Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
ninjaridaz
Banned

Oddometer: 46
OMG, finally an American company that's going to produce a bike that makes sense to me. Competitive pricing would seal the deal. I wouldn't even mind paying a little more for practical add ons. Don't tell them I said that though.
ninjaridaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #32
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Looks very interesting to me! I don't understand the people hating on it. If it is quality, and performs; I would much rather have this American bred bike than a Beemer.

And whats with the Bama bashing? Can we leave my cousin/sister, Natural Light, and coondogs out of this please?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #33
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
That is a cool looking engine. I am surprised at push-rod technology in a modern engine but I understand the reasoning in this application.
However it looks like the chassis is still a ways away from complete.
I'm also surprised by the longitudinally mounted engine with chain drive. Seems like a shaft drive or transverse mounting would make more sense.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #34
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #35
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer

Is this motor being adapted from an existing application or is it all new?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #36
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

From the Motus press release (sorry about the formatting)

“To create the ultimate sport tourer, we had to either work around the shortcomings of available engines or develop a purpose built engine for our application” said Brian Case, Vice President / Design Director at Motus.
Domestically made streetbikes are all currently powered by v-twin engines, which did not meet performance or efficiency targets for the MST concept. “The domestic motorcycle market is dominated by air-cooled v-twins, but to be successful in the long term, the MST has to present clear improvements over existing technology and not be another “me too” product,” said Case.
After a global search and lengthy discovery process, Michigan-based Katech Engines emerged as the clear choice to help Motus design and build the KMV4.
“When researching quality engine builders, Katech was identified as a powerhouse of engine durability, engineering, and manufacturing,” said Lee Conn, President of Motus. “Katech has over fifty endurance racing championships, experience developing new engines for OEM’s, and access to the most advanced engineering and prototyping technologies. We couldn’t be happier with our decision to retain Katech for the KMV4”.
“Katech is thrilled to finally announce our involvement with Motus,” said Fritz Kayl, co-founder of Katech. “The KMV4 is an exciting project that fits well within our capabilities and experience. We incorporated technology from our race programs to increase durability, performance, and efficiency. We are ahead of schedule and are refining the KMV4 into the most reliable motorcycle engine made,” said Fritz Kayl.
“We didn’t focus on maximum horsepower; we focused on heightening the rider experience. To us, that means tons of torque over a wide RPM range, low vibes, high efficiency and bulletproof durability. Enter the KMV4, a liquid cooled V4 with gDI,” said Case.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #37
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
Shaft

+1 on the shaft drive, it's pretty standard for the niche this is aimed at
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
From the Motus press release (sorry about the formatting)

“To create the ultimate sport tourer, we had to either work around the shortcomings of available engines or develop a purpose built engine for our application” said Brian Case, Vice President / Design Director at Motus.
Domestically made streetbikes are all currently powered by v-twin engines, which did not meet performance or efficiency targets for the MST concept. “The domestic motorcycle market is dominated by air-cooled v-twins, but to be successful in the long term, the MST has to present clear improvements over existing technology and not be another “me too” product,” said Case.
After a global search and lengthy discovery process, Michigan-based Katech Engines emerged as the clear choice to help Motus design and build the KMV4.
“When researching quality engine builders, Katech was identified as a powerhouse of engine durability, engineering, and manufacturing,” said Lee Conn, President of Motus. “Katech has over fifty endurance racing championships, experience developing new engines for OEM’s, and access to the most advanced engineering and prototyping technologies. We couldn’t be happier with our decision to retain Katech for the KMV4”.
“Katech is thrilled to finally announce our involvement with Motus,” said Fritz Kayl, co-founder of Katech. “The KMV4 is an exciting project that fits well within our capabilities and experience. We incorporated technology from our race programs to increase durability, performance, and efficiency. We are ahead of schedule and are refining the KMV4 into the most reliable motorcycle engine made,” said Fritz Kayl.
“We didn’t focus on maximum horsepower; we focused on heightening the rider experience. To us, that means tons of torque over a wide RPM range, low vibes, high efficiency and bulletproof durability. Enter the KMV4, a liquid cooled V4 with gDI,” said Case.

Interesting.

Is this an evolution of one of their existing race motors or an all new design? They never actually said.

What's their racing background? I've never heard of them.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #39
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Katech Engine Development

Looks like mostly Corvette engines.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #40
Lornce
Lost In Place

That's impressive.

"Corvette officially returned to racing competition in 1999 with its debut at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Since then it has completed in 50+ races and has won 35 of those events to become a modern day racing icon. The Gen III engine powered racers accomplished the almost unheard of feet of finishing 1-2 in both the 24 hours of Daytona and the 24 hours of Lemans in the 2001 season. For the 2002 season the C5-R’s showed that they were once again on a mission with back-to-back 1-2 finishes at the grueling 24 hours of LeMans. In Corvette’s last year as a C5-R, the bright yellow cars did the unprecedented, and won every race that they competed in, including a third 1-2 finish at LeMans.
At Katech we have been involved in the Corvette program since the inception in the fall of 1997. Our commitment to serving the corporate customer is reinforced as Katech continues to supply and develop engines for the 2006 season with the debut of the new C6-R racecar prepared to compete in the American LeMans Series and it’s French counterpart, the 24hrs of LeMans.

At Katech we have the facility and staff to support all facets of a corporate program with virtually every tool required to accomplish any task."
Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #41
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Z06 connection......

The Pratt n' Miller/Katech connection is what hooked me... initially thought the Motus engine was half a Z06.....snapped out of that thought when I did the math.....Z06's are all seven liters and the Motus V4 is a quarter of that size, so the new V4 has to be all new...great idea since they can incorporate all they've learned while whipping EuroAss at LeMans, etc......I'm watching....Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #42
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
Betcha it's Chinese. Believe it when i see it.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #43
JohnDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I'm subscribing.

I would buy one.
JohnDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #44
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
I bet we don't see a production bike for at least 3 to 5 years and if we do it will probably cost 25k+
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #45
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,663
If this bike comes to market, it'll be interesting to see how they market it, which will be critical in its success. Launching a brand new brand from scratch will take time to build up the name recognition, a reputation, a dealer network, and they may not last long enough to accomplish it. If they team up with BRP/Can-Am, or Polaris/Victory, they have an instant dealership network and they won't really be competing with what Victory has to offer.

One thing I had previously read is that the engine will not require valve adjustments which is great.. pushrods and all. .