Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #871
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Yep, that would be the key for me too. Especially the way BMW does it. Three settings for rear preload?

Would be nice if Motus offered electronic cruise, tho, for that money. Imagine they won't.
I dont think the Motus is meant to be ridden on roads where cruise control is usefull.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #872
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I dont think the Motus is meant to be ridden on roads where cruise control is usefull.
It's a big continent we live on.. not all of us are lucky to live near the Smoky mountains or the great riding of soutern Cali... very often, it's a whole lot of nothing for 2 or 3 days till we can start dancing with roads.. it sure would be handy to have electronic cruise control.. Buyers will have to settle for a throttle lock.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #873
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,385
Not sure if that'd be an issue for many.

I can't bring myself to drive a car in cruise control mode.
No way I could do it on a bike.
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #874
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,113
Well, for the cost of $20K+ maybe CC could at least be an option"

I suppose with carbon fiber and titanium parts in the makeup it may be a value but I can't see it.
I'll wait for a depreciated model in a few years.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #875
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Not sure if that'd be an issue for many.

I can't bring myself to drive a car in cruise control mode.
No way I could do it on a bike.
Try riding across Kansas to get to Colorado... or riding across Nebraska coming back.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #876
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Try riding across Kansas to get to Colorado... or riding across Nebraska coming back.
I rode home from Flagstaff in 48 hours once. Does that count? These days I just avoid major highways.

How prevalent is cruise control on modern machines?

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #877
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
It should have fly by wire throttle. There for cruise is a switch or two.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #878
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
I rode home from Flagstaff in 48 hours once. Does that count? These days I just avoid major highways.

I used to think I didn't need it, but really enjoy having it now and I've rode from Kansas to Colorado. After having ABS and Cruise Control it's the two things I want on a bike today. I was looking at a GS and was disappointed that I could not get CC. CC is something that many don't think they need or want until they have it.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #879
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
First time I used CC on a bike - maybe even the only time - was with a BMW K1200LT. Couldn't believe how relaxing it made things.

Prevents you straying into heavy-penalty speed territory through inattention.

Not an issue where enforcement of open road speed limits isn't an issue. But those places are getting fewer, on tarmac anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #880
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Electronic cruise control? Gadgets, smadgets!

Throttle lock is perfectly suitable for wide flat stretches or to de-cramp one's right hand.
Put the electronic gizmos into injection refinements and the like.
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #881
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Been there done that. Had a great time everytime, except the time I decided to pound across on I-70. State of mind and all that.

Nothing against cc BTW.
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #882
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 842
Alright folks.......

....This new Motus appears to be a fantastic Sport-Touring Motorcycle.

I am a big fan of ABS, Traction control, and other electronics that make riding safer and more fun.

While I'm still not convinced that an electronic throttle is better than a steel cable on a motorcycle, I do understand the engineering argument FOR such systems. I don't know if I want one, but I understand how they can make the bike perform better, and that can't be a bad thing.

As far as the Motus having factory cruise control, this machine is a brand new engineering effort from the ground up. I think they have their hands full just building a brand new engine, fuel management system, and chassis, without adding cruise control to the "to do" list.

In my mind, cruise control, satellite radio, GPS Navigation, communication systems, everything that is secondary to the act of riding the motorcycle, is better handled by aftermarket farkles. I have a communication tank bag from RKA Luggage that handles my GPS, Sat Rad, telephone, two-way radio, CB radio, etc., all blue-toothed with no wires into my helmet. I can take it from bike to bike. It's better than ANY factory system.

So, Cruise Control, here is a SIMPLE, CHEAP, cruise control that you can put on your new MOTUS.

Stop crying about the OEM fitment and just buy this:

Go Cruise Throttle Control

GoCruise Throttle Control Review
by Brandon Jackson for webBikeWorld.com
More:
▪ wBW
Reviews Home
Owner Comments (Below)
▪ wBW Motorcycle Cruise Control Reviews
Summary
A simply elegant throttle lock device for motorcycles.
Introduction
I live in the southeast United States, an area with a great variety of different roads on which to ride.
Do you like to cruise and enjoy the scenery? We've got it.
Do you prefer twisty, technical riding? We have that as well.
One problem around here, however, is that getting to those fun and interesting ribbons of asphalt requires some time on the interstate. It’s not a necessity but it does save a lot of time.
I have no objection to riding on the interstate highway system but it can be a bit boring and monotonous.
As a result, even after only 20 or 30 minutes of riding on the "Superslab", I'm moving around in the seat, stretching my legs, flexing my hands -- I mean hand -- the left one specifically.
Of course, when riding a motorcycle, that right hand must remain on the throttle at all times on the highway.
Sure, you can pull in the clutch while you let go of the throttle for a moment -- but a moment is about all you’re going to get and remain safe.
If you do a lot of long-distance travel, then the obvious solution is a cruise control or throttle lock. For large touring rigs, such as Honda’s Gold Wing, there are real cruise control units that actually monitor the speed of the bike and maintain a consistent speed through the use of servos and electronics. These cruise control systems are similar to what one might find in a car.
For most motorcycle owners though, a simple throttle lock will do the job, providing relief to that right hand for a minute or two during a long ride.
Throttle Locks
A throttle lock is just what it sounds like: a device that simple holds the throttle grip in place at a set point through the use of pressure or other force applied to the grip.
This approach keeps the fuel flowing at a consistent rate, but of course the motorcycle may speed up or slow down, depending on changes in the angle of the road over hills and valleys or even changes in wind speed and direction.
Over the past several decades, lots of different designs and approaches have been developed to hold that right hand grip in place. These have ranged from simple and low cost solutions to complex and surprisingly expensive ones.
Today we’re going to take a look at a device that is low cost, very simple, and dare I say, elegant.

BUY YOUR
Motorcycle Throttle Locks
At the wBW Amazon.com Store!

The Go Cruise Throttle Control
A small, lightweight piece of plastic. That sums up the Go Cruise Throttle lock. One piece, no moving parts, no springs and no electronics. It really doesn’t get simpler than this.
The only accessory is a broad silicone rubber ring, included with the Go Cruise to help improve grip on certain throttle grips.
The Go Cruise is available in two different sizes to accommodate 7/8" or 1" handlebars. It is also available in different colors to suit your taste; black and silver are available in both the small and large sizes and there is a new chrome version available in the large (1") size only.
The Go Cruise is 3-7/8 inches (97 mm) long and has an opening at one end where the "jaws" can be spread open to fit around and clamp onto the motorcycle's throttle grip.
Go Cruise includes simple instructions, warning you about the "wrong" way to grab it and open it. Heeding this warning will keep you from breaking the device when putting it on your grip.
To engage the Go Cruise, simply hold the throttle at the desired position and then use the index finger to rotate the device until the end is resting on the brake lever. To disengage it, simply rotate the throttle grip forward to close the throttle.
Doing so will rotate the Go Cruise back to a neutral position so it is no longer holding the throttle grip and it is back in an easy to access position for its next use.
The design is so simple that I'm surprised that no one else has come up with this concept until now (if someone did I missed it!). Many throttle lock systems require removal and re-installation of some of the throttle parts, replacement of the bar-ends, and/or other similar "hoops" to be leapt through. The Go Cruise has no such requirements save for installing on the silicone band on the throttle grip if needed.

Installing the GoCruise Throttle Lock: 1. This is the silicone ring included in the kit.

2. Install the silicone ring on the throttle grip.

BUY YOUR
Posi-Lock Connectors
From webBikeWorld.com!

Posi-Lock Kits and Assortment Packs
Read the wBW Posi-Lock Review

3. Place the GoCruise Throttle Lock over the throttle (shown from in front of handlebars).

4. Go Cruise Throttle Control installed on the grip.

BUY YOUR
Motorcycle Throttle Locks
At the wBW Amazon.com Store!

The "Perfect" Motorcycle Cruise Control?
Sounds nearly perfect, and it almost is. The issue I’ve run in to is that on my bike, with my grips, is that the Go Cruise can slip a little bit after it is set. Also, I have a set of Oxford heated grips on my Suzuki SV650 and, as it turns out, these have both a good and a bad side effect when using the Go Cruise.
On the plus side, the heated rips are a little larger in diameter than standard grips, and this helps ensure that the throttle lock has sufficient pressure on the grip.
On the negative side though, the rubber surface of the heated grip is harder than average. As such, the Go Cruise doesn’t grip as well on the smooth, hard surface.
Using the included silicone ring does help, but sometimes the GoCruise slips a little bit anyway. Engine vibration is also a factor, as the vibes making their way to the handlebars can make this worse.
I can set the GoCruise on my throttle and it will hold there all day sitting in the driveway with the engine off. On the road with the engine running however, I’ve noticed the throttle can slowly slip on occasion. As the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary" and that’s quite appropriate here.
I know people who use the Go Cruise and it holds steady on their machines even without the silicone accessory ring. In fact, Lee Conn, President of Motus Motorcycles (and the person who first introduced me to the GoCruise), has been using a Go Cruise on their MST Sport Touring prototypes during their tours around the country (read the Motus MST preview).
When I noticed this issue with the GoCruise, I contacted the manufacturer, who suggested I try the included silicone ring (which I already had done) or even an additional one. He also offered to accept it for return if I wasn’t happy with it. I decided to keep it and possibly modify it myself if the slippage became a real issue.
wBW Video: GoCruise Throttle Control

Conclusion

The Go Cruise Throttle Control is easy to install and use and the price of $19.95 with free shipping is very reasonable.
The only problem is the compatibility with the particular grip material that might be found on your particular motorcycle. The manufacturer does state that the GoCruise is designed specifically for OEM grips, so perhaps it may have performed better if I didn't have the Oxford heated grips.
The included silicone ring does help, especially on metal grips or grips that have a hard surface that is likely to slip against the plastic of the throttle lock. I think that maybe adding some sharp "dimples" or other type of rough texture to the contact points on the Go Cruise might be enough to overcome the slipping issue.
As it stands I still have my Go Cruise installed on my bike and I do use it regularly on the highways. If I do decide to make some modifications I’ll be reporting back on how that works...or doesn't.

I have two of them, and they are spectacular!!!

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #883
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
Riddle me this...

I get all of the 'Buy American' vibe... but what will this bike honestly do better than a VFR1200? Yes, it's 100 lbs lighter, with about the same horsepower, but it's a largely unproven motor (Chevy small blocks aren't designed to live at above-3000 RPM for most of their service live) that has some design issues in a motorcycle. Like, headers that seem to be prone to damage or burning the rider due to the engine/chassis layout. I also wonder how the bike reacts to torque/revving the engine... does it want to twist around the crankshaft?

It's an interesting bike, and I'd certainly like to look at one in person, but I guess I don't see enough of a differentiator to make me really lust after one. What am I missing?
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #884
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:

I'd say "not very", once you get down the list from Electra Glide/Goldwing/K-LT.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #885
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I also wonder how the bike reacts to torque/revving the engine... does it want to twist around the crankshaft?
It'll probably jump right out of your hands and lay down on its side, just like those damned Guzzis do...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote