Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #901
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
I'm glad they dropped that system, it was the one thing I didn't like about it. Those injectors are too high tech and too expensive. Now it's more user friendly, always a good thing.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #902
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Direct injection was one of the features that was going to set this bike apart. The more "typical" they make it, the less likely they are going to be able to sell it for a premium. If this was a move to bring the price down to a more reasonable (whatever that means) level, than it may pay off in sales. If they neuter the bike too much and try to charge 30k they will have problems. I want this company to succeed, and I'm looking at this bike in a couple years as a potential multistrada replacement, but if you want a flagship product and a flagship price, you need to have a unique product.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #903
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Remember, with GDi, fuel pressure is enormously high. The injectors are insanely expensive to repair and replace, and are very highly susceptible to damage and deterioration from water or other contaminats in fuel. At high pressure, water can become as damaging as a laser, and etch the balls, valves and pintles in the injector, causing them to leak or fail.

Last I checked, the average direct injector nozzle that my buddy replaced due to water contamination in fuel cost $560 each.

Wandering around god knows where on a bike, it wouldn't be a bad thing for the bike to run on whatever kind of gas you happen upon.
Maybe that's just me.
Good points.
I did not realize GDI pressures could run as high as diesel injector pressures and as a diesel mech i have seen what water does to tiny injector holes.

Cost as well as noise might be an issue.
Are the GDI pumps noisy?

Note: Honda did play with a GDI two stroke for awhile... or so i read.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #904
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Direct injection was one of the features that was going to set this bike apart. The more "typical" they make it, the less likely they are going to be able to sell it for a premium. If this was a move to bring the price down to a more reasonable (whatever that means) level, than it may pay off in sales. If they neuter the bike too much and try to charge 30k they will have problems. I want this company to succeed, and I'm looking at this bike in a couple years as a potential multistrada replacement, but if you want a flagship product and a flagship price, you need to have a unique product.
Some times the price of entry isn't worth the cost. With DI the risk of failures is higher..... and a bad reputation with DI failures will kill their efforst. Keep it simple, get established, then roll out the new technology, sounds like the right business for this venture. As always, YMMV.

Regards, Paul
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #905
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
They did the right thing IMO. If DI had some huge advantages that would justify it's cost then it would be a different story. Right now I don't see it. But I don't buy bikes by the spec sheet either. Some people want things like that so they can claim they have it no matter if it's really not a functional advantage.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #906
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
They build prototypes, they tour across the USA for well over a year with GDI bikes, they let a few moto journalists test ride the prototypes, then they abandon the GDI (before announcing the price) and say they've talked to potential buyers and changed their minds.. It doesn't quite smell right.

So no GDI and still no ABS, not even as an option.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #907
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Two pair of Keihin FCRs would rock.

Won't happen, but it would rock!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #908
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,752
Too bad. That was interesting technology.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #909
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
they tried and tested it
they were smart enuf to put it on the back burner,save it for the future
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #910
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 880
Gasoline Direct Injection...

....requires 2,500 psi and a high pressure fuel pump that makes a rather loud "ticking" sound when running.

The benefits are real, the technology is proven. Many gasoline cars on the road have been using GDI for years and miles with ZERO issues.

Just a small list of GDI engines: GM EcoTech, Ford EcoBoost, the 2.0 Liter in the Ford Focus, All BMWs, Audis, many VWs........the list goes on.

This is a huge let down.

FWIW, GDI adds about $1,500 to the price of a car, so on a super low volume motorcycle, it would have easily added $3,000 to the price of the Motus, if not more.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #911
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Nail 1
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #912
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....requires 2,500 psi and a high pressure fuel pump that makes a rather loud "ticking" sound when running.

The benefits are real, the technology is proven. Many gasoline cars on the road have been using GDI for years and miles with ZERO issues.

Just a small list of GDI engines: GM EcoTech, Ford EcoBoost, the 2.0 Liter in the Ford Focus, All BMWs, Audis, many VWs........the list goes on.

This is a huge let down.

FWIW, GDI adds about $1,500 to the price of a car, so on a super low volume motorcycle, it would have easily added $3,000 to the price of the Motus, if not more.

Cheers.
Love it in my wife's 2.0l Turbo Sonata as well. Great power, great mileage, what's not to like. Too bad they dropped it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #913
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Yeah, and if you put electronic gyro stability control on unicycles then anybody could ride one and you could sell more of them.

Oh, shit... my bad, then it wouldn't really mean anything to ride one would it?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #914
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post

I'd add the technology is proven with a huge caveat --- on automotive engines that normally operate at 2-3000 rpm.... just like the examples of cars you list. The problem is at higher rpm ... like a bike that in some cases can run at 4000 -5000 rpm all day AND redline at 8000-10,000 rpm -- GDI is far far far fron proven technology. A lot of people think that the cost of DI is what bankrupted OMC when they went all in with their Ficht system. Granted this was with 2 strokes, but as mentioned above, Honda tried it ... and it didn't make it to production.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #915
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
Honda tried it ... and it didn't make it to production.
That's because Honda have turned into a bunch of pussies. Won't try anything original anymore.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote