Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #316
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,308
Article in the latest edition of "AW" (used to be AutoWEEK until they cheaped out and made it every 2 weeks) on Motus.

Supposed to be doing long term testing and EPA certification cycle starting now. Direct injection 161 HP 1650cc V-4, 2 valves per, and hydraulic at that. Marzocchi suspension, Hayes brakes (Hayes? those are car brakes). Premium model gets upgraded to Öhlins, Brembo, and carbon fiber wheels.

Company owners hint that pricing will be "premium but not stratospheric".

Styling looks pretty conventional for a sport tourer with the exception of the exhaust headers which look like half a set of tube headers for a small block. Frame looks a little Ducati-ish with a tube design. Other than the novelty of a V-4, I don't see anything special.

In the current market, good luck for anything with a high price.

More info and pictures here at their site: http://motusmotorcycles.com/

Speedo66 screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 10:33 AM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #317
606XXZIP
NAVVET

Oddometer: 228
Looks like a Ducati with the engine turned 90°. Is there any connection between Motus and Ducati ?
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #318
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 606XXZIP View Post
. Is there any connection between Motus and Ducati ?

No.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #319
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
TT RDHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #320
xianx
High On Life

Oddometer: 132
for the MST-R they need to ditch the bag mounts and the goofy handle bar set up and go with a conventional riser and dirtbike style bar set up and high mount the exhaust.

Just my opinion though.

But i really like the standard MST without the bags in the carbon trim, yummy.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #321
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,533
I see no way for this to work.

As much as I would like to see another USA Motorcycle manufacturer make it I do not think there is any way that this company can/will survive.

So many here on ADVrider are jumping onto the bandwagon of praise where MOTUS concerned... And rightly so. It would be a wonderful thing to have a US made Sport Touring bike.

The Strength of the MOTUS is its downfall. Sport Touring Bikes are a very small percentage of bikes sold in the USA. And the MOTUS is a Sport Touring Bike.
They are going to need investors with real deep pockets to even make a show of this for a couple of years before going under. Bad timing. Wrong bike. = FAIL
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #322
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
motus

they did a better job on this video
i like everything about both bikes,werd is they will be spendy tho

xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #323
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,376
I'm on their mailing list, got this below.

It sounds like they are going to have a pricey and super pricey versions. Carbon fiber wheels don't come on $20K bikes. I figure $25K to $30K.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I see, test ride, and purchase a Motus MST or MST-R?
Motus motorcycles and related products will be sold through a network of existing, rider oriented dealerships. We are working with dealers that have inquired and we are reaching out to others that have been highly recommended by riders. We need your input! If you have a favorite dealer that may be a good fit for a new line of premium American sportbikes, please let us know who they are. And, please let the management there know you want to test ride a Motus.

Q: What are the differences between the MST and MST-R?

Both the MST and MST-R are comfortable sportbikes designed for long range canyon carving, solo or two up. Both the base model MST and the premium MST-R are exhilarating, charismatic machines powered by the mighty KMV4 "baby block" engine. The premium "R" version is lighter and comes standard with the highest level of componentry available. Upgrade options and trim/feature packages will be offered on both models.

Q: What it the expected retail price of the MST and MST-R?

We will announce final pricing, options, and full production specifications for the MST series later in 2011. We are still evaluating key components and suppliers and are working hard to keep the base price affordable for a wide range of riders. Please stay tuned.

Q: What is the American Sport Tour?

To make sure the MST's meet strict durability, performance, comfort and range standards, we are conducting a high level validation program that includes internal static testing as well as extensive real world road tests. We will be riding the MST's to the four corners of the US during our American Sport Tour to test in every possible condition, altitude, road surface, and weather change, so that, by the time production begins, the MST's meet or exceed each of our standards. Along the way, we will meet with supporters and dealers that have voiced interest. More detailed travel plans and itineraries will be published soon, but please feel free to send us your suggestions of beautiful routes, challenging road rides, and other interesting/notable places that we should consider including on our American Sport Tour. We would love for you to join us and ride along as well.

Q: Does Motus have plans to build a streetfighter, automatic transmission, 3 wheeler, side-car, adventure bike, dual sport, smaller/larger displacement, turbo charged version, hovercraft, track car, etc?

Motus is focused squarely on building comfortable American sportbikes. We can not confirm nor deny any other future plans. Please stay tuned for a lot more from Motus in the years to come.

Q: Is Motus looking for test riders?

We currently have a full slate of professional test and development riders.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #324
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Ya gotta figure that 3:33 am post time has something to do with this.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #325
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #326
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
I'm on their mailing list, got this below.
Very interesting, thanks GB for posting.

"We are still evaluating key components and suppliers and are working hard to keep the base price affordable for a wide range of riders."

Sounds like my initial guess of $50K was way high, unless by wide range they mean tall and short multi-millionaires.

At $25K-$30K you may be right on the money.

That would price the base model against a fully loaded BMW K1600GT. I suppose the riders lining up to buy a new K16 represent a wide range.

I saw recently on this board there had been about 800 US orders for K16s. So if the Motus was perceived by people with similar preferences to offer similar value, you'd expect initial orders in the several hundreds but no more, which would match their stated production plans.

Who'd turn down a K16GT for a Motus MST? I know the Beemer has shaft drive and lots more weight and gadgets, but at a similar price point I'm betting plenty of people would be looking at both.

or

BTW: I notice on the Motus website they are now quoting an estimated dry weight of 227kg, about the same as the BMW RT and 65kg under the K16GT.

Edit: And thanks Croak for the video - for a fairly hefty bike she looked great on the track.
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #327
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Ya gotta figure that 3:33 am post time has something to do with this.
it wqs 1.33 here
those that have seen their other vid will know what im talkin about
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #328
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
That thing sounds mean! I want one
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #329
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
That fact that it is not a shaft drive is a huge selling point for some of us. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #330
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A View Post
it wqs 1.33 here
those that have seen their other vid will know what im talkin about
Let's try this. You might get more responses in Head explody. If you want even more try Road warriors.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote