Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #2221
Strap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Yes! I want to see his birth certificate too! It's the least he can do, you asked so nicely, after all...

There are blown and boosted bikes all over the place that get to those numbers and MUCH more - especially 14s and Busas - what the hell are you so suspicious of? Never seen one at one of your IronButt rallies?

You Wanna meet in Denver?? Closer to you then us???
Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #2222
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Haven't been here for a while. Is there an actual bike yet?
Yep...there are bikes. They are pre-production at this point, but they do exist.

I've been in touch with the factory regarding doing some test riding for them. I hope I'm fortunate enough to throw a leg over one.

My Ninja 1000 has enough power to scare me if I get over zealous with the happy handle, so I'm sure the Motus will put the fear of God in me.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #2223
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strap View Post
You Wanna meet in Denver?? Closer to you then us???
What?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #2224
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I can see making that kind of HP, but I can't see that kind of HP and "brick reliability" going hand in hand.
Why not?

Those big CC I-4 are actually pretty understressed for insurance purposes. These aren't SV650s that were originally 400cc and stroked to hell and then build on top of it.

Most of the Japanese 600s have about 30hp left in them when you really build them up. And the building generally revolves around the heads, they use the stock bottom ends (usually by rule) in racing.

The superbikes can all run 200-230 reliably with the stock reciprocating assemblies.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #2225
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post

My point is we're back at apples and oranges. If you want to rig up a SuperSport to go touring that's fine. If you find it comfortable, that's great. Will your passenger be riding in just as much comfort? Sure you can get bikes with more hp than the Motus for less. But they won't be in the same category. It's not comparable to the Motus. And in the end we're talking about a hand built, fully farkled, light (for a touring bike), comfortable, long distance bike that is also very fun on more challenging roads.

If you start from a Busa or ZX-14 you are getting significantly more power (and possibly better handling) That is stock. Starting from a used bike you are talking an 8 grand buy in. If you can manage to spend 19,000 in farkels, that is relatively impressive.

A local shop near me has a left over 2012 Busa 0 miles for a little over 10.

.....and while the busa may be a little more sporty than a concourse, you could build some of these http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_busa0810.htm for the balance of the price of a Motus.....and a metric assload of farkles. Trust me both are far from supersports. They are both couches next to my 675.

I'm in the camp that the Motus is simply to much money for what it is, I don't care whom, or where its is produced.

If you must have one, you go with your bad self, I look forward to a detailed review.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #2226
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
I didn't see it on their website, can someone post the Motus dyno sheet? I'd like to scale/overlay it to a stock ZX14 and compare the low end power along with the peak number.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #2227
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I didn't see it on their website, can someone post the Motus dyno sheet? I'd like to scale/overlay it to a stock ZX14 and compare the low end power along with the peak number.

Not sure there are any released dyno sheets for the MST or MST-R I certainly haven't seen anything beyond a youtube video of crap quality so you can't really see the numbers.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #2228
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

While we're at it, can someone please explain to me why ANYONE would by a Mont Blanc pen when my Bic writes just as well.

And instead of picking up that new BMW 3 series, I think I'm gonna spring for a Kia Optima turbo, it's just as fast but costs a lot less and I can strap a big fart can on it and annoy my neighbors.

And silly me, I bought my wife a diamond engagement ring when I could have gotten cubic zirconia, she'd have never known and I'd have saved a ton of money.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #2229
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
While we're at it, can someone please explain to me why ANYONE would by a Mont Blanc pen when my Bic writes just as well.

And instead of picking up that new BMW 3 series, I think I'm gonna spring for a Kia Optima turbo, it's just as fast but costs a lot less and I can strap a big fart can on it and annoy my neighbors.

And silly me, I bought my wife a diamond engagement ring when I could have gotten cubic zirconia, she'd have never known and I'd have saved a ton of money.

Diamonds are hardly a semi precious gem. Perhaps it is mostly perception. Let's make all the bikes cost $30k, then we'll see how many get made in the USA
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #2230
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:

There are those who will never grasp this. Lots of those, apparently. I hope there are at least 300 a year that do; that's all that MOTUS needs to get going.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #2231
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:

Perfectly ok with me.

If the company's investors are fine with sub-four digit sales annually, more power to them.

I'm not buying a bike from a manufacturer with a questionable future. If Ducati, or BMW, or even Harley was building it, I would at least take it seriously.

They aren't though, Motus is a start-up.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #2232
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

You keep making that point over and over... yet do you see how it is based on the HUGE assumption that the Motus fits with the "premium" products in your analogies - why exactly is that? Because they charge so much for it? I think the Motus looks much more like a Bic or a Kia than a Mont Blanc or a BMW, it's just not priced accordingly.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #2233
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
You keep making that point over and over... yet do you see how it is based on the HUGE assumption that the Motus fits with the "premium" products in your analogies - why exactly is that? Because they charge so much for it? I think the Motus looks much more like a Bic or a Kia than a Mont Blanc or a BMW, it's just not priced accordingly.
and that from a dude that has owned more dream bikes in the last three years then I can fathom.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2234
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

The Motus is a premium product.

Suspension by Ohlins
Seat by Sargent
Brembo monoblock brakes
Paniers by Givi
Exhaust by Akrapovic
The list goes on....

This isn't there cheap OEM brand crap. It's the good stuff. The premium products.

The engine alone is worth buying the bike. There is NOTHING in the world like it. Anytime you bring in a guy who has worked at Cosworth and built F1 engines to design your all new engine, that's pretty dang special.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-motu...s-half-an-ls7/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html
(yes, I know they scrapped GDI...this is an old article)

Yeah...it's expensive. The Motus demographic is not folks like me, who are work a day, paycheck to paycheck, tradin' your life for money types. It's people who drop $30,000 buying dinner for themselves and a few friends. It's for the people playing at the $10,000 table in Vegas. The guys who buy a 20,000 sq/ft mansion for them and their wife (no kids). The folks who fly first class when coach seats get you to the same place.

It's not about horsepower or "bang for the buck" value. It's about having something only an exclusive number of people have.

I really hope I get the chance to ride one in April. I have a feeling this is a special motorcycle. The likes of which the world has never seen.

Now, if it's a turd, I'll call it a turd, but I don't believe that will be the case.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #2235
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
It isn't an assumption; the MOTUS is a premium product. It certainly is made of premium components, so claiming it "looks much more like a Bic or a Kia than a Mont Blanc or a BMW" is just plain irrationally unintelligent. What remains to be seen is how it feels to ride, but if it rides like it is specified and designed, then it will be able to justify its price.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote