Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #766
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
"....it's not enough power until I can spin the tires in top gear at the end of the longest straight at over 200 mph."

If you are buying a $25,000 sport tourer, worrying about having to replace rear tires every 3,000 miles seems funny.

That's right up there with guys who buy Dodge Vipers and then complain because the tires cost $1,000 each and only last 5,000 miles. It's a Viper. Really?!?

The price of going fast is that you burn your consumables faster. It IS what it IS.

Cheers.
On a related note, I am going to murder the first fat grey beard that puts a car tire on one of these.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #767
schwartzkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I'm really digging this bike, and believe Brian and Lee are onto something:
  • Very comfortable - upright, with plenty of leg room (close to the ergonomics of an FZ1, Lee shared), but with the addition of highly adjustable bars.
  • A large tank with good efficiency for significant range (they're shooting for 50 MPG, though Lee said they always set high benchmarks).
  • Big engine with good tune, for big torque.
  • Easy to maintain, modify and repair (hydraulic valves, can do modifications or a rebuild with the engine in the frame, and most components are not shrouded in plastic).
  • Inexpensive to maintain and repair - visit your local NAPA dealer for basics.
  • Two levels of bike, base and premium, with the ability to swap parts and customize - they'll have boxes to tick when you order the bike, specifying such things as high or low seat.
  • USA designed and made.
Yes! The only ding in my book is the chain, but i can live with that because all the points you list above.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
schwartzkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #768
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Is Motus expected to exhibit at the "International Motorcycle Show" as it makes it's way around the US?
Might be something to encourage me to attend, tired of seeing the same ol' hundred pirate gear vendors and street video vendors.
I suggested that on the Motus Facebook page, but IMS has a history of RAPING the vendors. I doubt Motus would make it on the whole tour unless they joined in a 'shared' stage like Piaggio is doing with 'Guzzi.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #769
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
"....it's not enough power until I can spin the tires in top gear at the end of the longest straight at over 200 mph."

If you are buying a $25,000 sport tourer, worrying about having to replace rear tires every 3,000 miles seems funny.

That's right up there with guys who buy Dodge Vipers and then complain because the tires cost $1,000 each and only last 5,000 miles. It's a Viper. Really?!?

The price of going fast is that you burn your consumables faster. It IS what it IS.

Cheers.
If I wanted go real fast I`d get an R1 or 1125r get sticky rubber and do track days and burn a set off in a weekend or two.
I still go pretty fast on the uly with wifey on board too, but its stunning how fast the tire wears. I`m not rich but do like sporty bikes that I can ride 2 up, this is on my radar but there is a bunch to choose from. I`ll keep riding the Uly till it breaks or something comes along that does things it does better,but that will be hard to beat as I got it at closeout prices that new bikes can`t come close to.
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
78 BMW R100rs (sold 3/13/11)
04 KTM200exc 09 Kawasaki Versys(daughters)
cccbarkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #770
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccbarkbuster View Post
If I wanted go real fast I`d get an R1 or 1125r get sticky rubber and do track days and burn a set off in a weekend or two.
I still go pretty fast on the uly with wifey on board too, but its stunning how fast the tire wears. I`m not rich but do like sporty bikes that I can ride 2 up, this is on my radar but there is a bunch to choose from. I`ll keep riding the Uly till it breaks or something comes along that does things it does better,but that will be hard to beat as I got it at closeout prices that new bikes can`t come close to.
Has anyone "Ully'ed" an 1125 yet?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #771
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,481
Quote:
Hmmmm... 160hp and 122lbs.ft. of torque. Will a rear tire hold up to that much power for more than 4000 miles? My Uly xt is nowhere near that powerful and I only get 6000 miles out its rear. Does it have the ground clearance to use the tire to its edge? I`m interested but don`t want to be buying 3 tires a season, and how easy have they designed the rear wheel to come off? front wheel too for that matter? Center stand too! I miss having one on the Uly but have acquired front and rear stands for tire changes.
I've been running the Metzeler ME800 radials the past couple seasons. The rears last 10,000 for me, 2-up and "sport-touring". (You'll have to go down from a 180/55-17 to a 170/60-17 if you make the change. There is no ME880 larger than 170/60-17.)

Otherwise, pretty much every sport touring tire out there is going to last 4k to 8k, not matter what bike it's on...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #772
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Has anyone "Ully'ed" an 1125 yet?

That would be an awesome bike but haven`t seen anyone pull it off yet. The 1125 platform is lighter than the XB platform so it would make for a machine lighter than the new big adventure bikes from everybody! EBR has racing on his brain for now so it`ll be a while!
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #773
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Sure is quiet in Motus land any new news?
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
Old 12-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #774
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Sure is quiet in Motus land any new news?
Good question. I just looked on their Facebook page:

Motus Motorcycles Thanks for checkin back in.... Pricing coming soon, but we still have a bit more work to do in securing final production quotes, etc...thanks for patience. December 13 at 11:24am
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #775
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
did this get posted.. You can hear the bike in this video, I don't know what I thought it would sound like but not like that maybe.
">
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #776
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
I could see how traction control would be good. I wonder how much one of those direct injectors lasts/costs.
>>“I have no idea what the market for sport-touring bikes is,” he said, pointing out that since nobody else sells an American-built sport-tourer, “nobody knows what the market is,” and in any case, “we’re not trying to sell tens of thousands of bikes.” The business model is much smaller, around 200 units a year
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/07/motus-in-person/
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #777
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
This might sound strange, but I have to wonder about "crash-ability." In other words, how much damage would it sustain in a minor tip-over/crash?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #778
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
This might sound strange, but I have to wonder about "crash-ability." In other words, how much damage would it sustain in a minor tip-over/crash?

Can't be any worse than a BMW R model.

Man that bike looks sweet in white with those red valve covers.

Sounds absolutely BITCHIN too.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #779
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Unfortunately, I'm in the useless category for a motorcycle manufacturer, as I can't see myself buying brand new, nor spending that much on a bike at this point in my life at all. So as much as I'd like to complain about this and that, since I'm not going to be amongst the first buyers, rather trying to pick it up used for a (hopefully) better deal, what can I say other than I hope lots of people with more money than me buy lots of these things to keep Motus in business, and selling as many bikes as they can build?

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #780
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
Unfortunately, I'm in the useless category for a motorcycle manufacturer, as I can't see myself buying brand new, nor spending that much on a bike at this point in my life at all. So as much as I'd like to complain about this and that, since I'm not going to be amongst the first buyers, rather trying to pick it up used for a (hopefully) better deal, what can I say other than I hope lots of people with more money than me buy lots of these things to keep Motus in business, and selling as many bikes as they can build?
I am wondering if I should go ahead and bite the bullet on getting one of these brand new? Should have a great time riding it, be the envy of anyone who see me on it, and still be able to find a willing buyer for it when I want to sell it! At least the used $ amount I would be paying is on a new bike vs. a used bike.

Just gotta convince the CFO (wife) that this is a good idea.