Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #3121
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
These guys are taking too long to come to market, I've given up on them for now. Hell, the new EBR hit the market much quicker than Motus. What's up with that?
Buell's built bikes before , Motus STILL hasn't. So who want's to be the self financed , field tester/guinea pig? NOT ME!
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #3122
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,019
That stripped down version in the story....WOW!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #3123
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
These guys are taking too long to come to market, I've given up on them for now. Hell, the new EBR hit the market much quicker than Motus. What's up with that?

two words.....Erik Buell
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #3124
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
The 1190RX has it's foundation in the 1125R, the M2 Barracuda prototype, the 1190RS and a few years of racing the 1190RR. Look at side-by-side photos of the 2014 1190RX and the 2008 1125R - the frame, swingarm, "tank"/airbox cover, and engine are very similar.

The Motus is a clean sheet design, new frame, engine, etc. (Except maybe the headlight and saddle bags...)

Speaking of Buell, I wonder how much the old RR 1000 Battletwin would cost today, adjusted for inflation? I remember it being really expensive for a 1200 Sportster engine.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #3125
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by skortch View Post

Speaking of Buell, I wonder how much the old RR 1000 Battletwin would cost today, adjusted for inflation? I remember it being really expensive for a 1200 Sportster engine.

The RR 1000 had a XR 1000 twin carb motor not a 1200 Sportster motor.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #3126
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
The RR 1000 had a XR 1000 twin carb motor not a 1200 Sportster motor.
Oops, my bad. Still, it was a pre-existing engine.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3127
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by skortch View Post
The Buell RS1200 Westwind (which does have a stock 1200 Sportster engine) was $14795 in 1992. In today's dollars that is about $24.7K based on CPI calculators on the web.

-steve
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #3128
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,210
I stop by this thread every few months to see if they've actually produced a production bike yet. Just seeing the posts on this page has answered the question, not yet.

Seems like it's been so long that any new technology they promised is now old. V-4? If that's all they've got going for themselves, they might as well quit now.

Now if someone wanted to revive the Britton........ I couldn't afford one no doubt, but I'd love to see them (and hear them) on the street.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #3129
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
The release of the Motus has been handled very poorly, the product was not close to being ready when they went 100% on the hype. The buying public is now over it, moved on and the only curiosity at the moment is will they ever sell a single motorcycle? That is assuming they ever produce one to put up for sale. This has Henderson written all over it, remember those, RIP Motus.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #3130
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
The release of the Motus has been handled very poorly, the product was not close to being ready when they went 100% on the hype. The buying public is now over it, moved on and the only curiosity at the moment is will they ever sell a single motorcycle? That is assuming they ever produce one to put up for sale. This has Henderson written all over it, remember those, RIP Motus.
Henderson actually sold some bikes. If the Hanlon Bros hadn't been such douches it might have survived.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #3131
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
Sometimes ya gotta hype it up to arouse the investors and raise funds to pay for development.

Paul
Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #3132
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 866
Federal Regulations!!!!!

Have any of you folks actually tried to mass produce a vehicle for public sale in this country?

The regs you have to meet are insane. Just developing a fuel injection system from scratch is an enormous undertaking.

There is a reason so many vehicle companies go bankrupt. This is a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, hard thing to do.

As a sport-touring rider, the idea of a very powerful, soulful sounding, over 200 mile tank range, chain driven, upright seating position, flat foot-able sport touring bike is extremely appealing.

Look at the latest Chevy Camaro, they showed it to the public in the first Transformers movie almost two years before they went on sale.

We have already seen the 2015 Ford Mustang and it won't go on sale until October.

Cut Motus some slack, this stuff is NOT easy and it takes a massive amount of money to get a production line started.

I sat on a Motus in Houston during their tour, and it is THE perfect motorcycle design for the riding I do. I really want these guys to succeed. The big killer for me is that I don't think they will have the resources to develop an ABS system and I really want ABS on my long distance bike. That's a big reason why I traded in my V-Strom for the 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA last month.

Enjoy the ride.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #3133
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
I agree with you 10/10th. I'm afraid that when it comes to market it will not have the technology that most ST riders expect, ABS, TC, Cruise Control, electronically adjustable suspension, etc....

Paul
Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #3134
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Cut Motus some slack, this stuff is NOT easy and it takes a massive amount of money to get a production line started.
I think we're all cutting Motus a fair amount of slack. Nobody is saying what they're doing is easy and for the most part, we're all cheering for them. But they're massively over-promising and under-delivering right now. That's what most of us are criticizing them for - basically lying through their teeth about when they're going to deliver bikes. Maybe that's what they feel they need to do to keep the wolves away from the door, but this sort of thing eventually bites and bites hard.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #3135
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think we're all cutting Motus a fair amount of slack. Nobody is saying what they're doing is easy and for the most part, we're all cheering for them. But they're massively over-promising and under-delivering right now. That's what most of us are criticizing them for - basically lying through their teeth about when they're going to deliver bikes. Maybe that's what they feel they need to do to keep the wolves away from the door, but this sort of thing eventually bites and bites hard.

- Mark
Or if not lying then demonstrating that THEY didn't/don't understand the complexities involved with launching a new motorcorp.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote