Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #1096
ducatisarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Thanks for the video of it running. The guy on it with the backward ball cap says it all.
Wonder if he has $37k for a bike.
That's actually Lee Conn, the president of the company. Nice guy to chat with...
ducatisarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #1097
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatisarge View Post
I wanted it to have all the [what's becoming] standard tech on bikes these days such as ABS, Traction Control, etc. >
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #1098
ducatisarge
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
not sure if the thwack is because you disagree or if you think Motus is in the wrong, but this is a road bike and I'm firm believer that this stuff should be on there. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and end up in a ditch...especially for 30 large!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #1099
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,869
The thing is supposed to be a sport-touring bike, and commanding a premium price in a segment that has bikes with tremendous electronics packages is going to be an uphill battle.

The market segment they are hitting is demanding it, your personal feelings on the subject notwithstanding, DAKEZ. Not to mention we're all sick of you shitting on any thread with those three letters in it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #1100
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
The market segment they are hitting is demanding it, your personal feelings on the subject notwithstanding, DAKEZ. Not to mention we're all sick of you shitting on any thread with those three letters in it.

That's right only your personal feelings matter... right? Here, have some ice-cream.

FYI I was referring to the traction control. I have always been on board with having ABS on a Sport-Touring bike.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 01:28 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #1101
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,869
Was that so hard to type, as compared to the thwak smilie?

I'm as chilled out as I get.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #1102
ducatisarge
Adventurer

Sweet! Drama...

Now back to the topic at hand...here's a couple snapshots of the bike too..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #1103
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
I guess I don't understand the target demographic or intended usage for these things. I am sure some people will buy it because it is cool and/or unique, but in general, are a lot of people looking for a bike with sport touring tires, a centerstand, and fully adjustable Ohlins suspension (and do these people want to spend 30k to get it)?

There is a lot of talk about their engine, but I don't see the hubbub. I guess in that category that's a healthy helping of power, but in general, they made 170 hp from 1700 ccs? On their website it says they will sell it to you for other uses; why would somebody choose that lump over a nice R1 piece making more power with less weight and size?
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #1104
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
I guess I don't understand the target demographic or intended usage for these things?
That's what I've asked more than once in this thread.. I now understand their target demographic is someone with lots of cash.

For a sub 500 lbs minimalist sport tourer, besides the Multistrada 1200, there's also the new Kawasaki Z1000SX (aka Ninja 1000). 136 hp in stock form (gain 12 hp if you put a race exhaust on it and you drop 20 lbs), 3 position adjustable screen on the fly, panniers / topcase available, upright riding ergos, available ABS, a torque monster of an engine and all for around $12K in the US.

So, again, what is the target demographic for Motus? Someone who doesn't want a full fledged 600 or 700 lbs sport tourer, a la Concours14, someone who wants the caché of this "exclusive" bike, and he must really want that engine and forego having ABS, as it's now available on just about every bike in this segment (except the FZ1 in US/Canada).

If they were selling the base bike for $20K there would be a lot more cheers than jeers. Good luck to them. I hope they succeed.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #1105
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganze View Post
after all this, i think if they offered a stripped down naked bike with decent but not statospheric spec for less, that it would be a little more likely to get traction in the market from all the tinkerers that just love the idea of the bike.

+1
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #1106
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,304
Americans don't like naked bikes. Street fighters never sold well here. Europeans on the other hand love those. Stripping the fairing off the base bike won't do much to lower the $31000 price.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #1107
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Sure, but a Ducati Multistrada 1200 is 480 lbs. wet and with a full tank, ABS, traction control, electronic suspension - it handles like a superbike and goes like a bat out of hell.
No it isn't. That's the dry weight, despite what Ducati likes to claim on their website. One of the US mags weighed one. Still a light bike...but not that light.

My SMT is that light wet with a full tank though (I've weighed it). After pushing both around I can also say the SMT is definitely lighter.

I'm with you though...I'd take either over the Motus...even though I think the Motus is cool.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #1108
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
The disappointment I feel, and maybe others too, is that the carrot just got pushed too far out of reach. It's a unique bike that was intriguing enough to make me think...hmm... what if they they're still in business in a year or two and the base bike is $25K? I just might be in the market. Now though, the amount that would be a real stretch at 25k is blown out of the water. I enjoy sport touring bikes and like a lightweight and powerful one. I have a Multi 1200 and love it. They charge what they have to charge to make money, but they've missed the price point to stay in business IMO. First year, yes...long term doubtful.

Still though, it's a false argument to say you can buy 3 brand XYZ bikes for this and they make as much power, or they have ABS or whatever. The guys who are in the market for this bike aren't comparing it to XYZ. The same arguments have been made in letters to Car & Driver and other mags for years when people say something like "I can buy 13 Camaros for the price of that F40, the buyers must be stupid!"
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #1109
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I've got a marvelous idea so these bikes will sell: Sell the rights to Polaris, paint it bright red, slap "Indian" on the side and voila! New Indian 4!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #1110
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
No it isn't. That's the dry weight, despite what Ducati likes to claim on their website. One of the US mags weighed one. Still a light bike...but not that light.
And what magazine would that be? The MS1200 has been measured all over the place in the last two years, the weight was always around 480 lbs. wet, fully fueled.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the "touring S" version with both bags, top box and center stand on? That one, also fully fueled, comes up to about the same as the MTS (claimed) wet weight.