Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #1291
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
For a true 1%-ter all that doesn't matter.
37K is like a cup at Starbucks for us and chaindrive is fine to because the bike will sit in his heated garage next to all the other stuff and unique conversation pieces.
Jay Leno probably will get the first & last one until another great american alternative to BMW and Honda comes along...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1292
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You forgot: "MOTUS? WTF kind of stupid name is that?"

Otherwise, you're spot-on!

Needs moar ABS and traction control debate, otherwise very well played.

*golfclap*
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #1293
Boxer-lust
Banned

LuciferMutt,you are are funny man even if the truth hurts...
Because even for half the money it would still suck without low maintenance reardrive,ABS and TC...
They should re-do it and than come out with a different business modell making less money per unit and trying to sell it to the 90%.The pursuit of happiness for the common man not the old feudalistic approach that seems unfortunately to be the america of today...
Premium quality to popular prices,or Spaten at Schlitz prices...
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #1294
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
One thing I have noticed here, that keeps coming up over and over again, is "features" Why does a bike need "features"? I have owned 41 bikes total, including the 6 I have now, and none of them have had any "features", at least not the technological kind. Out of all those bikes, my favorite by far was a '66 Triumph Bonneville. It would have been the perfect bike if only it had been reliable. And todays technology makes it possible to build a completely reliable '66 Bonneville. Note I said a '66 Bonneville, not the fat, overweight, fuel injected thing that carries the Bonneville name today. Had that '66 had a reliable engine, electrical system, cables, chain, well pretty much everything, a single front disc (no ABS please), decent suspension (no traction control) and tubeless tires, I would buy a brand new one today. A bike only needs the absolute basics, but they need to work and be reliable. Electronics of any kind are a major no-no on a motorcycle. Liquid cooling is ok (the first Model T had liquid cooling) but I prefer air cooling. A vehicle does not get much simpler than a motorcycle. An engine, frame, wheels, seat, tank, suspension, and just enough small stuff to make it ridable.

Though more mechanically complex than a bike needs to be, I like this bike mostly for what it doesn't have. In fact about the only things I don't like about it are the fuel injection and the price. Put carbs on it, cut the price in half, and I just might buy one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #1295
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Though more mechanically complex than a bike needs to be, I like this bike mostly for what it doesn't have. In fact about the only things I don't like about it are the fuel injection and the price. Put carbs on it, cut the price in half, and I just might buy one.
Earth to Jerry, we are in 2012. There will be no motorcycles of this size with carbs. EFI is here to stay regardless of the old hacks wishing it didn't.

ABS? lots of gents feel they need it, but I doubt many have ever activated it on a bike. I could do without the weight and complex BS.
TC? Regardless of one loudmouth troll's constant ranting, there isn't anyone who feels they need it.
Price? I think just about anyone who was serious in buying one (me included) thinks that anything over $25k puts this bike in premium price category where only a handfull of riders live.

The design is exactly what I've been looking for. The price is $6k too high...for starters. The 'add ons' were hinted at being included with the base price early on, but not that even adds more.

I'm not sure how many, but on ADV alone I think they lost 4-5 volcal posters and many who lurk. You can call it bitching, but those are real sales.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #1296
Boxer-lust
Banned

While we are at it why not going back to drum brakes and rising the price to $41K...
Get with the times,a bike without ABS is dangerous and TC is also nice to have;if you have ever ridden a S-RR you know what I mean especially if the Motus is really a torquey beast...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #1297
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
.....a bike without ABS is dangerous..........

HOLY SHIT!!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #1298
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
a bike without ABS is dangerous
Uh oh...I better park mine!!
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #1299
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
HOLY SHIT!!!
Troll status confirmed. No one is THAT stupid.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #1300
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,102
Quote:
Out of all those bikes, my favorite by far was a '66 Triumph Bonneville. It would have been the perfect bike if only it had been reliable. And todays technology makes it possible to build a completely reliable '66 Bonneville. Note I said a '66 Bonneville, not the fat, overweight, fuel injected thing that carries the Bonneville name today. Had that '66 had a reliable engine, electrical system, cables, chain, well pretty much everything, a single front disc (no ABS please), decent suspension (no traction control) and tubeless tires, I would buy a brand new one today.
Wow! Just think - if you and NJ Brett were ready to buy a bike at the same time Triumph could sell this bike to BOTH of its potential U.S. customers!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #1301
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
While we are at it why not going back to drum brakes and rising the price to $41K...
Get with the times,a bike without ABS is dangerous and TC is also nice to have;if you have ever ridden a S-RR you know what I mean especially if the Motus is really a torquey beast...

I'm all for ABS and what have you but your statement is preposterous to say the least.

Both my 955s are without ABS and yet i'm still alive.

Now stop being a silly bugger.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #1302
Boxer-lust
Banned

Not silly at all.Motorcycling is dangerous.A bike without ABS is even more dangerous and also less fun to ride because if you have ABS you have your mind free not to worry to lock the front and crashing if something suddenly happens,especially if you like to ride FAST...
I mean it !
I would buy a bike without TC (not the S-RR as insanely powerful it is) but Never without ABS.
But then there are always guys who know which chicks carry deseases and beat condoms with the old fashioned coitus interruptus... Not me,I never trusted myself...
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #1303
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
One thing I have noticed here, that keeps coming up over and over again, is "features" Why does a bike need "features"?
I agree with your sentiment but the answer to your question is very simple: it needs features in order to justify its price. Did any of your 41 bikes cost over 30k? Simplicity is good, but only when it comes with the price to match.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #1304
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Boxer lust = the Highwayman on a BMW

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #1305
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Troll status confirmed. No one is THAT stupid.

Thankfully he's only ruined a few good threads and occasionally snags a new reader.
He offers nothing productive or new....certainly deserving of a year's vacation.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote