Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #1111
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
I'm waiting for someone to report that they slide forward on the seat, right onto their SCROTUS.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1112
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
I'm waiting for someone to report that they slide forward on the seat, right onto their SCROTUS.
And right after that, I ran over a nail and the tire done BLOWTUS.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1113
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
that hotus blowtus
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #1114
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,673

So the Motus thread has been reduced to Life of Brian... Bigus Dickus.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #1115
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
And what magazine would that be? The MS1200 has been measured all over the place in the last two years, the weight was always around 480 lbs. wet, fully fueled.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the "touring S" version with both bags, top box and center stand on? That one, also fully fueled, comes up to about the same as the MTS (claimed) wet weight.
A quick search turned up these offerings on the Multi's test weight:

Owner thread on another forum: one owner measured 520lbs with full tank, incl. bracket for top-box (but no box or bags); another measured 480lbs with three-quarter tank.

Motorcyclist magazine comparison with GS: 518lbs with full tank; 486lbs with tank empty. Clues in the text suggest that is with factory panniers fitted (but empty). [The GS weighed in at 569lbs/537lbs.]

Motorcycle USA adventure tourer comparo: 561lbs wet with bags, which in the pics incl. top-box. ("Only 3 lbs lighter than the BMW", which in pics did not have a top-box, so the methodology here somewhat doubtful).

Of course, nobody has had a Motus on the scale yet AFAIK apart from the builders. Difficult to believe it is only 10-20lbs up on the Multistrada.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #1116
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Yeah - that is what I thought... those are all touring versions and they have a bunch of extra metal brakets and a centerstand - remove them and you've got around 480 lbs. A whole bunch of magazines around the world tested the bike over the last two years...

When you consider everything the MS1200 S has and the Motus does not it is just damn impressive what Ducati has been able to achieve.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #1117
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
One more thing - I have not seen a catalytic converter in any of the Motus pics (a major source of added weight).

I remember reading their goal was to be emission-compliant without a cat in virtue of the direct injection system - now that they are doing FI are they going to have to fit a cat just to be street legal?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #1118
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
I remember reading their goal was to be emission-compliant without a cat in virtue of the direct injection system - now that they are doing FI are they going to have to fit a cat just to be street legal?
Yes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #1119
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Sure, but who in their right mind would be choosing between a Motus and a Panigale tri on the basis of price?
If I was going to blow 30 large on a bike me.

I can cruise around just fine on my 12 year old Speed Triple and I already have a track bike, so I can go either way.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #1120
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Against The Wind View Post
Americans don't like naked bikes. Street fighters never sold well here. Europeans on the other hand love those. Stripping the fairing off the base bike won't do much to lower the $31000 price.

Are you sure about that? Everybody is selling them here, in multiple models and sizes. I'm sure the Sport touring market here is FAAAARRRR smaller the naked bike market in the US.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1121
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
If I was going to blow 30 large on a bike me.

I can cruise around just fine on my 12 year old Speed Triple and I already have a track bike, so I can go either way.

Ah yes, I see your point. And it's a good one.

i was heading in a different direction. I'm a bit handicapped here by unfamiliarity with US price points, but it occurs to me that there are bikes out there comparable in price with the Motus, which seem to sell in Motus numbers.

I am thinking "R" version Ducati superbikes, the BMW HP2S, Bimotas, etc.

Or as you say, the Panigale tri at $US28K is just about there.

The observation that you could get similar performance from a run-of-the-line second-hand Japanese Superbike for a third of the price doesn't faze these buyers.

Which is fine, if that is what you are looking for.

It seems to me Motus is claiming to offer something equally valuable to people looking, to the exclusion of other options, for a sporty tourer (with comfortable pillion capacity).

Saying you'd get a Panigale instead just means you are not one of those people.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #1122
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

It seems to me Motus is claiming to offer something equally valuable to people looking, to the exclusion of other options, for a sporty tourer (with comfortable pillion capacity).

Saying you'd get a Panigale instead just means you are not one of those people.
The monkey in the room being that Sport-touring is a niche-of-a-niche market.

So great the bike is relatively light, pretty sporty and pretty comfortable. Other than being made in America what sets this bike apart? I can put bags and Ohlins suspension on a ZX-14 and keep the price under 20,000 bucks and the bike will weight the same, have a 50HP RWHP advantage and be as comfortable.....and is more likely to still be in business in 10 years.

So I hope they make a fortune selling that motor to Indy Car or something. I'm not sure how they are going to sell those bikes. They are cool enough but there are too many special conditions.

Their entire model is based around finding 300 fanatical patriots that have 30 grand to throw around for the sake of exclusivity, and that enjoy sport touring.

How many Hayden's are there, again?
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #1123
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Maybe if they sell 200 of them in a year, they can drop the price $2-5K and sell 300, then drop the price another $2-5K, etc.

I'm holding out for this kind of thinking...

However, I can't afford one until the price comes down to less than $10K so it doesn't make a difference to me

Maybe they can cut that V4 in half in put in a smaller bike called the MOT.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #1124
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Yeah - that is what I thought... those are all touring versions and they have a bunch of extra metal brakets and a centerstand - remove them and you've got around 480 lbs. A whole bunch of magazines around the world tested the bike over the last two years...

When you consider everything the MS1200 S has and the Motus does not it is just damn impressive what Ducati has been able to achieve.
I believe it was Cycleworld, a few months after it was released. An S model MTS (no bags) isn't 480 with a full tank which was what I originally quoted. It's close to 500, or a tad more. Moronic's links prove it (even subtracting bags and such it doesn't make it). The guy with 486 wet likely has removed the CAT (still an impressive number though).

I agree completely that the MTS is an impressive bike though...and very light for what it is. I'm just saying you can't believe everything Ducati says, as they tend to be overly optimistic with their weight claims. The MTS is the second lightest in the class...the KTM SMT is lighter (no doubt due to it's simplicity). Mine's a tad under 470 - full tank, no CATs due to aftermarket exhaust, but includes crash bars and the skid plate.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #1125
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 484
AHA! I have it!

Slam it, put total crap spec on it, push the controls forward, add some chrome do dads and call it a custom power cruiser!

Less cost, and custom cruisers sell, right?

Call it the FO SHOTUS.