Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
The Motus is a premium product.

Suspension by Ohlins
Seat by Sargent
Brembo monoblock brakes
Paniers by Givi
Exhaust by Akrapovic
The list goes on....

This isn't there cheap OEM brand crap. It's the good stuff. The premium products.
None of that makes the bike "premium," at least not to the extent of mid-$30K. Lots of other bikes use the same components for half the price - and they add heritage and support for good measure.

Quote:
The engine alone is worth buying the bike. There is NOTHING in the world like it. Anytime you bring in a guy who has worked at Cosworth and built F1 engines to design your all new engine, that's pretty dang special.
Fair enough... If you feel that way then great, I don't see anything all THAT special about that engine. If to you it alone justifies the cost of the bike and makes it appealing then good for them.

Quote:
Now, if it's a turd, I'll call it a turd, but I don't believe that will be the case.
I doubt it'll be a turd - they seem like really nice bikes.

At the end my problem with it is that I still can't get over how much of a missed opportunity they are. Priced at around $20K for the base, $25K for the R they could have been a real contender - still "premium," but meaningfully placed against its competitors in what is already an uphill race to even get noticed.

If it were my business I would have structured it to do whatever it took to reach that competitive price point. Make the initial investment realistic, take the losses over the first few years but make a product that has a chance to find its market.

Oh well... at the end WTF do I know, I make video games...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #2237
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
P.T. Barnum was right
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #2238
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
... At the end my problem with it is that I still can't get over how much of a missed opportunity they are. Priced at around $20K for the base, $25K for the R they could have been a real contender - still "premium," but meaningfully placed against its competitors in what is already an uphill race to even get noticed.

If it were my business I would have structured it to do whatever it took to reach that competitive price point. Make the initial investment realistic, take the losses over the first few years but make a product that has a chance to find its market.

Oh well... at the end WTF do I know, I make video games...
I think the opposite. They already did that, dropping the direct injection and skipping shaft drive, to keep the price down. I think I'd have been *more* likely to buy one at $46K with those things, than at $36K without, and quite possibly many of the others who might be in the market for such a bike would feel the same.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #2239
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
At the end my problem with it is that I still can't get over how much of a missed opportunity they are. Priced at around $20K for the base, $25K for the R they could have been a real contender - still "premium," but meaningfully placed against its competitors in what is already an uphill race to even get noticed.

You're starting with an assumption that Motus wants to sell a lot of bikes. Or become a big player in the mass market.

You've missed the mark by a mile!

It has never been the intention of Motus to be a mass market bike. Their top maximum they ever want to produce per year is about 500 bikes. PERIOD. They don't intend to compete with anyone.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #2240
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
It has never been the intention of Motus to be a mass market bike. Their top maximum they ever want to produce per year is about 500 bikes. PERIOD. They don't intend to compete with anyone.
And they are doing a damn fine job of it.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #2241
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
You're starting with an assumption that Motus wants to sell a lot of bikes. Or become a big player in the mass market.

You've missed the mark by a mile!

Just curious - what do you base that on? Do you have inside knowledge? I doubt that they are telling Ohlins, Akro, etc, "we never want to sell more than 500 bikes a year".

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #2242
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I've been reading a bit on some other sites about Motus. My important opinion is the bike won't do anything that a lot of other bikes will do just as well and at a lower cost.
They are good looking bikes, but I just can't see the price differential with other bikes.
I don't care if they succeed or not.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #2243
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Just curious - what do you base that on? Do you have inside knowledge? I doubt that they are telling Ohlins, Akro, etc, "we never want to sell more than 500 bikes a year".

This is a hand built bike. No robots. This is intended to be a finely crafted machine, not a mass produced functional tool.

I'm sure the guys would be more than happy to give you a tour of the facility in Birmingham any time. You could sit on the bike and chat with them yourself. They're really nice folks.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #2244
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,107
From the emails I've exchanged with them they seem like very nice folks with a solid business plan.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #2245
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
This is a hand built bike. No robots. This is intended to be a finely crafted machine, not a mass produced functional tool.

I'm sure the guys would be more than happy to give you a tour of the facility in Birmingham any time. You could sit on the bike and chat with them yourself. They're really nice folks.
If my work ever takes me to AL, I'll do that.

I'd love to ask them if they intend to sell in Canada.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #2246
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 926
I don't understand all the venom....

....Motus is offering another fine choice in the market for enthusiasts.

It's not for everyone, obviously.

Why hate on it?

As far as the hard parts go, they chose chain drive on purpose. It's in their mission statement. Chain drive for less weight, better handling, no shaft jacking, and ability to change gearing.

The seating position is PERFECT.

The engine is exotic, yet parts can be found at any NAPA store or Chevy dealer. No valve adjustments. Sounds bad-ass. Huge power and torque.

So it's expensive, so what? Don't buy the darn thing, but don't crack on it because it doesn't work for you.

I probably can't afford one, but I sure am interested and might be pushed into actually buying one once I've seen a production bike go through some testing by the mags.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #2247
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

The mags will pretty much wet their pants over it. They usually do especially if there is potential for advertising dollars.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #2248
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 926
Well...

..Hell for Leather?

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2249
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post

I've read that their aim is 200 to 300 per year. I don't think they were lying.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #2250
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....Motus is offering another fine choice in the market for enthusiasts.

Not yet, they're not.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote