Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #961
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Guys, this is business 101. If you are going to be a low volume, high value company, you need to be premium priced and exclusive.
Fair enough, but in that case you shouldn't use headlights borrowed from KTM and Two Bros mufflers, nor does it help if you drop your most distinguishing technological feature that you've been touting all along as one of your main selling points (GDI) a week before the official unveiling.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #962
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 941
People spend substantially more than 24k for Harley's all the time. If I remember correctly, my bud spent 37K for his Screaming Eagle farkled bagger... and I'm pretty sure he's not all that unusual. I imagine the 30k range will find a market to sell quite a few of these bikes.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #963
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
So who was the person who initiated the rumor that it would be around $25,000? Everyone should stop crying and be stoked that this bike is really going into production.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #964
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
So who was the person who initiated the rumor that it would be around $25,000? Everyone should stop crying and be stoked that this bike is really going into production.
well said

xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #965
fencer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
No way in hell am I paying that for a start-up company bike, first year off the ground, with bugs to work out, no indication if the company will be around in 2 years...

Hell, I would not pay that if it had been a proven platform for 25 years.

I can get 2.5 FJRs and mods and be quite content.

Or a Connie + a FJR
or a K1600 + a KTM
Or a ___ + a ___

I wonder how many folks that plopped down a deposit are screaming for a refund now.
It looks like they are trying to re-coup the R&D very quickly
fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #966
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Where is the cruise control on the fly by wire? At least as an option. Please
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #967
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander View Post
People spend substantially more than 24k for Harley's all the time. If I remember correctly, my bud spent 37K for his Screaming Eagle farkled bagger... and I'm pretty sure he's not all that unusual. I imagine the 30k range will find a market to sell quite a few of these bikes.
Not quite accurate. Just for perspective, the only HDs that sell for substantially over $24K are the Screamin Eagle models like your bud bought and those make up less than 5% of all HDs sold each model year.

The fully equipped Electra Glide Ultra Limited is just over $25, with most touring bikes, ie., Road Glide, Street Glide, Road King, Electra Glide in the $19-24K range and Softails and Dynas in the $16-18K range.

The problem for Motus will be to grow sales after the first year launch. Most HD owners started out with a $7-10K Sportster (if they bought new) and moved up to the higher priced bikes. Brand loyalty, like it or not, is the envy of every bike manufacturer in the world. After the first 100 Motus are sold, where do they go the find the next in line to buy a $30-35 bike in sales years 2 and 3?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #968
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
No way in hell am I paying that for a start-up company bike, first year off the ground, with bugs to work out, no indication if the company will be around in 2 years...

Hell, I would not pay that if it had been a proven platform for 25 years.

I can get 2.5 FJRs and mods and be quite content.

Or a Connie + a FJR
or a K1600 + a KTM
Or a ___ + a ___

I wonder how many folks that plopped down a deposit are screaming for a refund now.
It looks like they are trying to re-coup the R&D very quickly
I think I would rather have this bike than 2.5 FJR's.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #969
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
From Motorcycle Daily.com:

The bikes will go into production this fall, and Motus is taking reservations from a limited number of customers. They can choose from two models, the $30,975MST or higher-spec $36,975 MST-R, and both bikes are well-equipped. The MST gets a fully adjustable Öhlins front fork and Progressive Suspension rear shock, Brembo brake calipers, Givi side cases, a Sargent seat, centerstand, 720-watt alternator and the incredible Pratt and Miller 1650cc liquid-cooled pushrod V-Four rated at 165 horsepower and 122 foot-pounds of torque. Other items of interest: built-in Powerlet accesory plugs, ride-by-wire throttle, dual-overdrive transmission (not explained in Motus’ press materials but I assume that means both fifth and sixth gears are overdriven, which makes sense with such a torquey engine) and to address the concerns of driveshaft fans, an XW-ring chain rated to 20,000 miles and a “hybrid” rear sprocket with a lifetime warranty.

The MST-R, priced at (gulp!) $36,975 adds race-quality Öhlins components front and back, forged monobloc Brembo calipers, forged OZ wheels and an upgraded powerplant that makes 185 hp, in case 165 hp is too weak for you. Accessories include a Givi topcase, different windscreens, and heated grips and seat. Colors for both bikes are limited to white or black.

'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #970
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I gotta say I am dissapointed- I think they missed the mark- I see this in watches all the time but usually it doesnt happen that an unproven company comes in with an insane price and then goes down- lets be seriosu its too damned much money and in this economy?? am I wrong to think it resembles a ninja?
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #971
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
To clear up something, the pipes will not be Two Brothers, they will be Akro. The handle bars have tons of adjustability in just about every way imaginable. The bikes are top tier parts everywhere.They are expensive compared to other bikes, but they are unique in many ways. I am so pulling for these guys. I can't afford a $30,000 bike right now, but I am still hoping to own one one day.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #972
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
$31,000 for the base and $37000 for the MST?

They will sell all 200 bikes in the first year... and another 200 in the second year for "collectors" who want that exclusive caché and be the center of attention at the Rock Store or at The Dragon, but how many of those collectors are out there...

Then you look at Confederate Motorcycles and they charge upwards of $70,000 to $100K for artsy bikes.. and they don't seem to be going out of business.

So the Motus is not for the working stiffs like most of us here. Kind of like the Tesla electric car... sexy and exclusive.. but what's with the KTM headlight?

I like the bike but not at that price.

GB screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 05:20 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #973
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
What is the household income for someone in the market for a $31,000 or $37,000 bike ?

I averaged out the price I paid for the last 10 bikes I bought and it came out to $1182 per bike. I rode 20,000 miles last year.
Somehow I don't think I'm in the Motus target area.
I do like the idea, the execution and their spirit .
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #974
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Motus wouldn't get any financial backing if their business plan was to go low volume and compete on price with the mass market.

They better have a product that differentiates. Low volume, low value, high price doesn't work either.
I wonder how that's working out for Fisker and Tesla.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #975
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,229
Too pricey for me, but like the concept. I'll wait and see about the execution when enough road tests are in.

I'm sure there are plenty of Goldman Sachs types who have this in their sights. The rest of will have to dream.
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote