Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #1261
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
I agree with you that TC is uneccessary on a bike up to 120 or so hp maybe...
But on a real torquey bike like a Motus or K16 or something real powerful like a ZZR1400 or S1000RR I would never go without it.Especially on real roads with rain,oil,antifreeze,slippery white lines and all that hazardous stuff you'd never encounter on a clean racetrack...
I rode a S1000RR at a trackschool.One lap with TC off it was not fun and downright dangerous how easy that engine spins up the rearwheel coming out of turns,scary...
The Motus will do the same as the K16 would if it wasn't for the fact that is has TC with all that torque at low rpm...
They designed traction control via all those stupid drive line losses and 90 degree power bends you keep dreaming about.

I can't decide if you are a troll that obtained the rank of master, or just really that inept at basic concepts. People wonder why BMW guys get bad reps as blowhard DBs...it's people like you that do it. I have to admit, the trainwreak is fun to read.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #1262
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
All I can say is why would anyone not get ABS when the latest systems have shorter stopping distances than without it.If a deer jumps out in front of you even the most experienced racer will panic and probably lock up the front and crash...
But of course there are still people who beat the pill and practice coitus interruptus...
As for TC I know here are people better than Rossi but all I can say from my own experience a bike as powerful as the S1000RR would be scary to ride fast and stressful without it...
A high torque bike like the K16GT,too if you crank that throttle as the Motus supposedly is very torquey,too.
A high-$$$ "premium machine" that claims to be a state of the art sport-tourer should not be without it;especially where you can get such systems on cheaper bikes...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1263
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I've been away from this thread for a long time, but I just read the last two pages..... $30 grand?!?!?

ABS and T/C are not necessary by any means, but what exactly is $30 grand getting you??? It's seeming more and more a novelty bike.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #1264
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 652
Has there been a start up motorcycle company in recent memory that has been able to compete with the established players on price, right out of the box? And I'm not talking about Victory, or MV Agusta, or others with backing from a corporate parent. Even Buells were way expensive before Harley invested in them. Triumph charged a hefty premium two decades ago, even though they borrowed heavily from old Japanese designs and tech. A Ducati 916 was pushing $15k when they came out two decades ago. The MV F4s were well above that. Adjust for inflation...

Motus has developed a new engine, new frame, new just about everything except headlight...the costs must be astronomical, even without marketing, establishing a dealer network, etc. I'm guessing Victory took years to pay off their original investment; luckily they had Polaris to write the checks, Motus doesn't have that luxury - they have to pay the bills from day 1.

If you're crying that the price should be lower then start up your own damn motorcycle company, how hard can it be?

I wish them well, but agree that it will have to be a special bike to survive. I like the styling, the engine (!), and the relatively low weight. I especially appreciate what they represent: a brave new American motorcycle company, full of innovation, focused on building something other than another (yawn) cruiser. I hope they will be around long enough to develop the line and lower the prices a bit because I'd love to own a sport model down the road...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #1265
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skortch View Post
Motus has developed a new engine, new frame, new just about everything except headlight...the costs must be astronomical, even without marketing, establishing a dealer network, etc. I'm guessing Victory took years to pay off their original investment; luckily they had Polaris to write the checks, Motus doesn't have that luxury - they have to pay the bills from day 1.
Your right that the cost is justified with R&D/tooling costs, etc. But it's not a bike to get excited about for me. Will they sell enough of these to be able to eventually bring costs down and bring new bikes into the average man's market? We'll see, but I doubt it. I'm hoping they can, I'd love to see a surge of American designed and made bikes.

But more importantly... why are people even responding to ANYTHING Boxer-Lust has too say???!? Just ignore him.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #1266
JSharp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
All I can say is why would anyone not get ABS when the latest systems have shorter stopping distances than without it.If a deer jumps out in front of you even the most experienced racer will panic and probably lock up the front and crash...
But of course there are still people who beat the pill and practice coitus interruptus...
As for TC I know here are people better than Rossi but all I can say from my own experience a bike as powerful as the S1000RR would be scary to ride fast and stressful without it...
A high torque bike like the K16GT,too if you crank that throttle as the Motus supposedly is very torquey,too.
A high-$$$ "premium machine" that claims to be a state of the art sport-tourer should not be without it;especially where you can get such systems on cheaper bikes...
You keep comparing the Motus to a couple of BMW's but I'm not sure why. Did someone carve a roundel in your forehead? If they didn't they should...

One of the bikes you keep bringing up is a SuperSport and the other is a 700lb, 66" wheelbase touring bike. A liter class full on sport bike and a barge. Some comparison.

The Motus is neither of those things but it will probably be a better all around bike than either of them.

No, it doesn't have a $2800 ABS pump to fail like the one on a friends BMW, it doesn't have a poorly engineered final drive to fail like assorted BMW models, it doesn't even have a bevel drive gasket to start leaking at 15K miles like the one did on my old Concours. It's a relatively light and simple motorcycle without any 'German engineering' or excessive parts for the sake of parts and that suits many people just fine.

Let it go.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #1267
DewNmoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
I've been away from this thread for a long time, but I just read the last two pages..... $30 grand?!?!?

ABS and T/C are not necessary by any means, but what exactly is $30 grand getting you??? It's seeming more and more a novelty bike.
Yep 30+K and you can't make me believe that it wont keep your legs VERY "warm".....

MLK: The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.
DewNmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1268
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
All good... but who wants to pay a premium for NOT having those extras.
Very good point... I do not want to pay extra for less either.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1269
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
When I killed my deer on a BMW the ABS was of no help what so ever, When the forest rat jumped out 20 feet in front me at 65 MPH. It just took the bike out from under me and I became a projectile.

I am not at any point saying all the systems you demand be on the bike are bad.... Just let me make the choice of whats on the bike.

Secondly, You bring up the new K16 a lot. I have spent some time on one and find it a fine motorcycle.... But ....
to do the simplest thing you must take your eyes off the road and look at the dash screen, For T/C settings... Bar heater settings, ESA settings etc... That is distracted driving at it best... I find that more dangerous that the lack of any of these driver aids that you demand me to have.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #1270
Boxer-lust
Banned

Hog Rider I don't have a K16 either and would never buy one because I like less bike.
But for the money the Motus has to compete with it since it sits squarely between the K1300S SPORTourer and the K1600GT sporTOURER...except that both beemers will cost around $40K while 2 MOTUSES would be almost $75K...
As for the gizmous on the dash,I'm with you;they are more of a distraction.
But ABS&TC make live much safer and less stressful on such powerful bikes...
The Kawasaki ZZR1400 for $15K comes also to my mind as also the ST1300/VFR1200 for even less money as MOTUS competitors.
First I was excited about an american sport tourer with a low maintenance automotive engine.
But with chaindrive the low maintenance concept is out of the door again.
The for $30+K and no ABS (TC) the excitement unfortunately went puff...for me at least.
That's all.No BMW tattoos here...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1271
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676

Some inmates just don't get it.. that's why this bike ain't for them.. it's for the guy who sees it, and wants it... price is no object.. just like the folks who buy those Confederate bikes.. Sure, you're going to have a few guys who live in their parents' basement who are total gearheads and just have to have it, and max out their credit to get one.. but by and large, if you need to rationalize this purchase, it's not for you.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1272
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

So I guess the question is, is anyone on this board actually planning, realistically to buy one? Not, "I'd buy one if I can afford one", but are actually prepared and ready to drop a down payment on one when they become available?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #1273
Boxer-lust
Banned

GB,fair enough.
I'm just deeply disappointed about the wasted oppurtunity an all new clean sheet design would have offered.
A low maintenance sport bike for adults would have appealed to a lot of riders,including myself.
Lower weight than the upright tourers,lower maintenance due to hydraulic valve adjusters,big displacement/high torque/lower rpm for good mpg and a good compromise between racer croutch and sit up and beg seating position could have made a great sportbike for the real world,a.k.a. real Sport-tourer!
But as it is it unfortunately has too many shortcomings and for sure no lower pricetag than the competition to make people look past those...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #1274
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,567
Low maintenance but you want to add a bunch of unnecessary electronic crap before its worthy?

Coherent much?
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #1275
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Ya but...

Thanks, I didn't have many laughs today, but I know I'll always get some from your posts, and the responses when I get home.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote