Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #241
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
What will the market bear price wise for this bike, keeping in mind the ZX14 - a bike in the same ballpark weight and power -, which can be set up with heli bars for a more upright riding position..?
not only the ZX-14, but the Ninja 1000 - less power, but a similar package from a size and features perspective.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #242
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Zx14----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
"Pricing is yet to be determined, but as it’s a niche bike built in small volumes, expect a price tag that reflects that. Then again, volume will depend on the number of dealers interested, and that in turn could help lower costs. "

What will the market bear price wise for this bike, keeping in mind the ZX14 - a bike in the same ballpark weight and power -, which can be set up with heli bars for a more upright riding position..?

I wouldn't compare the ZX with the Motus as far as appeal. The Motus is much lighter and vastly easier to work on: Hyd Valves vs 10 hours to dress and undress the ZX for valve adjustments. Additionally, the Motus is going to appeal to owners that want to 'tweak' their engines for more horsepower. This little V4 will find itself in race cars immediately in 2 liter form, with turbos and superchargers, all of which will appeal to those wanting big horsepower (chain drive vs shaft another advantage to this crowd). In my view, the price of the Motus will be partially underwritten by the companies who have developed the engine and is not going to be 'jewelry' high. Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #243
bhkami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
I wouldn't compare the ZX with the Motus as far as appeal. The Motus is much lighter and vastly easier to work on: Hyd Valves vs 10 hours to dress and undress the ZX for valve adjustments. Additionally, the Motus is going to appeal to owners that want to 'tweak' their engines for more horsepower. This little V4 will find itself in race cars immediately in 2 liter form, with turbos and superchargers, all of which will appeal to those wanting big horsepower (chain drive vs shaft another advantage to this crowd). In my view, the price of the Motus will be partially underwritten by the companies who have developed the engine and is not going to be 'jewelry' high. Bruce
FWIW the ZX14 had a dry weight of 485 lbs a few years ago. Plenty of people mod them. Other than that they have very close chassis specifications.
bhkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #244
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Yeah

A turbo on on that bike with all that plastic removed could be one HELL of a fun machine....I beat there is room to get a decent sized spool under the tank also.

200hp on a bit (ok a lot) of boost.

....and you KNOW there will be parts for it, because of the Vettes, low comp pistons, higher ratio rockers.....OH being able to buy parts for it at Autozone

A uncle dragging gear heads delight there.

So when its available and I hit the lottery I'll grab and R and go all boosted streetfighter all over it.

That'll show the guy with the Turbo 'Busa on my way to work something.....he's forever giving me shit about my slow bikes as his bike blows the wastegate of into the sunset...bastard
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #245
bhkami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Yeah

A turbo on on that bike with all that plastic removed could be one HELL of a fun machine....I beat there is room to get a decent sized spool under the tank also.

200hp on a bit (ok a lot) of boost.

....and you KNOW there will be parts for it, because of the Vettes, low comp pistons, higher ratio rockers.....OH being able to buy parts for it at Autozone

A uncle dragging gear heads delight there.

So when its available and I hit the lottery I'll grab and R and go all boosted streetfighter all over it.

That'll show the guy with the Turbo 'Busa on my way to work something.....he's forever giving me shit about my slow bikes as his bike blows the wastegate of into the sunset...bastard
Though based on the v8s, they are not literally half of one. They are proportionally smaller everywhere. Don't believe aftermarket parts will just sail in there
bhkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #246
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
485#?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkami View Post
FWIW the ZX14 had a dry weight of 485 lbs a few years ago. Plenty of people mod them. Other than that they have very close chassis specifications.
Kawasaki site shows 566# curb weight......every magazine still in print will do a compro when the Motus shows up......we'll see about 485# ZX14's : )

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #247
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkami View Post
Though based on the v8s, they are not literally half of one. They are proportionally smaller everywhere. Don't believe aftermarket parts will just sail in there
oh boo.

I guess that makes sense......show me to post with the GF bitching.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #248
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003

Naked enough?
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #249
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Not to disparage ZX14s, they're fine bikes, but the customers that buy this bike aren't going to be comparing the two. You don't consider a bike like this because it's a good bang for the buck.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #250
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
Not to disparage ZX14s, they're fine bikes, but the customers that buy this bike aren't going to be comparing the two. You don't consider a bike like this because it's a good bang for the buck.
+1

The ZX is not even on my radar, but this Motus I like!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #251
hotcad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
MOTUS sport touring bike

Awsome! I can't wait until they are available.
The perfect stable:
Buell
Victory
MOTUS
hotcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #252
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I got back from Daytona last night. I was at the unveiling at the IMS. I was 10 or 15 minutes late getting there so I missed most of the speech, but I did get a good look at the bike and even got to sit on it. I didn't get to talk to the Motus guys, but I had a nice conversation with a Pratt an Miller guy.
I took a bunch of photos, but I haven't had a chance to download them yet. I'll try to get them up later today.

I will say this, it sounded great. It had a Two Brothers exhaust on it and I commented that I bet the production model wouldn't have that exhaust. The Pratt and Miller guy said he wasn't sure because Two Brothers had participated a lot in the development of the bike. I also said the production model would have adjustable handlebars and seat. The prototype I sat on had neither.

It sat very nice. Sportier than what I am used to. Depending on how adjustable the handlebars are, I might want risers on it.

The seat height seemed very low. A lady who was not very tall sat on it and was able to flat foot it. It felt very light. Sorry I don't have hard numbers for you, but those are my impressions and observations.

Oh, and one more thing. The guy would not give me a price, but I mentioned I supposed the bike would be very expensive. He told me it would be competitive with BMW and Ducati prices. I don't know which BMWs and Ducatis though.

Bottom line, I liked it as much as I can like a bike just sitting on it and listening to it run.

DynaSport screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 04:38 AM
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #253
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Here are some photos I took.

This one shows a young woman flat footing the bike.

And here is one of some fat ugly guy sitting on it. I think he really liked it.

Here's a shot of the dash. It looked nice turned on, but I didn't get a shot of that.

One of the Motus guys sitting on the bike.

The Motus motor
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #254
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Great photos! It does look like the ideal ST platform. Those Michelins look groovy (pardon the pun!).

Paulvt1 screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 05:24 AM
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #255
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,357
One of the Motus guys sitting on the bike.

That's a great looking motorcycle.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote