Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #571
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
The write-ups by Alan Cathcard;the highest paid journo-whore of the whole industry...
As for the MOTUS itself I like the idea but I have serious doubts they will succed.
Have a crank like BMW or Guzzi perfect for shaft-drive and use a chain because a shaft would be to heavy for a "sport-bike" like the MOTUS...
They must have been smoking too much medical marihuana while out here in kalifornia...
Or a V4 that sounds like a V8 ? More like a 1700cc Ford V4...
I don't think Honda has too much to worry about the new american version of their ST1300 for double the money and sporty chain-drive...
If they want to be real a bike like that needs shaftdrive,ABS,TC and better looking engine castings from day one to have a chance in todays super competitive market where money is tight.
Then but only then they could charge an extra 20% max "patriotic tax"...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #572
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A View Post
nothing wrong with pushrod motor as long as you dont expect it to rev to the stratosphere,as a plus it is much simpler,lighter,easier/less costly to service and less top heavy than a ohc motor,pluss these babies have direct injection,a first for a motersickle
Direct injection was first used in 1920's and can be a real bitch to get right because its heat sensitive, too much and you get pre-mature ejaculation, not enough and the fuel will not atomize, now add all the other variables. ST1300, Yamaha Venture and Vmax, Aprilia's V4 are great examples of V4's, the latter two are state of the art/edge of technology, the Tuono V4 is breaking hearts all over Europe, so the market for V4's is mature if Motus can keep the price from touching the stratosphere.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #573
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
The write-ups by Alan Cathcard;the highest paid journo-whore of the whole industry...
As for the MOTUS itself I like the idea but I have serious doubts they will succed.
Have a crank like BMW or Guzzi perfect for shaft-drive and use a chain because a shaft would be to heavy for a "sport-bike" like the MOTUS...
They must have been smoking too much medical marihuana while out here in kalifornia...
I don't think Honda has too much to worry about the new american version of their ST1300 for double the money and sporty chain-drive...
If they want to be real a bike like that needs shaftdrive,ABS,TC and better looking engine castings from day one to have a chance in todays super competitive market where money is tight.
I am curious. Have you seen or heard the Motus? It is pretty impressive for a prototype.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #574
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Ahh, the 'BMW or bust' guy is back.
Shaft drives are costly and heavy. They don't add much to the mix these days. Chain allows FD ratio adjustment. Many fantastic touring rigs use chains....and EVERY real sport bike uses them or converts belts to them for race use.
The engine sound is subjective, but only you have complained. I am not surprised.
Why would any major MFG be worried about Motus who ~may~ be a 300 units a year outfit? Motus will pluck enough people away from FJRs, Connies, and STs to make a go of it regardless of your german snobbery.
Who said it won't have ABS? Never saw that in a Motus press release.
Who said it needs TC? Most riders would like to have less do-dads that could break (wait, you are a BMW fan, you like crap you don't need that breaks)
THE BIKE IS A PROTOTYPE. Comments on the final product can only be made once it actually is a final product.

It really doesn't matter since you would never buy one anyway. We have proven that in your trio of 'what I hate about every MFG' threads. The bike is made for a segment of riders who think this is EXACTLY what they have been waiting for.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #575
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Ahh, the 'BMW or bust' guy is back.
Shaft drives are costly and heavy. They don't add much to the mix these days. Chain allows FD ratio adjustment. Many fantastic touring rigs use chains....and EVERY real sport bike uses them or converts belts to them for race use.
The engine sound is subjective, but only you have complained. I am not surprised.
Why would any major MFG be worried about Motus who ~may~ be a 300 units a year outfit? Motus will pluck enough people away from FJRs, Connies, and STs to make a go of it regardless of your german snobbery.
Who said it won't have ABS? Never saw that in a Motus press release.
Who said it needs TC? Most riders would like to have less do-dads that could break (wait, you are a BMW fan, you like crap you don't need that breaks)
THE BIKE IS A PROTOTYPE. Comments on the final product can only be made once it actually is a final product.

It really doesn't matter since you would never buy one anyway. We have proven that in your trio of 'what I hate about every MFG' threads. The bike is made for a segment of riders who think this is EXACTLY what they have been waiting for.
Chains sap less energy too because they don't go through as many direction changes as shafts do.

MotUS reminds me of when Buell started up...except the target is a sport-touring rig. I wish them luck and, hopefully, one day they may build one that I may be interested in...a bit more room in the legs and less of a reach to the bars...
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #576
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
Chains sap less energy too because they don't go through as many direction changes as shafts do.

