100
Every company starts somewhere.

I've been following the Motus story over the years. I'm anxious to see how these bikes do. I'm hoping to see Erik Buell put out his affordable street bikes.

Motus is just down the road from me in Birmingham. I'd love to go down for a factory visit.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #2091
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Motus is just down the road from me in Birmingham. I'd love to go down for a factory visit.
Contact the principles... You would be surprised at how open they are.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #2092
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
haven't you got a stranded , in dire straits , about to die motorcycle rider to save somewhere because they are too fucking stupid to fix a flat tire without a center stand.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #2093
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I was in, up to $25k. Didn't care how far the dealer was away...
Same here. I got my deposit back for the same reason. And I'm competent enough with working on stuff that I'm not worried about something going awry and a dealer not being nearby (2 1/2 hours to Austin). Several brands and vintage of bike over the past 2 decades have made me a good wrencher out of necessity.

But just because I can not justify more than $25k for a bike (or afford it) doesn't mean someone else can't. Look at all those custom fat tire chopper pieces of fancy rolling ill handling crap. Every weekend, I see at least 10 choppers that cost someone $40k on the Texas rural roads. Sure, Texas is a cruiser state. HDs make up 90% of the bikes out on the road each weekend. But I'm just saying there isn't a shortage of people with $40k of disposable income to be put towards a bike.

I think the Carter guy either doesn't like the price because he can't afford it, so he bashes them, or he really just doesn't understand the market, or get far enough away from home regularly to see that market. Maybe both. It isn't for him or Jerry. They should just tuen their heads the other way.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2094
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
But I'm just saying there isn't a shortage of people with $40k of disposable income to be put towards a bike.

When those people fork over 40K, there are doing so in large part to buy the image and status that the Motus won't give them.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #2095
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
When those people fork over 40K, there are doing so in large part to buy the image and status that the Motus won't give them.
+1,000,000
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2096
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,100
Depends on the person. I, for one, would much rather have a motorcycle that makes people say, "What kind of motorcycle is that?" rather than "Nice Harley".
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #2097
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Exactly. Those $40K choppers make them look like badass bikers, which is what they want. The Motus seems to be aimed mostly at the BMW crowd, and you are not likely to get them off their BMWs with anything else. BMW has amazing brand loyalty, probably as good as HD. Motus has, well, nothing. Most people, riders and non riders alike, have never heard of them.

BTW, the bottom fell out of the $40K chopper business. You can now find these bikes on Craigslist for $10K or less. Most of them were bought with home equity loans, and since most people no longer have any home equity, there are no more loans.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #2098
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Same here. I got my deposit back for the same reason. And I'm competent enough with working on stuff that I'm not worried about something going awry and a dealer not being nearby (2 1/2 hours to Austin). Several brands and vintage of bike over the past 2 decades have made me a good wrencher out of necessity.

But just because I can not justify more than $25k for a bike (or afford it) doesn't mean someone else can't. Look at all those custom fat tire chopper pieces of fancy rolling ill handling crap. Every weekend, I see at least 10 choppers that cost someone $40k on the Texas rural roads. Sure, Texas is a cruiser state. HDs make up 90% of the bikes out on the road each weekend. But I'm just saying there isn't a shortage of people with $40k of disposable income to be put towards a bike.

I think the Carter guy either doesn't like the price because he can't afford it, so he bashes them, or he really just doesn't understand the market, or get far enough away from home regularly to see that market. Maybe both. It isn't for him or Jerry. They should just tuen their heads the other way.
You just proved my point. Then not only did you decide not to buy one but you then go ahead and make a comment that other people probably will. Seriously...

And you're comparing apples to oranges talking about choppers. As it's been said $40k choppers are an image thing. It's all about looking cool. The Motus may look cool to us nerdy bike guys cause it's got a V4 and Ohlins suspension, but the guys with the disposable income that are riding choppers wouldn't even give that bike a second glance.

If they were building an adventure bike I might change my tune because that's a hot market right now. It's the market that's stealing customers away from sport touring bikes. BMW hands down outsells every other bike they make with their GS line. They sell almost 4 times as much of them as they do the K16. Ducati stopped making the ST, replaced with an adv type bike, Triumph is dropping the Sprint soon but only after they made that Explorer and the Tiger 800, Suzuki will keep the bandit because it's cheap, and Honda came out with the VFR but only so they could share the motor with what? An Adventure bike. Just look at this forum. This is one of the biggest bike forums out there and it's not called Sport Touring Rider.

Again, I'm not bashing the bike, I just have very little hope on this companies success purely from a business investors standpoint. It's a tough formula to make work and they're going after a dying market. They're are smarter and safer ways of going about this type of venture that would better ensure success. But best of luck to Motus either way.

These comments come from personal knowledge and experience and are purely opinions. I say these things not of jealousy from a lack of income. I have worked in the bike industry, I currently make my living off of understanding markets, and I just got back from a 4200 mile road trip. I've seen some things...

So in an effort to make you sound less foolish may I ask you to please refrain from making comments as if you know anything about me.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #2099
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
You guys just can't see far enough past your own neighborhood.
There's a group of people out there that live in a land of $2000 pens, and $20,000 watches. They own quantities of them.
Go and buy a copy of the Robb Report, and then ask yourself if there 200 people per year for this bike. Now add in the other rich people who love motorcycles around the rest of the world.

They must have at least one sold already to the Barber Museum.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #2100
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
You guys just can't see far enough past your own neighborhood.
There's a group of people out there that live in a land of $2000 pens, and $20,000 watches. They own quantities of them.
Go and buy a copy of the Robb Report, and then ask yourself if there 200 people per year for this bike. Now add in the other rich people who love motorcycles around the rest of the world.

They must have at least one sold already to the Barber Museum.
And another one to Jay Leno
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote