Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #511
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
the toe of my foot comes 1" and my shin at one point is 2" away from the back header. The guy did say they they will be installing a shroud.
yeah a shrowd or diaper/anti-panty-buncher for worried riders
that said i love the whole idear of those bikes

xtop20A screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 05:48 PM Reason: skpeileeng
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #512
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

I'm not talking about the routing near the footpegs. I'm talking about the headers themselves -- they are wide out in the open and could easily burn a leg if you have long legs like I do and you accidentally hit your knee on one or something. The headers will be the hottest part of the exhaust and don't get immediately hidden like the do on a boxer beemer.

I guess you've never burned your leg on the muffler part of any bike before.

It only takes one time, then you learn not to touch it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #513
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM View Post
Cappy,

How do you know I wear glasses.

As for the weight, Lee Conn laid the bike on its side to show what the cornering clearance was like. He was standing beside it and leaned it toward himself and held it there. The handle bars were about 1.5 feet off the ground. When the demo was over he righted the bike. Now, Lee is a pretty small guy and definitely not a body builder (no offense intended).

The bike was fully adorned with bags, grab rails, rack, windshield etc. in probably what will be full production trim. So I would say it is close to the claimed weight. 2 guys could not have done this demonstration with the 800 lb Concours

Your are probably correct regarding the price. However, compairing this bike with the Concours is like compairing apples to airplanes. These guys are building a SPORT touring bike as opposed to a sport TOURING bike. Think of it like a sport bike with bar risers and you will get the picture. The Motus is alot like the Ducati ST series in size, but has a little more comfortable seating position and hopefully will be less maintenance intensive. For the intended purpose, I would not want ABS and traction control. A shaft drive would be nice, but adds more wieght and complexity. Again, I think the bike should be in the $15-20k range. It would sell well at that price point if it meets expectations. However, I really think the pricing will be in the $25-30k range. We will see.
Unlike Moronic stated, I would love nothing better than an American success story alla Harley. But I see good engineers and bike enthusiasts breaking their balls to create these great machines that will never see the light of day on the street of production. Affordability is production costs divided by the number of unit produced, its as simple as that. How long is going to take for Motus to recover research and development costs so far based on the number of units planned for the first five years? How many are they planning to sell yearly to keep a production facility open and making payroll. These are easy questions that hundreds of manufacturing motorcycle companies have failed to answer and are now part of history. The other ugly part of the equation that a Moronic moran could never see is the fact that we are becoming a class conscious society where things are made for the rich because we lost the industrial revolution's edge of mass production for the masses. Ferraries are great but fiats are the greatest, the former made for the elite and the latter for the masses. I see us moving in the direction of Ferrari more and more everyday, where's my Fiat, American made of course.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #514
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
y on the street of production. Affordability is production costs divided by the number of unit produced, its as simple as that. How long is going to take for Motus to recover research and development costs so far based on the number of units planned for the first five years? How many are they planning to sell yearly to keep a production facility open and making payroll.
Think of all the money they're saving right now. The company principals are doing the development riding. They're pretty well off so I doubt that they're drawing big salaries.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #515
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Think of all the money they're saving right now. The company principals are doing the development riding. They're pretty well off so I doubt that they're drawing big salaries.
Well then! Problem solved, too bad Bill Gates is not principal, we all have free bikes just like he gives his software free since becoming a billionaire. Get real kid, rich people are rich because they hold on to their money and give nothing away.

Capriccio.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #516
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,506
Maybe they should hire Capriccio as a consultant to help them navigate these tumultuous economic times. Seems you have the answers.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #517
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
Maybe they should hire Capriccio as a consultant to help them navigate these tumultuous economic times. Seems you have the answers.
I have had the answers at one time as a Manufacturing Engineer saving millions to my employers. I have left that field as loyalty is non existent in the corporate world. But I have forgotten more about manufacturing than most at Motus have yet to learn. You on the other hand are just a troll, a nice troll but still a troll.

Capriccio.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #518
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,506
I just don't understand the constant need to write-off a company before they even get out of the gate. Maybe, they have considered some of the pitfalls you have mentioned. Let's see what happens. Maybe they won't fail.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #519
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Unlike Moronic stated, I would love nothing better than an American success story alla Harley. But I see good engineers and bike enthusiasts breaking their balls to create these great machines that will never see the light of day on the street of production. Affordability is production costs divided by the number of unit produced, its as simple as that. How long is going to take for Motus to recover research and development costs so far based on the number of units planned for the first five years? How many are they planning to sell yearly to keep a production facility open and making payroll. These are easy questions that hundreds of manufacturing motorcycle companies have failed to answer and are now part of history. The other ugly part of the equation that a Moronic moran could never see is the fact that we are becoming a class conscious society where things are made for the rich because we lost the industrial revolution's edge of mass production for the masses. Ferraries are great but fiats are the greatest, the former made for the elite and the latter for the masses. I see us moving in the direction of Ferrari more and more everyday, where's my Fiat, American made of course.
I, too, have too many manufacturing years over the dam and agree. Too many companies never even get sputtering because they have ambitios ideas of the perfect product but fail on advertising, execution, or fail to return the needed profits to the financiers. MotUS, if truly trying to out the perfect bike, should RIGHT NOW be marketing scooters. Something they can sell for revenue, establish marketing channels, develop dealers, set up service and part locations, etc., BEFORE the bike they need to survive hits the shelves.

The problem is it isn't sexy to sell scooters, and that is the reason some are successful and some are not. Paul Newman, a huge success in the racing business, became an actor and later marketed SALAD DRESSING to finance his racing efforts. Erik Buel sold less than perfect bikes to finance his racing team (same with Ferarri back in the heyday).

I want to see them succeed and I want to see great US designed and manufactured bikes on the road but, like a dad watching their kids make the same mistakes you made years ago, you can just feel what is in store for them. If they can make it across the rough sections of the road they will be home free!
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #520
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Seats are easy fixes and heat I can deal with. Long term reliability and dealer access are far more important to me.

I'd rather have a belt than a chain but the bike has potential and great looks.
Price is what I'm waiting for.
The seat in at least some of the pictures I've seen was built by Sargent Seats in Jacksonville Florida, They supplied two seats to Motus, a high and a low model.

Mary, the R&D person at Sargent, told me that the Motus guys were referred to them and visited them with the bike a few months ago. She said there's a picture of the bike and some of the folks at Sargent with the Motus guys on the Motus FaceBook page. (I hate FaceBook and won't return to look!)

It's not been determined if Sargent will produce ALL the seats for production, but that's a possibility.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #521
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
The seat in at least some of the pictures I've seen was built by Sargent Seats in Jacksonville Florida, They supplied two seats to Motus, a high and a low model.

Mary, the R&D person at Sargent, told me that the Motus guys were referred to them and visited them with the bike a few months ago. She said there's a picture of the bike and some of the folks at Sargent with the Motus guys on the Motus FaceBook page. (I hate FaceBook and won't return to look!)

It's not been determined if Sargent will produce ALL the seats for production, but that's a possibility.
As far as the styling of the bike goes, I think they nailed it! Looks great to me!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #522
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,276
Once the bike gets into production it will be like any other bike, some will love the stock seat and if not, Corbin, Russell, Mayer an all the others will get busy making one better.
No big deal.
The Sargent seat looks good to me in the pictures, I'm glad they decided to "farm-out" their seat to a reputable aftermarket supplier. BMW and other makers should take a hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post

Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #523
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I guess you've never burned your leg on the muffler part of any bike before.

It only takes one time, then you learn not to touch it.
Ever notice the pipes on the Stelvio?

So sexy you've got to touch them.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #524
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,674
I don't think you can claim failure without knowing anything about their business plan. There are a lot of variables not being considered when people stamp them with failure.

They already have an interest in the engine for non-motorcycle use. They have not invested anything in a MFG facility yet, so the only overhead they have to deal with is the R&D they have spent to this point. For a venture such as this, they are in for easy money. Who wouldn't want to have their own test mule to run around the country drumming up interest all while working out the bugs? Sounds pretty smart to me.

They have the right people involved on the front end and show great promise. I, for one, don't think they are going to fail IN THE MARKET they are shooting for. That may not be the market many here live in.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #525
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Scott View Post
If they hired him he'd just close them up now. That would save lots of money.