MotUS reminds me of when Buell started up...except the target is a sport-touring rig. I wish them luck and, hopefully, one day they may build one that I may be interested in...a bit more room in the legs and less of a reach to the bars...
Hmm...Motus adventure bike?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #577
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Having sat on the Motus and on a Honda ST1300, I was pretty suprised to hear someone compare them, till I thought about it and realized both are marketed as sport-touring bikes and both have V-4s. Outside of that, however, the bikes feel VERY different. I don't think they will appeal much to the same crowd, so I guess I agree that Honda doesn't have anything to worry about as far as the Motus taking ST1300 buyers away.

Sitting on a Motus, if feels half the weight of the Honda and much smaller. Of course I haven't had the chance to ride one yet, but I am hopefull I will get that chance at some point. Personally, if the Motus is near the claimed HP and weight figures they are making, and I think it is, and with the seat height, handlebar, and foot pegs adjustability they are promising, I would LOVE to have one. If I can't afford one new, there will be used ones on the market eventually. Besides, I'm in no hurry.

I wish these guys all the success they hope for. I am so tired of the negativism that is so pervasive when someone is working so hard to make their vision a reality.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #578
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Yes, I'm pretty sure the bike was designed while they were riding the prototypes through California.....
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #579
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
If you mount your engine longitudinally, you deal with a single direction change regardless of final drive mechanism.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #580
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Love my K1200R, and the Motus seems like it may appeal to me as a sport-tourer. can't wait to check it out. As far as shaft drives, I think the day when they were an important alternative are done. For Guzzi and BMW they're more like a signature now.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #581
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
If you mount your engine longitudinally, you deal with a single direction change regardless of final drive mechanism.
VERY ASTUTE OF YOU !! i actually got a mild headache sussing it out !!
hahahahahahaahaahahhaaha
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #582
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
300 bikes a year at $25k is 7.5 million dollars...That's not a bad gross income in year one.
Not if it costs you an aggrigate $26K or more to get said bike to a paying customer.

Quote:
They started this project at a perfect time- engineering firms need work to do with the downturn in the auto industry. MFG firms are more willing to take on small batch projects. They have timing and a good idea on their hands.
Yes, if the money lasts long enough to reach profitability... That is always the hard part.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #583
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post

Yes, if the money lasts long enough to reach profitability... That is always the hard part.
It's good all the people working on this have day jobs.
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #584
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
Correct.

Unrelated to your post but still relevant is the fact that parasitic loss is generally greater through a shaft drive system than it is through a chain and sprockets.

For more than a decade I've had a requirement that my touring bike final drive be shaft or belt drive. I've typically felt this way due to maintenance requirements of a chain, and not wanting to deal with it on the road. Beyond that, I've personally had a chain that was properly adjusted and only a few thousand miles old start "growing" in length so rapidly that the chain needed another adjustment after only a few hundred miles. For those who don't know this is an indication that the chain is in the late stages of failure due to accelerated wear from lack of grease inside the pins & rollers. This is not visible from the outside. However, this year I decided I wasn't going to let a chain keep me from an otherwise nearly perfect middleweight adventure tourer and bought a Tiger 800.

The same goes for the Motus. There are a bunch of things to like about this bike, and the fact that they used a chain final drive - something that saves significant research and production dollars - isn't something I'd be likely to hold against them.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #585
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Correct.

Unrelated to your post but still relevant is the fact that parasitic loss is generally greater through a shaft drive system than it is through a chain and sprockets.

For more than a decade I've had a requirement that my touring bike final drive be shaft or belt drive. I've typically felt this way due to maintenance requirements of a chain, and not wanting to deal with it on the road. Beyond that, I've personally had a chain that was properly adjusted and only a few thousand miles old start "growing" in length so rapidly that the chain needed another adjustment after only a few hundred miles. For those who don't know this is an indication that the chain is in the late stages of failure due to accelerated wear from lack of grease inside the pins & rollers. This is not visible from the outside. However, this year I decided I wasn't going to let a chain keep me from an otherwise nearly perfect middleweight adventure tourer and bought a Tiger 800.

The same goes for the Motus. There are a bunch of things to like about this bike, and the fact that they used a chain final drive - something that saves significant research and production dollars - isn't something I'd be likely to hold against them.
this is a known, but modern x-ring chains on steel sprockets with regular minor lubing(evey 300 miles or so) will last easy 10,000 miles,minimum,the worst thing you can do,of course,is pressure wash,or 25cent carwash, your sealed chain
damn, hope i dint start a chain spit-fight thread yak
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote