Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #76
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
I just wonder why they decided to develop their own engine. That just seems crazy to me. Why not find someone willing to supply you with crate motors? Like Rotax or Suzuki?

That frees you up to focus on the things sport-touring buyers say they want... like a lighter chassis and touring-friendly accessories. I've never heard anyone say they can't find a sport-tourer with enough power nowadays.

They could do for sport-touring bikes what Bimota does for sportbikes. Lighten them up, use exotic materials, radical new looks, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
I don't know but here are some possibilities that spring to mind:

- Suzuki and other major players were not willing to provide them with engines.

- Rotax could not provide them with engine to the spec they wanted, or if Rotax were to develop one, the deal was no better than what was offered by Katech.

- they felt that getting their engines from someone like Suzuki or Rotax would make them a 'me too' player rather than a provider of an innovative and highly distinctive solution - an important consideration given the price point they seek for their product.

- they wanted to trade on 'all American' sentiment and felt that using Suzuki or Rotax engines would compromise them just a bit too much in this respect.

- maybe they just have some sort of prior connection to Katech?

Maybe they saw the writing on the wall for Buell a few years ago?
Cool concept, I hope they are sucessful.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #77
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder
This thing looks dead on arrival to me!
Who in his right mind really wants to buy the american version of a Honda ST1300 but with a pushrod Chevy Smallblock cut in half and chaindrive???
Especially in todays economic climate/reality those automotive supply boys from Katech will be in for a surprise...
Nothing against making some shit at home again but this is just ridicolous!
A heavy tourer with chaindrive...L.O.L.
What exactly is wrong with a chain final drive? Particularly with a SSSA adjustments take all of 3 minutes...literally.....and I can (and have) changed sprockets and chain in a parking lot if I need to, with the bike on its side stand. Look at that Triumph and Ducati SSSA set, if you notice that the sprocket is outside the cush-drive. You undo the bolts and the rear sprocket falls off the hub. Add to the fact that with a decent X-ring chain and a LITTLE cleaning every so often that chain drive is going to be good for upwards of 25,000 miles or more.

Now blow a seal on a shaft drive, and try to fix that. Because you know, that would never happen.

If they are trying to build a bike that I can get parts for at a Napa or Autozone, they are building a winner there.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1
If they are trying to build a bike that I can get parts for at a Napa or Autozone, they are building a winner there.
+1.

Fabulous idea. I hope it all pans out.

Tom B
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #79
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531

Does look more like something from Shadetree Mechanic than Sport Rider.
There's a reason I've come to like older, carb'd Kwack's to turn high miles on, there's nothing on it I can't really fix with two screwdrivers, some box wrenches and a socket set.

Hope they can meet their 2011 goal.

Dilligaf0220 screwed with this post 03-19-2010 at 08:40 PM
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #80
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
They really need to rethink the chain drive. A belt would not be much, if any more to develop than the chain drive and, I believe would be a deciding factor for many people when buying a sport tourer. If this bike could be as maintenance free and bulletproof as my Victory, I'd be all over this bike.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #81
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
......better yet.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch
They really need to rethink the chain drive. A belt would not be much, if any more to develop than the chain drive and, I believe would be a deciding factor for many people when buying a sport tourer. If this bike could be as maintenance free and bulletproof as my Victory, I'd be all over this bike.
I built a chain case for a VFR ten years ago and added a Scottoiler...when I sold the bike with 35K a few years later, the OEM chain was still perfect with lots of adjustment left.....I like the simplicity of a chain drive as well as the gear ratio options....chains, like motorcycles, have improved over the years and since most riders start with (and make all their mistakes) a chain drive system, chains have gotten an undeserved 'bad rap' ... imo.... Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 AM   #82
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Chain drive isn't so bad, but belt drive is much better.. ya, you can change sprockets on chain drive, but that's mostly done for folks who ride off road and want a gearing change, for a sport touring bike, a belt makes perfect sense. I know I'd never change the sprocket ratios on a sport touring bike, so I'd go with belt drive if I had a choice. No maintenance, no mess.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #83
Rich Dubbya
Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer: 244
Seems cool . Just hope they don't price themselves out of the market .
Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #84
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
This is a Race Engine Technology article about the development of the Motus V4 engine. Lots of gory details. Apparently a push-rod, direct injection V4 is interesting some other people in Indy Car and Le Mans.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #85
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
It lives!

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #86
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
I really like this bike... Reminds me of a big American version of my ST1100 Would like to hear them talk more about the parts availability, the Autozone/NAPA thing. Too bad I won't have money for one for a looooong time

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #87
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
This is a Race Engine Technology article about the development of the Motus V4 engine. Lots of gory details. Apparently a push-rod, direct injection V4 is interesting some other people in Indy Car and Le Mans.
Very few automobile mfgrs use direct injection as of yet, and no m/c mfgrs that I know of. Not even that many auto racing series allow it, to my knowledge. So it's got to be hugely expensive to develop, especially for a start-up m/c mfgr. Hope they have plenty of capital.

Anyway, sounds intriguing, and too expensive for me. Hope they can make it work.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #88
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,593
Holy shit. i can't wait ot see the finished product
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #89
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,678
The one engineer was channeling Erik Buell: "We just want to make this simple and focus on the rider, the experience".
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #90
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Wow! That engine is bitchin'. I was waiting for it to explode at the end, but no go....