Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #496
GMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Cappy,

How do you know I wear glasses.

As for the weight, Lee Conn laid the bike on its side to show what the cornering clearance was like. He was standing beside it and leaned it toward himself and held it there. The handle bars were about 1.5 feet off the ground. When the demo was over he righted the bike. Now, Lee is a pretty small guy and definitely not a body builder (no offense intended).

The bike was fully adorned with bags, grab rails, rack, windshield etc. in probably what will be full production trim. So I would say it is close to the claimed weight. 2 guys could not have done this demonstration with the 800 lb Concours

Your are probably correct regarding the price. However, compairing this bike with the Concours is like compairing apples to airplanes. These guys are building a SPORT touring bike as opposed to a sport TOURING bike. Think of it like a sport bike with bar risers and you will get the picture. The Motus is alot like the Ducati ST series in size, but has a little more comfortable seating position and hopefully will be less maintenance intensive. For the intended purpose, I would not want ABS and traction control. A shaft drive would be nice, but adds more wieght and complexity. Again, I think the bike should be in the $15-20k range. It would sell well at that price point if it meets expectations. However, I really think the pricing will be in the $25-30k range. We will see.
GMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #497
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,658
You can't lie about specs this early out and be way off. It hurt Victory when they first came out and it would hurt Motus even more so. The numbers quoted may vary some, but the guys are smart and don't expose too much that can hurt them. The information they have given has been proven already.

I have just now heard that GDI may not be used like it said in the initial press release. I've been seeing less and less mentions of it of late. Motus actually commented that they may consider standard injection depending on price point and performance.

It will be an interesting ride. I suspect the price will also reflect how many units they can build. You won't see low prices if they can't keep the bikes on the showroom. Price, I suspect, will meet demand one way or another.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #498
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
I sat on the Motus at the MotoGP. the seat is a big problem. Its great for a motard style bike but for a sport tourer its all wrong. It pushes your nads right into the gas tank and your legs are forced to be severaly folded. Also, it looks like they never tested it in hot stop and go traffic. The riders feet and shims will feel ALL of the ehgine and exhaust heat for those exposed pipes. My legs, feet and everyone elses were only a few inches away from the exhaust. Its a cool design but they have a lot of work to do to make the bike day to day livable.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #499
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
I sat on the Motus at the MotoGP. the seat is a big problem. Its great for a motard style bike but for a sport tourer its all wrong. It pushes your nads right into the gas tank and your legs are forced to be severaly folded. Also, it looks like they never tested it in hot stop and go traffic. The riders feet and shims will feel ALL of the ehgine and exhaust heat for those exposed pipes. My legs, feet and everyone elses were only a few inches away from the exhaust. Its a cool design but they have a lot of work to do to make the bike day to day livable.
The riding position is not nearly as sporty as other touring rigs, so I'm not sure how it's 'all wrong'.

I think you may be surprised at how much heat is NOT felt with the design they went with. My FJR suffers from keeping all the hot parts behind plastic and allowing only small areas for the heat to escape. The block and pipes are out on their own for the Motus and you only need to worry about radiant heat. My griso has this same issue and it is a non-issue. Even the air cooled finned heads right by your knees. I'll take open motored bikes to plastic monsters any day for heat management.

I think this will be one of the better hot weather bikes depending on how the radiator vents and if the tank gets hot. They also stopped by saddleman on the tour to get the seats right. I don't know if they are still using proto seats at this point.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #500
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,237
Seats are easy fixes and heat I can deal with. Long term reliability and dealer access are far more important to me.

I'd rather have a belt than a chain but the bike has potential and great looks.
Price is what I'm waiting for.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #501
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Pic here of what looks like a new seat on the "R" prototype. Appears very promising.

More original pics here at Asphalt & Rubber, posted July 26.

I'd be disappointed if they dropped the direct injection. Well, notionally. I suppose the key is how much difference it makes in practice. Having costly new-tech bits that don't perform better than cheap old-tech has always been a sales killer. But the promise of smoother fuelling and better economy while meeting emissions specs has been a big part of the attraction for me, and a reason why I might swallow a big price tag.

Interesting comments on the heat angle guys, thanks.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #502
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 350
I would imagine that health & safety would step in and require some form of heat shield on the exposed headers. It looks a bit too easy to BBQ body parts at the moment. I love V4s, and I wish them every success.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #503
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Seats are easy fixes and heat I can deal with. Long term reliability and dealer access are far more important to me.

+1
I like the way you think!

Regards, Paul
Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #504
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Belts are for waistlines, not drivelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #505
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

thats the bike they brought to the motogp. The problem is that the seat has a severe downward forward facing slope forcing you into the back of the unprotected gastank. So, I figure crushed gonads and scratched tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Pic here of what looks like a new seat on the "R" prototype. Appears very promising.

More original pics here at Asphalt & Rubber, posted July 26.

I'd be disappointed if they dropped the direct injection. Well, notionally. I suppose the key is how much difference it makes in practice. Having costly new-tech bits that don't perform better than cheap old-tech has always been a sales killer. But the promise of smoother fuelling and better economy while meeting emissions specs has been a big part of the attraction for me, and a reason why I might swallow a big price tag.

Interesting comments on the heat angle guys, thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #506
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog View Post
I would imagine that health & safety would step in and require some form of heat shield on the exposed headers. It looks a bit too easy to BBQ body parts at the moment. I love V4s, and I wish them every success.

Agreed. I'm surprised this hasn't already been addressed.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #507
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbadog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Agreed. I'm surprised this hasn't already been addressed.
Are you two serious? It's a motorcycle, didn't your mother ever tell you they're dangerous and you'll get hurt on one. As someone mentioned earlier, the routing is very similar to a Ducati ST3, I don't see any shielding on those either.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #508
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Are you two serious? It's a motorcycle, didn't your mother ever tell you they're dangerous and you'll get hurt on one. As someone mentioned earlier, the routing is very similar to a Ducati ST3, I don't see any shielding on those either.

I'm not talking about the routing near the footpegs. I'm talking about the headers themselves -- they are wide out in the open and could easily burn a leg if you have long legs like I do and you accidentally hit your knee on one or something. The headers will be the hottest part of the exhaust and don't get immediately hidden like the do on a boxer beemer.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #509
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
When I sat on it, my legs didn't get close to the headers. The bike seemed to have a very low c.g. These are prototypes and not final designs. Around 530 lbs wet. 160 hp. 120 ft-lbs. I don't want 160hp running through a belt. What exactly is not to like? Especially if they can get the price of the base model south of $20k.

jrflanne screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 05:18 PM
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #510
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

the toe of my foot comes 1" and my shin at one point is 2" away from the back header. The guy did say they they will be installing a shroud.