Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #2731
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Chain is the most efficient IF you have a transverse crankshaft. Motus does not and the power has to be turned 90 degrees (and lose power therein) to get from the crank to the countershaft sprocket. They could have done a shaft like a beemer, wing, CX650, Ural, ... Either system makes a 90 between the crank and the wheel.
I think it's just not worth it b/t the friction, overall weight, and spinning mass. Performance-wise, you're not going to beat a chain.

Not to mention - the bike is expensive enough.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #2732
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
IIRC the "lifetime belt" was introduced on the Ulyseses (how do you spell that anyway? Maybe that is why they did not sell as no one could spell it. LOL). That bike was to be off road capable and belts are usually not intended for off road use. They developed a Kevlar belt which was suppose to be able to handle occasional off road adventures. I don't believe they used that belt in other models, nor do I know if the belt lived up to its claim.

As always YMMV.

Rick G
The "lifetime" Ulysses belt is more like the 20,000 mile belt. I change my belt after every 2 rear tires at the cost of $190 per belt.
The belt was designed to take abuse of eating stones and debris, but with the torque of the engine, geometry of the drive and rear suspension they wear out fairly fast.
The plus side is that if one fails I can change one on the side of the road in 20 minutes or less with the spare belt and tools I carry on the bike.

The good news is that I have only practiced changing the belt during tire changes and have not had one fail on the road, But they are known for failing.

All the HD engined late model Buell's are belt driven, and the Ulysses has a unique belt that only fits that model, Hence why I carry a spare.

I like the fact the Motus has a chain drive and no ABS, That works just fine for me

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #2733
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
My Vulcan 750 has separate gear oil, but you still have to pull the swing arm ever 10,000 miles to get the driveshaft out to lube the splines on both ends. They do not run in oil, they have to be lubed with moly paste. All it would take is an oil seal at both ends of the shaft (just like a car) so the front end of the shaft could run inside the transmission, and be lubricated with engine oil, and the rear end of the shaft could run inside the final drive gear housing, and be lubricated with gear oil. But Kawasaki chose not to do it that way. And many other bikes didn't either.

I just looked at the schematic, and the C10 has the exact same setup as my Vulcan. The driveshaft splines have to be lubricated with grease or moly paste. After you take everything apart. Look in the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It should say something like "propeller shaft joint-lubricate" The "propeller shaft" is the driveshaft.
I'm underwhelmed with drive shaft reliability.

I had a C10. Rear wheel removal sucked thanks to the drive shaft and the bevel drive housing gasket starting leaking around 14K miles. It's a cheap fix if you can do the labor for free. Hard to call removing the entire rear of the motorcycle an easy repair though. It would be real $$ if you took it to a dealer.

After owning that bike and reading all the BMW horror stories I'll stick with chains.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2734
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
I'm stuck in Boise right now hoping to get the shaft drive on my GSA fixed so I can hopefully get back on the road. Bike has 15k on it and blew a seal on the rear drive, spewing gear oil all over the back of the bike. Not only is that something that did not give me any warning, I can't fix it on the side of the road. And there's no way to know how much oil is left which of course had me in the predicament of trying to decide whether to have the bike towed 200 miles or risk it and ride it in.

A chain is NOT a bad way to go.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2735
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,052
You know, there are some manufactures who are capable of building a reliable final drive. One simply needs to broaden their horizon beyond the usual suspects.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #2736
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You know, there are some manufactures who are capable of building a reliable final drive. One simply needs to broaden their horizon beyond the usual suspects.
I have to believe there are better designs being used on Yugos.....

The seal repair turns out to have not.....and now the back of my bike is covered in a very thick layer of gear oil and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to nicely explain to the dealer that I ain't happy.....

Yep....shaft has its own limitations....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #2737
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I have to believe there are better designs being used on Yugos.....

The seal repair turns out to have not.....and now the back of my bike is covered in a very thick layer of gear oil and I'm stuck trying to figure out how to nicely explain to the dealer that I ain't happy.....

Yep....shaft has its own limitations....
My c10 had 40,000 miles on it, zero problems.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #2738
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
The thing is, you never hear stories that some guys chain failed and left him stranded. Yeah, chains make a mess and you have to take 2 or 3 minutes every now and then to lube it. But I have never seen a bike in the back of a pickup truck because of an issue with a chain or sprocket. Cant say the same for a shaft drive.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #2739
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
The thing is, you never hear stories that some guys chain failed and left him stranded. Yeah, chains make a mess and you have to take 2 or 3 minutes every now and then to lube it. But I have never seen a bike in the back of a pickup truck because of an issue with a chain or sprocket. Cant say the same for a shaft drive.
Oh come on man! Really?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #2740
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
oh come on man! Really?
+1
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #2741
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Oh come on man! Really?

Sorry folks, I have seen one in Kansas, one in Canada, and my own here in Alabama. All Beemers I might add.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #2742
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
One left me stranded in St Ignace, MI. Blew apart and locked the rear wheel up. I managed to get it unstuck and installed the spare master link I carried. Unfortunately I lost a little ball bearing out of the shifter. Had to trailer it home. I was just glad it blew as I was making a left turn onto the highway from a parking lot and not at 60 mph. It was exciting enough as it was. 1975 Yamaha XS650 btw.

Everything can fail.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #2743
Egodriver71
Rider of something

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:

`96 Vulcan 500 I bought for my wife's 1st bike left me stranded when the master link came apart and the chain broke.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #2744
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Chain and sprockets all day long. It's the only way to go for anything sporty/performance related, IMO. Though, everyone has their 'druthers. They have the right to be wrong, if they so choose.
cls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #2745
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,320
Quote:
Sorry folks, I have seen one in Kansas, one in Canada, and my own here in Alabama. All Beemers I might add.

I think the issue with your statement was in regards to chains never failing not seeing a bike with a busted FD.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote