Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #2716
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Possibly , but unfortunately , probably not. They'd rather sell you their sprockets.

Rear sprocket is lifetime warrantied
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #2717
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
Rear sprocket is lifetime warrantied
I wondered about that when I read it elsewhere. Sounds odd to me. Warrantied against what? Breakage? Sprockets are a normal wear item and warranties don't usually cover items that just need replacement due to wear. Maybe when you take it in needing a new sprocket they'll just say, "well, it's not broke, just worn out. See here, in the fine print... But we'll be happy to sell you a new one for $300. And it'll also be warrantied for life. Uh, no sir, these are specially designed just for this bike. They're not available anywhere else. Besides, ours carry a lifetime warranty. "

Then again, at $30K I suppose they can afford to throw a couple of spare sprockets your way since they'll probably last at least 20K+ miles each and the average buyer probably won't put enough miles on the bike to use more than two or three anyway. IDK though. Still seems like an odd thing to cover under a lifetime warranty. Maybe it's just their attempt at a clever marketing strategy aimed at the shaft drive folks.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #2718
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,000
I'm thinking the lifetime warranty is to appese the shaft drive people.

I would think it is for wear as well as breakage, but until the actual warranty is printed, we'll have to see.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #2719
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I wondered about that when I read it elsewhere. Sounds odd to me. Warrantied against what? Breakage? Sprockets are a normal wear item and warranties don't usually cover items that just need replacement due to wear. Maybe when you take it in needing a new sprocket they'll just say, "well, it's not broke, just worn out. See here, in the fine print... But we'll be happy to sell you a new one for $300. And it'll also be warrantied for life. Uh, no sir, these are specially designed just for this bike. They're not available anywhere else. Besides, ours carry a lifetime warranty. "

Then again, at $30K I suppose they can afford to throw a couple of spare sprockets your way since they'll probably last at least 20K+ miles each and the average buyer probably won't put enough miles on the bike to use more than two or three anyway. IDK though. Still seems like an odd thing to cover under a lifetime warranty. Maybe it's just their attempt at a clever marketing strategy aimed at the shaft drive folks.
Belts on Buells had a lifetime warranty, maybe Eric knew he'd only be selling bikes for a few years.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2720
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Belts on Buells had a lifetime warranty, maybe Eric knew he'd only be selling bikes for a few years.
Hmmm... I did not know that. I have to wonder then, why is it that the conventional wisdom with Buells is to replace the belts around 20,000 miles or so, just as preventative maintenance...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #2721
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Hmmm... I did not know that. I have to wonder then, why is it that the conventional wisdom with Buells is to replace the belts around 20,000 miles or so, just as preventative maintenance...
Cause they break.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #2722
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cause they break.
Well, I know that part. I have an S1. I just didn't know that they had a lifetime warranty. Not that it matters now that Buell is gone... Or, that I'd have let it go that far anyway...

Randy screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 02:35 PM
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #2723
TimberWolf
enslaved by employer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
The reason for that is that a new belt is tight as hell and hard to put on roadside, so change it at home and carry the pre-stretched belt as a spare. I didn't buy my Buell new, but my understanding was that the belt was not warrantied for life, but since it doesn't have a yr/miles service interval the marketing guys came up with the deceptive term "lifetime belt"

2007 XB12X
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #2724
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I know I spend more time maintaining my shaft drive than I would a chain drive.
You're doing it wrong.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #2725
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Lack of ABS is one of it's most attractive features, next to the engine. A Rochester Quadrajet would have been nice, but impossible, for the same reason it keeps losing power and gaining weight. Thank you EPA.

As for the chain, I don't see it being a problem with a centerstand. But a shaft would be nice too. A properly designed shaft drive that DID NOT have to be constantly taken apart for spline lubes. That kills the attractiveness of a shaft for me. It is completely possible to design a shaft that is lubricated by the gear oil at the rear, and engine oil at the front, just like a car. It would never have to be taken apart. But nobody does it. I know I spend more time maintaining my shaft drive than I would a chain drive. And you think a chain is expensive? Wait till the splines on the final drive get chewed up. About $2000.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is you are asking, but my Kawi C10 and Shadow 1100 both have separate gear oil.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #2726
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
you're doing it wrong.
+1
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #2727
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
IIRC the "lifetime belt" was introduced on the Ulyseses (how do you spell that anyway? Maybe that is why they did not sell as no one could spell it. LOL). That bike was to be off road capable and belts are usually not intended for off road use. They developed a Kevlar belt which was suppose to be able to handle occasional off road adventures. I don't believe they used that belt in other models, nor do I know if the belt lived up to its claim.

As always YMMV.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #2728
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is you are asking, but my Kawi C10 and Shadow 1100 both have separate gear oil.
My Vulcan 750 has separate gear oil, but you still have to pull the swing arm ever 10,000 miles to get the driveshaft out to lube the splines on both ends. They do not run in oil, they have to be lubed with moly paste. All it would take is an oil seal at both ends of the shaft (just like a car) so the front end of the shaft could run inside the transmission, and be lubricated with engine oil, and the rear end of the shaft could run inside the final drive gear housing, and be lubricated with gear oil. But Kawasaki chose not to do it that way. And many other bikes didn't either.

I just looked at the schematic, and the C10 has the exact same setup as my Vulcan. The driveshaft splines have to be lubricated with grease or moly paste. After you take everything apart. Look in the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It should say something like "propeller shaft joint-lubricate" The "propeller shaft" is the driveshaft.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 07:23 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #2729
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
A chain is the most efficient (from what I understand) way to transmit power to the rear wheel. the biggest point is the power delivery, and these guys are really goin' for performance here, iirc.
Chain is the most efficient IF you have a transverse crankshaft. Motus does not and the power has to be turned 90 degrees (and lose power therein) to get from the crank to the countershaft sprocket. They could have done a shaft like a beemer, wing, CX650, Ural, ... Either system makes a 90 between the crank and the wheel.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #2730
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
Shaft drives don't break any more than an engine does, IF they are maintained. But it probably takes longer to maintain a shaft than it does a chain when you add up all the time. A shaft can take several hours every 10,000 miles, while a chain takes a few minutes every few hundred miles. Chain drive components are definitely cheaper than shaft drive. You can replace a chain and both sprockets with top of the line parts for a couple hundred $$$. It will cost at least $2000 to replace all the shaft drive parts. The final drive gearcase alone is usually over $1000. I don't even think Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty anymore. They are not the same quality they used to be either.

Lifetime warranty usually means lifetime of the part. Remember back in the '70s when you could get a battery or a transmission rebuild guaranteed for the life of the vehicle? They don't do that anymore. Even the warranty on a new Japanese bike specifically excludes wear, and that is not just for tires, brakes, light bulbs, clutch plates, etc. either. The warranty on my Ninja 250 specifically excluded loss of compression from wear, nothing had to be broken.

And yes I am very serious about the Quadrajet. I have one on one of my cars and love it. I've been working on them since I was about 10, and can rebuild one blindfolded. Oh ,and it works great to. And no electronics to fail.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote