Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #451
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
+1

Debt is bad, cash is king.

I feel the same way but you have to realize we are absolutely in the minority for thinking this way.

Quote:
Something I cant figure out, Every one is talking about how this bike will be to expensive and such with a price tag of 18-22k. I work with guys who have more than that tied up in Gold wings, Harley, and Big Dogs. We are not going to even mention the guys spending 30k on a bass boat they might use 5 times a year.
I think people are going to be hesitant to spend that kind of money on a bike nobody knows anything about. Also, a lot of people are going to look at the price tag and say "for that I can have an XYZ so I might as well get one of those instead."

That said, I really, really, really hope this company is successful. It's pure American genius and spirit which is something I haven't seen out of a company in a LONG time. Also, I just don't understand why the only American motorcycles available have to be all cruisers.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #452
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Don't get me wrong, the two bikes I have now i picked up for 2500 each and have put about a grand in the two of them to get them 100%, well let's say 95%. the plastics are not perfect and I have zip ties holding parts of the xr together. I have never had a car under 5 years old but I could see myself getting this.
I still wonder how the st would look without some of the plastic. V 4 and everything.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #453
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Leaking oil or is that road grime?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #454
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Real world testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Leaking oil or is that road grime?
Seemed to be some minor weeping with road grime. I took the shot to show that grime, the Motus logo, and the oil filter placement. See the oil filter? Grab, twist, replace.

They're riding the two bikes most of the way between destinations, testing these prototypes in real conditions. They have data loggers and are sending information back to the engineers. The engineers give advice on changes to make, and parts are swapped between the bikes. Sometimes mechanics fly out to a destination with different parts to test. They're collecting an incredible amount of information, and really working out all of the details.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #455
Crow
Corvid

My impression.

I'm really digging this bike, and believe Brian and Lee are onto something:
  • Very comfortable - upright, with plenty of leg room (close to the ergonomics of an FZ1, Lee shared), but with the addition of highly adjustable bars.
  • A large tank with good efficiency for significant range (they're shooting for 50 MPG, though Lee said they always set high benchmarks).
  • Big engine with good tune, for big torque.
  • Easy to maintain, modify and repair (hydraulic valves, can do modifications or a rebuild with the engine in the frame, and most components are not shrouded in plastic).
  • Inexpensive to maintain and repair - visit your local NAPA dealer for basics.
  • Two levels of bike, base and premium, with the ability to swap parts and customize - they'll have boxes to tick when you order the bike, specifying such things as high or low seat.
  • USA designed and made.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #456
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,383
Quote:
I'm really digging this bike, and believe Brian and Lee are onto something:
  • Very comfortable - upright, with plenty of leg room (close to the ergonomics of an FZ1, Lee shared), but with the addition of highly adjustable bars.
  • A large tank with good efficiency for significant range (they're shooting for 50 MPG, though Lee said they always set high benchmarks).
  • Easy to maintain, modify and repair (hydraulic valves, can do modifications or a rebuild with the engine in the frame, and most components are not shrouded in plastic).
  • Two levels of bike, base and premium, with the ability to swap parts and customize - they'll have boxes to tick when you order the bike, specifying such things as high or low seat.
  • USA designed and made.
Sadly, it BETTTER be cheaper than a Diavel Carbon, or it won't make the top of my short list.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #457
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
All things that are some of the big things I look for in a bike. I particularly like the "not shrouded in plastic" part, adjustable ergos, and a decent range per tank. (I tend to be less concerned about MPG than Mile Per Tank)

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #458
Minimike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
I

Get the bugs worked out and I'm on board. This will be my next new bike purchase. I'm ready to buy American now!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #459
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
I had a great time speaking with President and Co-founder Lee Conn, on a variety of subjects surrounding the motorcycle.

What did you find most interesting that he said?

I want one, I just like it!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #460
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,137
The thing I got from this bike is it should be stupid reliable. They are using designs that are already proven in the auto world. The thing is designed to run on 87 octane. It has car type babbit bearings, so should be able to do 100,000 miles easy. The hydraulic valves mean you are going to change oil, tires and a chain(sprockets) every once in a while. The only weak link I see is the transmission. The engine makes lots of torque and they will need some miles to prove the design of the trans. It is looking good so far.

I think this is a great bike and I hope to maybe own one someday.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #461
Crow
Corvid

The whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
What did you find most interesting that he said?
I was impressed by the whole story:
  • A group of motorcycle enthusiasts have the conversation of the ideal bike, coming to the conclusion that no one is making it.
  • With the recession, talented people are looking for the next "thing to do" and talented companies have excess capacity to invest.
  • One of the co-founders is the designer, the other's family has been in aircraft manufacturing.
  • The co-founders put together a small team of talented individuals and companies, with the spirit of American ingenuity.
  • A couple of great prototypes are put together.
  • The co-founders engage the riding community, keeping it "real."
  • The prototypes go through thorough testing and refinement.

I hope the next bullet is "the bikes go into production and become a great success, world-wide." Apparently, there's even more interest in the bike overseas! Especially, Australia.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #462
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
I saw them in Houston....

Great folks, true enthusiasts. I REALLY hope I get to buy one of these.

I have a 29 inseam and I could flat foot this bike with tennis shoes on.

She's a beautiful machine, the photos do not do her justice.

From the engine, to the chassis, to the trick mounting of the Givi bags, every detail about this machine was born in the mind of true motorcyclists who "get it."

Epic.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #463
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,191
I love the bike but I wish it had a shaft or belt. I won't be buying one anyway since I like to buy used also, plus I've never cared much for first year models.
It seem no matter how much testing is done, the general public always finds the real quirks.

I wish them the best of luck and I hope they can keep the price competitive.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #464
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
If that's a fully-loaded wet sport-touring rig at 530# then that's phenomenal. 160 ponies and 120 lb/ft to move it along isn't shabby, either.

I really hope this venture succeeds.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #465
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
I hope the next bullet is "the bikes go into production and become a great success, world-wide." Apparently, there's even more interest in the bike overseas! Especially, Australia.

That's fantastic news. Hell if they end up having to make more than half their profits shipping bikes to the EU, UK and Australia, I wouldn't care as long as their production remained on US soil.