Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #2627
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Thanks for the link.

On the sound... Meh...

Not that it's bad, but it doesn't really stir me either. Guess I'm more of a twin guy at heart. Love me some Guzzi and/or Duc music...

Maybe with the baffles OUT...

That thing sounds like a muscle car.....I like the sound of a desmo at full tilt as much as the next guy, but the Motus sounds like a built small block chevy, a sound very near and dear to my heart.

.....just so much money for a bike.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #2628
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I'll spend the money, IF everything turns out as it should. According to me, of course. I suspect weight will be too high and economy will be too low, however. And the reliability/ease of ownership is a big question. Ah, new stuff.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #2629
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Umm read the second part of my post ?
Umm...what Desmodog said:

Actually I don't think they could have done that. It's been too long since I've read the regs but I'm pretty sure there are rules against the mufflers being easy to modify/defeat. I know I've read that but don't remember if it was current reg or a proposal. Besides, you could only do that if the quiet version is more restrictive than it needs to be. I'd rather they spend the time/money to do it right in the first place so those of us who don't like loud bikes could still have something that sounded decent.

Someone mentioned they test at 4000 rpm. Stationary tests are used by local agencies and post-sale testing, not for federal certification. At least not when I was doing the testing (10 years ago?). For OEMs the federal test is/was a passby test, accelerating past a set of mics. To oversimplify it, you'd enter the trap at a certain speed, go to wide open throttle for a certain distance, and then either shut it off or maybe the test was just over. I did literally thousands of passby runs back in the day, various vehicles for various markets, procedures varied and I don't remember all the specifics on the USA bike test.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

So basically, the DOT are suckers for hookers. Nice job Motus! Actually, like BMW and triumph, there may be an aftermaket option for the pipe from the dealer that uses those Akro's and Motus just hasn't yet shown us the quiet stock DOT approved pipes that will be ont he production bikes.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #2630
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
That thing sounds like a muscle car.....I like the sound of a desmo at full tilt as much as the next guy, but the Motus sounds like a built small block chevy, a sound very near and dear to my heart.

.....just so much money for a bike.
Well, that's what I actually expected and had high hopes for. But, from the video I just don't hear that at all. To my ears it just sounds sorta blatty. Definitely don't hear a small block V8 there. Then again, I suppose I shouldn't expect a V4 to sound like a V8 regardless of the basic configuration. Maybe in person and with a slightly uncorked exhaust it would be better, but so far the sound doesn't excite me the way I thought it would.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 01:42 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #2631
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Well, that's what I actually expected and had high hopes for. But, from the video I just don't hear that at all. To my ears it just sounds sorta blatty. Definitely don't hear a small block V8 there. Then again, I suppose I shouldn't expect a V4 to sound like a V8 regardless of the basic configuration. Maybe in person and with a slightly uncorked exhaust it would be better, but so far the sound doesn't excite me the way I thought it would.
More vroom, vroom engine noises on some of their earlier videos.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2632
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Umm...what Desmodog said:

Actually I don't think they could have done that. It's been too long since I've read the regs but I'm pretty sure there are rules against the mufflers being easy to modify/defeat. I know I've read that but don't remember if it was current reg or a proposal. Besides, you could only do that if the quiet version is more restrictive than it needs to be. I'd rather they spend the time/money to do it right in the first place so those of us who don't like loud bikes could still have something that sounded decent.

Someone mentioned they test at 4000 rpm. Stationary tests are used by local agencies and post-sale testing, not for federal certification. At least not when I was doing the testing (10 years ago?). For OEMs the federal test is/was a passby test, accelerating past a set of mics. To oversimplify it, you'd enter the trap at a certain speed, go to wide open throttle for a certain distance, and then either shut it off or maybe the test was just over. I did literally thousands of passby runs back in the day, various vehicles for various markets, procedures varied and I don't remember all the specifics on the USA bike test.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

So basically, the DOT are suckers for hookers. Nice job Motus! Actually, like BMW and triumph, there may be an aftermaket option for the pipe from the dealer that uses those Akro's and Motus just hasn't yet shown us the quiet stock DOT approved pipes that will be ont he production bikes.
Yeah, great.

Anyway, good luck to Motus for trying to break the exhaust barrier by providing their customers with at least that something looks good while complying with DoT/EPA whatever.

Compared to this monstrosity of an exhaust, anything is better.

arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #2633
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Yeah, great.

Anyway, good luck to Motus for trying to break the exhaust barrier by providing their customers with at least that something looks good while complying with DoT/EPA whatever.

Compared to this monstrosity of an exhaust, anything is better.

Nothing to do with Motus, and maybe I'm just old school, but I'm really hating all the weird, swoopy, overly stylized exhausts come from Japan lately.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 07-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #2634
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Nothing to do with Motus, and maybe I'm just old school, but I'm really hating all the weird, swoopy, overly stylized exhausts come from Japan lately.
I agree.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #2635
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
I agree.
Me three! They look like whale dicks....

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #2636
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
There are a lot of ugly exhausts lately, but I don't think the above Gixxer exhaust is too offensive. The crazy huge triangular ones are much worse, IMO.

Motus's Akro pipes look really nice, and I fall into the "LOVE IT" category regarding the sound. Damn that's nice.

The Motus just keeps looking better and better. I love the new colors they are showing. The painted engines look great. I really hope they exceed and I'd love to own one someday.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #2637
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
They look like whale dicks....
You are not the first person I have heard that from.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #2638
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
My ears hear "Chevelle" but my eyes see motorcycle.....it's almost like being high.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #2639
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
My ears hear "Chevelle" but my eyes see motorcycle.....it's almost like being high.
Someone spiked the Kool-Aid!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #2640
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
The crazy huge triangular ones are much worse, IMO.
Also agree! Why triangles???

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote