Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #2746
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You know, there are some manufactures who are capable of building a reliable final drive. One simply needs to broaden their horizon beyond the usual suspects.
Yup, I've never had a final drive issue over many tens of thousands of miles on GL1200s,1500s,1800,XS1100,FJR1300,Yamaha 3 wheeler, or even my Ural. OTOH,the previous owner of my dualsport had a chain go and put a big hole in the sidecase. Cheap bike for me, expensive hit for them.
No matter, I hope Motus begins selling them and builds a decent dealer network.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #2747
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Yup, I've never had a final drive issue over many tens of thousands of miles on GL1200s,1500s,1800,XS1100,FJR1300,Yamaha 3 wheeler, or even my Ural. OTOH,the previous owner of my dualsport had a chain go and put a big hole in the sidecase. Cheap bike for me, expensive hit for them.
No matter, I hope Motus begins selling them and builds a decent dealer network.
Had a chain go?

I've ridden a million miles if I've ridden one, I have never had a chain actually fail. I've had clip on master links go (at 15mph luckily) and the chain stretch to the point that it skipped over the front sprocket.

I've never had one snap, how long did he run that ONE chain to actually break it?
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #2748
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I'd say MOST chain failures are due to high mileage and/or neglect. Although in the late 80s I snapped a brand new Diamond chain. Went back to D.I.D.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #2749
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I have a friend that had a new chain break a side plate and go through the engine case on his new YZ450F!? After he told me about this, I went home and checked my CRF which had a similar brand new chain. I found 12 cracked side plates!?! I then went and bought my buddy some beers! Bad batch of chain, but it happens. I'll still take a chain, for lighter weight, ease of gearing, and lack of weight jacking over a shaft.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #2750
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I had a chain break on my XT660R, it made a number on the swingarm, chain guard and sprocket carrier, but the engine was safe because Yamaha did include a case saver as original equipment.

I'm thinking that maybe jumping things and off roading is what weakens chains to the point of failure, that chain broke with 10,000 miles on it.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #2751
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I think its a cool looking bike but a lot of money for what looks to be a scaled down version of a small block Chevy pushrod engine.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #2752
919Maniac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
interesting bikes but way outside my "budget".

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
919Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #2753
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,833
Quote:
I'm thinking that maybe jumping things and off roading is what weakens chains to the point of failure, that chain broke with 10,000 miles on it.
Most DS and off-road bikes break chains because their owners set them up with to LITTLE chain slack.

The vast majority of these bikes tighten their chains as the swingarm rises on bump. Not enough slack in the adjustment and....PING.

I've also seen transmission output shafts and output shaft bearings destroyed because of this.

If you don't do your own tire changing (like you should) be wary of shops used to working on street machines. You'll likely have much too tight of a chain after a tire chage.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #2754
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Motus City Bike Night 12 October

It's the Saturday of the Barber Vintage Festival. Everyone is invited but I think you have to let them know you're coming for a head count. You can find them on Facebook as Motus Motorcycles. If you can't find it or don't do Facebook you can email Lutavia@motusmotorcycles.com .

It will be at the factory so you'll get to see the bikes up close and talk with the folks at Motus.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #2755
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Most DS and off-road bikes break chains because their owners set them up with to LITTLE chain slack.

The vast majority of these bikes tighten their chains as the swingarm rises on bump. Not enough slack in the adjustment and....PING.

I've also seen transmission output shafts and output shaft bearings destroyed because of this.

If you don't do your own tire changing (like you should) be wary of shops used to working on street machines. You'll likely have much too tight of a chain after a tire chage.
Right on.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #2756
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I have a friend that had a new chain break a side plate and go through the engine case on his new YZ450F!? After he told me about this, I went home and checked my CRF which had a similar brand new chain. I found 12 cracked side plates!?! I then went and bought my buddy some beers! Bad batch of chain, but it happens. I'll still take a chain, for lighter weight, ease of gearing, and lack of weight jacking over a shaft.
Had that happen last year where the pin just tore the back of the link off on a brand new chain on a KX 250. We thought it might have gotten a rock or something pinched in the sprocket but after finding a spare link and another master it did the exact same thing within 15 minutes to another link. Must have been something wrong in the hardening process.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #2757
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
You know, there are some manufactures who are capable of building a reliable final drive. One simply needs to broaden their horizon beyond the usual suspects.
yep, my CX has over 100k on the shaft drive. No problems, no muss.

My GL (honda goldwing) had 130k when I sold it, no problems, no muss.

just because Some companies can't seem to make a bulletproof shaft drive, doesn't mean they all can't.

jaz

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #2758
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,606
From Motus on Facebook:
"286 miles on a single 5.5 gallon tank! The American V4 exceeds expectations again as the benchmark was 250 miles/tank. The fellas behaved (with a few notable exceptions) and stuck to the pre-determined test of all interstate, all at/below the posted speed limit. 68mph/2900 rpm average. Lake Ponchatrain, LA to Cottondale, AL without stopping....92-94 deg. ambient. One test rider noted- "Glad to know the interstate range now, but next time can I just kick in $3.69 and buy the extra gallon so I can get back a LOT quicker?" At 70mph, the MST spin 3000rpm and has over 100 ft lbs on tap.....there aren't many sportbikes that can do that AND be comfortable for over 4 hrs straight. Next goal: 300 miles/tank."

"We don't think you'll be disappointed with the twist of the American
V4....almost 95 ft lbs to the ground...at 2600 rpm...then up from there. In
base MST tune."
Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #2759
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Chains...

Wasn't a lost master link or neglected...sometimes chains will break when thrashed hard. Not often, but always a pretty spectacular clusterfuck when they do.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #2760
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

Wasn't a lost master link or neglected...sometimes chains will break when thrashed hard. Not often, but always a pretty spectacular clusterfuck when they do.
I didn't realize you were into being whipped.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote