Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #256
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
I love it, but I don't see it being in my Ducati price range, even when it is 11 years old, like my Monster. Hard to win the lottery without playing, either. My rich uncle gave all of his money to his wife when he died.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #257
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
That's a great looking motorcycle.
Can't be true. The styling sucks. Haven't you been reading ???
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #258
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
The Motus motor...
Someone put their greasy fingerprints on that engine already.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #259
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
Here are some photos I took.
Thanks for the pics! Did you happen to ask the Motus people when they are going to announce the price?

On their website, they say they're looking for dealers who are willing to sell their bikes around the end of 2011.. so it looks like they should have an idea of price since dealers will be asking.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #260
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
No, I didn't ask that specific question. I didn't actually talk to the Motus guys, I spoke to a Pratt and Miller guy who said his company had basically done all the engineering on the bike. I think I heard someone say they are planning to start production in April, but that seems ambitious to me. I did ask if they were planning to do a model with plastic skin instead of carbon fiber, so that it would be less expensive. The answer I got didn't sound too positive about that. He said that cf wasn't any more expensive for prototypes because you didn't have to pay for the tooling. So, I took that to mean that production would have to be in bigger numbers than they were anticipating before plastic would make sense from a tooling up standpoint.

One more detail that is not obvious in the photos is how narrow the bike is at the front of the seat. It is narrower than anything I have ever seen. I am curious as to how the seat will feel for longer rides.

To me, the bike is on the sport side of sport touring, but I think some simple things like handlebar risers and a plusher seat could probably take care of that if comfort was an issue. They said that are planning on many things being adjustable such as the windshield, the seat, the pegs, and the handlebars. I can't wait to see them for sale. I have no plans to be in the bike market any time soon, but I would love to have one of these. I need someone else to buy one, take good care of it, let it depreciate mercilessly, and sell it to me for a nice price.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #261
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasport View Post
i need someone else to buy one, take good care of it, let it depreciate mercilessly, and sell it to me for a nice price.

+1
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #262
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Thanks for the pics! Did you happen to ask the Motus people when they are going to announce the price?

On their website, they say they're looking for dealers who are willing to sell their bikes around the end of 2011.. so it looks like they should have an idea of price since dealers will be asking.
We can take a guess... standard Price Is Right rules - winner gets to be called "Your Excellency" by everyone else in this thread for one month.

I'll venture $20,999 MSRP for this first model.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #263
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
We can take a guess... standard Price Is Right rules - winner gets to be called "Your Excellency" by everyone else in this thread for one month.

I'll venture $20,999 MSRP for this first model.

My guess $ 18,995.00.
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #264
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
This is from their dealer link on their site:

"MOTUS is looking for high quality, enthusiast oriented dealerships to carry the MST series beginning in late 2011.

Although MOTUS will remain a low volume, high quality manufacturer, we have developed an attractive package for a multi-line dealership looking to distinguish itself as an outlet for our new line of comfortable American sportbikes as well as other products down the line."

I highlighted the words in bold. If HD can charge $25K for their touring bikes, it makes me think a "low volume, high quality" niche manufacturer may charge the same.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #265
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I would think 19,995 is a logical target price.

While the bike looks to have high quality components, it still isn't hugely complicated. How that affects the price will be seen I guess.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #266
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Is it just me that imagines the heat from the headers turning your legs into shish-kabobs?

Many people complain about getting heat stroked-out on conventional inline fours with their pipes as far away from the rider as possible, and nearly all encompassing plastic!

With no engine covering fairing panels, engine heat *and* exhaust headers mere inches away, I am left very curious as to how mosty toasty this thing will be..

Re: the mufflers.

Will this not have or be required to have catalytic converter/s?

I sure do love the reasonably sized, decent looking and not hideous VFR1200-esq abomination type mufflers, but are they really going to be that svelte and dainty in the finished .gov approved version?

I didn't think I would, but I kinda like this beast, all things considered.

I will be surprised if it carries a sticker price under $25,000.00 minimum, though...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #267
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 4,006
OK, I'll play I love the motor, like the lines, hate the fairing from the front. (For the record I thought the R1200ST was the ugliest fricking thing I'd ever seen and wouldn't own one on a bet.) Price - $22,995
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #268
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
High quality and low volume, also associated with Confererate Motorcycles. If it less the $40K I'll be surprised.

Regards, Paul
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #269
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
High quality and low volume, also associated with Confererate Motorcycles. If it less the $40K I'll be surprised.

Regards, Paul
I'm still getting the feeling that this bike isn't meant to be a business in and of itself. If it was, I would agree with you on the $40k price tag. Because of some statements I get the feeling Motus is using the bike as a showcase for the engine and it means they can sell the bike at a much lower cost because they're not trying to turn a true profit on each bike sold. Motus has much bigger plans for the engine.

We'll just have to wait a see of course. They've got my attention that's for sure.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #270
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
They brought it to the track on Saturday, and I got to sit on it, also. Felt good as it was, to me. Sounded great, too, but they wouldn't let me ride it around the infield, no matter how much I begged.

I got the "comparable pricing to Ducati" answer, no number.

Someone has to buy new, might be me.

Almost forgot, $23,495.00 MSRP.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote