User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #2146
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,795
"I'd rather die than own anything like a Boss Hoss."

That statement takes the cake as the dumbest post in this thread. Pretty hard to do but he did it.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #2147
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
After reading the various comments on this thread I think back to this quote I read years ago.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Considering you know fuck nothing about the people that wrote those "various comments" that is a pretty stupid quote.

In any case, and for the umpth time, no one is wishing ill on the company or disrespecting their work. I hope they do great and sell a buttload, I hope there is a great market for them and I love all bikes - the more the merrier.

I don't dislike the bike, but I am not quite as impressed as some of the people here, that's all, not with the tech and definitely not with the looks. It is conceivable my opinion will change if I get to ride one, until that becomes a possibility all we can do is speculate based on the data given. It is just ONE opinion on a product from a potential customer, one that buys a lot of bikes... I would have liked a more radical direction or a more level price point for their current offering - one or the other. Their chosen direction does not tickle my fancy as much as it could have - it does not mean they are worthless or even wrong, just one single data point in an ocean of noise,

It's not a judgement call on the character of the company's founders, the talent of their engineers, not an analysis of their business savvy or a reflection of my patriotic feelings or the American dream - just commenting on the product that is offered for sale, respectfully. So why don't you all unclench a bit, will ya?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #2148
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Almost ..type type type type type... now.
You sure can type.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #2149
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:

If you really want to impress someone, get a big block Boss Hoss. They cost about the same as a Motus, are proven reliable, support is available, and the WOWWWW!! factor is definitely there. You can still get one for the same price as a new Indian, and they are not a copy of something.
WTF! Is this not a forum of riders? How the fuck can a ~550lb, 58" wheelbase, sport-touring bike be even remotely compared to a big-block powered, psuedo motorcycle like a 'Boss Hoss'

Any mention of the Boss Hoss two wheeled abortion should garner a lifetime ban.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2150
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Almost everybody has been saying something to that effect, without even having ridden it. I never said I have anything against the bike itself, but I would not say how great it is until after I had ridden it. And I don't really care anything about marketing. The big problem I have is the price, which is absolutely absurd. It's like buying a Rolex when a Timex will work just fine. Except that it does not have the wow factor of a Rolex. Judged purely on it's functionality as a motorcycle, there is no way it can be worth that much. Bikes like the ST1300, C1400, and FJR1300 will do at least as well, probably better. and at less than 2/3 the cost, maybe a lot less. And they are proven, have guaranteed support, especially parts availability. Theirs nothing exclusive about them, but I don't see that as a bad thing for that type of motorcycle. So what makes the Motus worth so much more? Would you take that thing out and ride it in the rain, which means mud, even on pavement? But the biggest problem is when they sell a couple thousand bikes, then go belly up. My local powersports dealer, the biggest in my area, lost a fortune when they decided to become an EH dealer. They had a HUGE EH electric sign put up, added on an addition to the showroom, and ordered about 20 bikes. The last few set there for years after the company went kaboom, they finally sold them at about half price to collectors. I don't know why a collector would want a symbol of a failed company but some people will collect anything. The people who bought them to ride found themselves with one off bikes with no support. The big sign came down, and that dealer no longer worked on them or sold parts for them. They became the Yugo of motorcycles, just a lot more expensive. Hopefully if this happens to Motus, most of the buyers will be wealthy enough to absorb the loss.

If they make it, great. Not that I can afford one, but then I can't afford a 1200GS either. I can barely afford a KLR. But if I were going to buy such a bike, it would probably be a KLR. It's cheap, can do almost everything a GS can, and a few things a GS can't. If you crash it, it will do a lot less damage than crashing a GS will.

If you really want to impress someone, get a big block Boss Hoss. They cost about the same as a Motus, are proven reliable, support is available, and the WOWWWW!! factor is definitely there. You can still get one for the same price as a new Indian, and they are not a copy of something.

Whatever Motus is going to do, or not do, I wish they would get on with it. If they ever do make it to market, it will have taken so long that most people will have forgotten about them, or just plain no longer care. When most people want something they want it now, and there are plenty of great bikes out there that you can actually buy now.
Jesus. From Vulcan 750's to recommending Boss Hoss motorcycles as an alternative to a high end, low production sport tourer. What's your next recommendation - a Royal Enfield? You really just don't get it, that much is painfully clear. Also painfully clear to every last member of Advrider is the fact that you aren't MOTUS's target customer. So PLEASE, just shut up already, or at the very least go to another thread if you can't control your motorcycling tourette's.

And people around here say the rugged dentist Harley riders are ignorant fucks who ruin motorcycling. They're no comparison to Jerry.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #2151
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"I'd rather die than own anything like a Boss Hoss."

That statement takes the cake as the dumbest post in this thread. Pretty hard to do but he did it.
i dont know, i googled boss hoss and it is pretty nasty
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #2152
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i dont know, i googled boss hoss and it is pretty nasty
If your idea ofd a motorcycle is an 1100 Lb curb weight, automatic transmission, terrible handling, and a near complete inability to put the power to the ground, then yea, it's pretty nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_Gv...layer_embedded

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #2153
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
If your idea ofd a motorcycle is an 1100 Lb curb weight, automatic transmission, terrible handling, and a near complete inability to put the power to the ground, then yea, it's pretty nasty.
Sounds like an Amazonas :

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #2154
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,171
I "test" rode a Boss Hoss at Bike week one time. the course was maybe 200 ft. then turn left 200 ft. and turn left. You were allowed 2 laps. They took the shifter off so you were in low gear only. I watched a few guys take their turn and about half would put a foot down in the turns.
Why ? Why would you put your foot under a cast iron small block ?
My only goal then was to ride without putting a foot down in the turns. No problem . It 's a huge heavy motorcycle, but you don't have to ride like a knob. Just do what you know and don't be slow.
After the ride ,the sales guy gets in my face and says "Let's see what do you ride? Oh,a Monster. We'll take a Monster in on trade. What do you think ?"
Uh,Uh, no thanks man . Where I live we have real roads with curves , hills and bumps. I can ride as fast as i like on the Monster and keep it on the road. I just don't think I'd live long on this piece. Thanks for the ride . Bye.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #2155
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Preach it. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the road.

Cakeater
Me too! TM builds bikes in Europe,they hand build much of the bike, even the shock is built in house,they are a small factory that loves what they do and they turn out some fast beautiful MX/Dirt bikes.
No machine welds,handbuilt as much as possible.
They only sell 1000 bikes a year but they do make a statement, and their bikes are fast and run well,somehow they keep the doors open.

Maybe Motus can pull it off,they have to fight the feds here all the way to do so,cant be any sharp edges dumb asses will hurt themselves with,layers of legalese crap to deal with besides building an all new bike.
They seem like smart guys,they just might do it.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #2156
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
1> I have anything against the bike itself, but....
2> lost a fortune when they decided to become an EH dealer. The people who bought them to ride found themselves with one off bikes with no support.
3> if I were going to buy such a bike, it would probably be a KLR.
1> This is the montra of the nay-sayers. I want them to succeed, but....

2> You cannot compare Motus to EH as stated before. There are some people who are not afraid of low volume bikes...like Bimota, like EH, like Norton. I bought an EH new in crate, 10 years after they closed (no trouble getting support, btw). You ~don't get it, never will~ just accept that and ignore the world around you.

3> That statement alone says whey you should just pass over this thread.

Jerry, ADV really doesn't need troll wannabees. Either man up and go full troll or just lay back and admire your Vulcan.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #2157
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 211
The thread needs to be put back on track...

A naked Motus is even cooler than the faired one!
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #2158
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
The thread needs to be put back on track...

A naked Motus is even cooler than the faired one!
That's one weird-ass video. The bike jumps from faired to naked during the ride.

The only thing I got out of that is shift from neutral to first is pretty clunk-free.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #2159
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
That's one weird-ass video. The bike jumps from faired to naked during the ride.

The only thing I got out of that is shift from neutral to first is pretty clunk-free.

Cakeeater
Pretty sure it was two bikes. The faired bike is being used as the camera bike to film the naked one. I recall Motus experimenting with a naked spec R version, don't know if it will be build or remain a prototype though. Anyone else know anything about it?
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #2160
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
Waaaaaaaa!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote