Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,050
This bike looks like a lot of damn fun

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #2282
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 750
I didn't read the whole thread.

I've spoken to the guys at Motus a couple of times. It's an interesting bike, but I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be interested in proving it out in a real world environment. I suggested, (along with a bunch of others, apparently), that it might be a feather in their cap to have one of the Motus bikes compete in the IBR, and asked if they would be interested in some good riders that were already in for the '13 IBR. They laughed and said they got a lot of those IBA guys emailing, but didn't have any interest in doing that. Note that I was not suggesting to them that I would be a good candidate, But I do know some other guys that would be.

I'm a little disappointed that they have no apparent interest in stretching their market envelope either. Sport-Touring with a heavy emphasis on Sport. No plans for shaft drive, no plans for anything other than their two bike offering.

The price is comparable to a pimped out HD or Ducati, so while still stupidly expensive for the average rider, not outside the market's potential.

Yeah, it looks like a fun bike. Sadly, one that most of us will never see, never mind ride. Even the motor is pretty spendy.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #2283
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
In their defense I'm sure they are getting flooded with calls/emails about people 'volunteering' to be 'test riders'. I'm sure when they want it they'll have no trouble getting the top magazine test riders for the job.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #2284
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
In their defense I'm sure they are getting flooded with calls/emails about people 'volunteering' to be 'test riders'. I'm sure when they want it they'll have no trouble getting the top magazine test riders for the job.
I think you're right on both counts. But have you read bike magazines? I don't take too much from any of them. Seems like many of them have a very narrow perspective of riding.

When I spoke to them, I was mainly suggesting that it would demonstrate some durability of the machine, riding 10k+ in 11 days. I didn't so much get the impression they didn't think it would survive, just that it wasn't important to them to show that the bike could do it. Almost wonder if they are counting on the owners not really riding the bikes that much, like most motorcycle owners.

I suppose they are selling exclusivity as much as anything else, so may not get too many people that are buying the bike as their main ride and riding it often and far. Though they do seem to be hyping the SuperSport Touring aspect of the bike. It will be interesting if a mag ever does one of those multi-bike shoot outs where they take a Motus, FJR1300, C14 and a BMW and do a week long trip.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #2285
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
In their defense I'm sure they are getting flooded with calls/emails about people 'volunteering' to be 'test riders'.
The web site used to have a FAQ line item that said "are you looking for test riders?" with a firm "no, we're good".

Doing an IBA run isn't exactly a good PR move. Win it and you are good, don't win or or drop out could be much more harmful. Wait until you get product and let one of your customers live the dream. IBA is much more about the rider than what they ride anyway.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #2286
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
I think you're right on both counts. But have you read bike magazines? I don't take too much from any of them. Seems like many of them have a very narrow perspective of riding.

When I spoke to them, I was mainly suggesting that it would demonstrate some durability of the machine, riding 10k+ in 11 days. I didn't so much get the impression they didn't think it would survive, just that it wasn't important to them to show that the bike could do it. Almost wonder if they are counting on the owners not really riding the bikes that much, like most motorcycle owners.

I suppose they are selling exclusivity as much as anything else, so may not get too many people that are buying the bike as their main ride and riding it often and far. Though they do seem to be hyping the SuperSport Touring aspect of the bike. It will be interesting if a mag ever does one of those multi-bike shoot outs where they take a Motus, FJR1300, C14 and a BMW and do a week long trip.

Don't think it would survive ? What do you think they've been doing with those bikes for the last year+, they've been riding them. I'm sure they've done tens of thousands of miles on them.
I don't see any sense in putting one in the Ironbutt now.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #2287
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
This bike looks like a lot of damn fun
It sounds like a frickin stock car.....can't wait to check one out in person.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #2288
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Don't think it would survive ? What do you think they've been doing with those bikes for the last year+, they've been riding them. I'm sure they've done tens of thousands of miles on them.
I don't see any sense in putting one in the Ironbutt now.
Not what I said. I said my impression was that they were not worried about it surviving, just didn't feel the need to demonstrate it. The Iron Butt Rally is not publicized and it's not a race, so the rider is far more important than the bike in winning it. But it can be 20 hours a day on the bike, for 11 days. That is a pretty good test for a bike that's not in production yet.

As for them riding the bikes, sure they have. But they are never going to tell you about any problems they may have had either. Putting it even slightly into the public eye puts another dimension on it. Not to mention it gets more miles in a couple of weeks than they probably put on their test bikes in months.

And you're right, the potential for the bike to look bad if it didn't perform well is certainly there. Winning or not winning means nothing unless it was due to a bike failure. And the IBR rules do not allow factory support.

In '09 one of the Victory employees enter the IBR and was selected. Victory helped him a little on prepping the bike, but did not give him factory support during the rally. He did quite well on a new Victory Vision. It was a great demonstration of how well that bike could hold up to long days, day after day and opened some eyes on what the Vision was capable of.

I looked at it as an opportunity for Motus to show what the bike can do. The bikes are unobtainium right now and aside from a few articles, no one has seen them perform or heard outside opinions on them from people that have actually ridden them for a significant amount of miles. Having a few selected guys riding them on the track makes for a fun youtube vid, but it's not the same as crossing the country a couple of times and really getting to know the bike.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #2289
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Regarding the IBA run... the only reasons I can see them not wanting to do it would be that the only bikes they have are prototypes and can't risk accident damage, they're working out some problems so a failure may be imminent or they really do not believe people will ride them that hard and long. If they were worries about failures, shit, how many boxers get sidelined due to final drive and canbus issues? There are even GW and FJR failures at these events.

As for the IBA not allowing factory support... I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to enter based on the premise that they don't actually receive an official placement. Seems like even the IBA would be willing to allow them to enter as a way to test durability. Then, even though results are only posted on the IBA website, Motus could state on their own website "We unofficially placed 30th at 9,020 miles, so the test was a success." There's no shame in not winning this. Simply finishing is a feat.

As for them putting on 10s of thousands of miles on their own...doubtful. They trailered everywhere on their publicity tour. I don't envision them having done more than a long weekend trip a couple times a year and the rest of the time commuting locally and track days at Barber.

Lastly, I also have the impression that the 2 prototypes are thier personal vehicles. They designed and built the bikes that they wanted. So, no matter the outcome of their company, they want to keep their bikes and any spare parts they've produced for posterity. Hence, no outside test riders.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #2290
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I sure wish they'd send out some updates so the world will know what's going on with them.

Stay away too long and we'll all forget about you...just like we have with Fischer.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #2291
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
What I'd prefer over the IBA, is just them setting up a rally, with one production bike, going from NYC to L.A. straight through, stopping every 10 hours or so to change riders. Make a nice publicity event about it. Run it for 40 hours straight.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #2292
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
I would like them to hold a nationwide contest to give production bike #001 away to one lucky winner, along with a years supply of gas.

And I would like that winner to be me.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #2293
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post

As for the IBA not allowing factory support... I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to enter based on the premise that they don't actually receive an official placement. Seems like even the IBA would be willing to allow them to enter as a way to test durability. Then, even though results are only posted on the IBA website, Motus could state on their own website "We unofficially placed 30th at 9,020 miles, so the test was a success." There's no shame in not winning this. Simply finishing is a feat.
Any rider that got a draw for the IBR, (an event only held every other year), can ride nearly any bike they want to. There are some minimum power restrictions to make sure they are safe on the interstate, but nothing that would apply to the Motus. Well, there is a noise restriction too, but doubtful it would apply to a bike with EPA rated pipes.

My only point in mentioning the 'no factory support' rule is that once the riders leave the start line, it's an individual effort. Many years ago, a Ural was ridden with factory support, (allowed at that time), and there wasn't too many parts on the bike that hadn't been replaced during the rally, either at checkpoints or due to breakdowns on the road. Even the frame was replaced, IIRC.

Motus could do all the prep they wanted, and within the rules, likely even have someone there at checkpoints to check the bike and do any needed repairs, but the rider would have to be present at all times, not a hand off while the rider went and slept or did other things.

You may be right about the prototypes being their personal vehicles. Nice idea on the 'unofficial' entry. I'm sure the IBA would jump on that with the right spin.

@Worroll - Interesting idea too. Probably more appealing for them to do that on a track, w/o the worry about other road users and a better ability to keep an eye on things or deal with any unexpected issues. Still something to brag about if they pulled it off w/o incident.

Last time I checked, they had dealers listed and you could sign up for a test ride... when the bikes showed up. But I think they weren't expecting to see bikes until at least May. And the expanded dealer network was announced May of 2012. They were talking about 2012 production last year in March, but it never happened. Starting to look like the Nortons out of Portland, OR, lots of hype and plans, no bikes ever really released. Now you can supposedly get one of those 916s out of Britian, but I don't know anyone that's ever seen one on the road.

Just went and looked at the web site for the listed Motus dealer in Las Vegas. Last year they had Motus prominently on the web site. Now there is nothing at all about Motus.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #2294
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post

Doing an IBA run isn't exactly a good PR move. Win it and you are good, don't win or or drop out could be much more harmful. Wait until you get product and let one of your customers live the dream. IBA is much more about the rider than what they ride anyway.
Exactly.

It was a good move for Ducati, with Gary Eagan, because Ducs were so widely believed to be fragile.

But for Motus it would be so-what? Win it and it would be all about the rider. Finish it and people would say: "Any FJR or Concours could do that at half the price." Fail to finish for any reason and it would be a PR disaster.

Nor is there any obvious reason why anyone would win an IBA event on a Motus, with the stock bodywork.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #2295
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Exactly.

It was a good move for Ducati, with Gary Eagan, because Ducs were so widely believed to be fragile.

But for Motus it would be so-what? Win it and it would be all about the rider. Finish it and people would say: "Any FJR or Concours could do that at half the price." Fail to finish for any reason and it would be a PR disaster.

Nor is there any obvious reason why anyone would win an IBA event on a Motus, with the stock bodywork.
So don't try, because you might fail?

You make some valid points, but we are talking about a totally new bike that is completely unproven and on the seriously expensive end of the price scale. Fully pimped BMWs go for less money. Part of me says the people that will buy it won't care. Part of me says, you want my money, show me you have a product that's worth it.

From your perspective, the risks aren't worth the reward. It's not an ideal long distance bike, and like any, it would need to be modified to suit the purpose better. I wouldn't choose the Motus for a LD bike simply because of the chain. Just not worth bothering with. That doesn't mean it can't do the job though.

They hype the comfort and performance of the bike a lot. Sort of like most ads for Super Sport Touring bikes. At some point, they will either prove that out, or get a rep for otherwise. Maybe we should ask Jay Leno what he thinks of it in a few years.