User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #481
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Motus weight?

Seems to be creeping up a bit. Specs at the bottom of their MST web page here now show 240kg (530lbs) dry, up from 227kg a while ago if I am looking at the same page.

Meanwhile, their PDF datasheet here is still quoting 530lbs wet.

Dry weight of 530 is nothing to be ashamed of for a bike in this class, but nonetheless is starting to get a bit porky.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #482
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Seems to be creeping up a bit. Specs at the bottom of their MST web page here now show 240kg (530lbs) dry, up from 227kg a while ago if I am looking at the same page.

Meanwhile, their PDF datasheet here is still quoting 530lbs wet.

Dry weight of 530 is nothing to be ashamed of for a bike in this class, but nonetheless is starting to get a bit porky.
Weight tends to creep up in testing as weak links are found and fixed. Nothing to be surprised about, it is a good sign that they are testing and improving, not using their customers for Guinea pigs (listening BMW?)
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #483
Murgatroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Weight tends to creep up in testing as weak links are found and fixed. Nothing to be surprised about, it is a good sign that they are testing and improving, not using their customers for Guinea pigs (listening BMW?)
I saw the two prototypes at Alice's yesterday. Lee was saying that the silver model with side bags (top case wasn't on) weighed 530lbs fully fueled when they weighed it at the beginning of the trip. I think the white MST-R weighed about the same as it is rigged up with a lot of data logging gear.

Impressive bike! It felt nice sitting on it. Lee ran it up and down in front of Alice's a few times for photo ops and it sounded great. I wish them well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgQZdJcBM4

-steve
Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #484
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,156
It is a beautiful bike.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #485
FT BSTRD
Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer: 4,336
Motus Showing at Bumpus HD Murfreesboro, TN July 29th.

Brian Case and Lee Conn will be bringing the Motus tour through TN and will be showing the bike at Bumpus HD in Murfreesboro, TN at 6:00 on July 29th.

There will be food and drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #486
FT BSTRD
Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer: 4,336
Motus coming to Bumpus, HD in Murfreesboro, TN July 29th

http://http://www.advrider.com/forum...d.php?t=710457

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #487
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
Fixed link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710457
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #488
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Anyone make it to the Sacramento showing last night? I tried, but prior obligations kept me local.
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #489
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
Well, who got to see it?

Was there a big showing?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #490
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Well, who got to see it?

Was there a big showing?

See what? An over priced motorcycle that won't be able to keep up with a C14 at 30K may be, possibly much more. About an Erik Buell 44K superbike that's no better than anything else with Ohlins. Dude, America's days of manufacturing are long gone. HD is able to stay in business cause their bikes share so many parts they can keep cost down and have a great marketing strategy. Check the new Indians starting at 30k for what is basically a HD clone. Victories are just cheap looking because they are cheap, from design to manufacturing, who da fuch designs their wheel and what about deburring parts before assembly, and their Vision? I have seen better plastic on kids rides at the carnivals. But don't give up hope, someday we may became the great manufacturing power we once were, able to actually produce motorcycles people can afford and want to ride. Rant mode off!

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #491
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
I'm going to leave your grossly off topic stuff alone, but how will this thing not keep up with a C14 at a 200 pounds (or so, probably less) lighter and 20(or so, who knows where the production tuning will be) HP more.

WTF?
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #492
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I was there, I saw the bikes, and I liked them. I met Brian Case and Lee Conn. They are a couple of nice guys who seem to be genuine motorcycle fanatics as opposed to a couple of corporate "suits".

I would consider purchasing one of the bikes once production begins if they perform as good as the Motus guys say, and the price is resonable. I think a reasonable price for these bikes would be $15-20K tops.

Unfortunately I do not think the price point will be in this range. The Motus guys were very elusive when it came to questions about the price. I am guessing the price will be $25-30k. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as this bike keeping up with a C14, I do not think that will be a problem. The Motus is very light for a touring bike (560 or so lbs) and has 160 hp and 120 lb/ft of torque. I saw Lee Conn riding the Motus, so I do not doubt the power figures.
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #493
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
I was unable to visit the tour stop due to commitments but earlier in the week I stopped at Sloans to eye the new Guzzi's.

The salesman I spoke to had no idea that Motus was showing off their bike at Bumpus, just across the street.

Found that hard to believe. Almost acted like he never heard of Motus.

Hope they do well and can keep the price competitive.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #494
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM View Post
I was there, I saw the bikes, and I liked them. I met Brian Case and Lee Conn. They are a couple of nice guys who seem to be genuine motorcycle fanatics as opposed to a couple of corporate "suits".

I would consider purchasing one of the bikes once production begins if they perform as good as the Motus guys say, and the price is resonable. I think a reasonable price for these bikes would be $15-20K tops.

Unfortunately I do not think the price point will be in this range. The Motus guys were very elusive when it came to questions about the price. I am guessing the price will be $25-30k. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as this bike keeping up with a C14, I do not think that will be a problem. The Motus is very light for a touring bike (560 or so lbs) and has 160 hp and 120 lb/ft of torque. I saw Lee Conn riding the Motus, so I do not doubt the power figures.
The rose colored glasses are a wonderful thing. Lets see the actual weight compared to a C14 when Motus has a final version with bags, screen, grab rails, rack, you know, all the little things that make traveling on a bike feasible. The C14 also offers ABS and Traction Control with a maintenance free final drive for 15K, the Motus will be in the 30-35k price range, unless they sell a stripped down version for 25k without paint of course. Efficient manufacturing is not only key to better affordable motorcycles but its also how an economy grows, other than workforce growth.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #495
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
The rose colored glasses are a wonderful thing. Lets see the actual weight compared to a C14 when Motus has a final version with bags, screen, grab rails, rack, you know, all the little things that make traveling on a bike feasible. The C14 also offers ABS and Traction Control with a maintenance free final drive for 15K, the Motus will be in the 30-35k price range, unless they sell a stripped down version for 25k without paint of course. Efficient manufacturing is not only key to better affordable motorcycles but its also how an economy grows, other than workforce growth.
It's amazing how safe it is to play the cynic. If you're right, then you told us so; if you're wrong, then you know you'll be welcomed onto the bandwagon.

The bit nearly all the US comment seems to be missing is the tanking of the US dollar. That the US has been cushioned from price rises for imported bikes looks pretty obvious from elsewhere, but that can't last forever. Meanwhile, stuff made in the US looks better and better value from countries you've depreciated against.

A Multistrada 1200s already costs $31K OTD in Australia, and only 10 per cent of that is our sales tax. A BMW K16 is $37K OTD. A C14 is about $26K OTD. Europeans pay similar prices.

$A30-35K for a Motus won't frighten anybody here, and probably no-one in Europe or Japan either.

Predictions of doom are way premature. And way out of place in a thread that invites people to report their encounters with this intriguing new prospect.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote