Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #1336
Nophix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Here's my one and only complaint. When they were getting ready to announce pricing, they made a point to say it would be within the reach of a large part of the market. That simply isn't the case.

Its premium product status right now. They should have been honest about that from the beginning. I understand low production numbers, high investment cost, all of that.

Look, I can even afford to pay for this machine, bit that eats up my entire car and bike purchase budget for about the next 4 years. My car is fine, but there are much more efficient ways to spend that money on bikes.

A Con14 with a good exhaust, tune, and some suspension tweaks will steal the Motus lunch money and stuff it in its own locker. And, you're saving about 20k.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
Nophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #1337
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
Here's my one and only complaint. When they were getting ready to announce pricing, they made a point to say it would be within the reach of a large part of the market. That simply isn't the case.

Its premium product status right now. They should have been honest about that from the beginning. I understand low production numbers, high investment cost, all of that.

Look, I can even afford to pay for this machine, bit that eats up my entire car and bike purchase budget for about the next 4 years. My car is fine, but there are much more efficient ways to spend that money on bikes.

A Con14 with a good exhaust, tune, and some suspension tweaks will steal the Motus lunch money and stuff it in its own locker. And, you're saving about 20k.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
...Not on the roads I like to go fast on it won't. If the curve is marked over 45mph, what's the point?

Most of the roads I choose to recreationally ride on have curves marked 10, 15, 20MPH. Hustling my fat pig of a bike around these is a chore, but a fun one.

And the MOTUS doesn't have that idiotic fucking KiPass or the high-maintenance gimmicky valvetrain. No key? No thanks.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #1338
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nophix View Post
Here's my one and only complaint...

Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #1339
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
back on page 2 of this thread i said that "i liked it" with the exception of the anodized fork tubes, and it looks like they listened . so here we are, the suggested MSRP has been disclosed, and i'll now say that i like the bike a little less based on price alone (hopefully they'll improve on the marketing as i find it poor given its price range) but the motorcycle itself intrigues me, i'd love to ride one some day. given that i live in one of the more bike populated regions in the states, i'm sure one will make its way onto the Angeles Crest Highway sooner rather than later. it seems like a very special bike on paper, and one that will in very low production, i'm just not sure it's worth the price of admission given what i see (they're not that special looking!). of course, opinions and subjectivity makes the world go 'round (value is relative), but the bikes don't seem like they're worth the price of admission, maybe a test ride would cause me to change my mind.

wishing MOTUS the best,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #1340
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
Saw the bike at Fast By Ferracci in Philedelphia, PA las Nov.
  • It does have a seductive exhaust note (think big V8)
  • looks fantastic
  • 100,000 (yes, one-hundred-thousand) mile valve intervals
    [*]probably about $20,000 (less than a k1600gt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX2Jy...IbfzdecxZEU%3D

sorry bout the sound it was filmed on my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
That is, after they add ABS and B-L says "I told you so."

Guess you missed the big price point news, eh?
I thought he meant you'd save $20,000 over the 100,000 miles of doing valve train maintenance on the BMW.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #1341
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As todays bikes become more refined, with more electronic safety and emissions crap on them, they become less fun for me to ride.
How does emissions equipment make the bike less fun?
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #1342
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
JerryH thinks it's more fun to ride in smog.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #1343
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post

It certainly makes modifying or repairing anything to do with the engine or exhaust a lot less fun...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #1344
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It certainly makes modifying or repairing anything to do with the engine or exhaust a lot less fun...
Good. I'm tired of hacks turning relatively clean, efficient engines into dirty, wasteful noise makers all in the name of 4.8 additional horsepower. There are plenty of ways to modify engines without disturbing emission controls that are much more thought out than a power commander and a 13:1 a/f ratio, and are a lot cleaner and less wasteful.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #1345
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBoxer View Post
I've been following Motus and this thread for a while now and I find it kind of depressing - not that the bike is expensive, but that a large number of the people here seem to be doing nothing but whining about the cost of this machine and bitching about how they'd do it better. I think we should all just be happy that there's a new bike on the scene, and applaud those guys for taking this project from scratch up to a really hot, functional and seemingly well built bike!

As if half of the people here would even buy a new model from a dealer in the first place, even if it was $12000. Cheapskates and naysayers, the lot of you....

I say good work, Motus, and ignore most of the members here, if you are reading. Some of us are actually cheering you on.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. Along with quite a few others it seems.
Tony
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #1346
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBoxer View Post
I've been following Motus and this thread for a while now and I find it kind of depressing - not that the bike is expensive, but that a large number of the people here seem to be doing nothing but whining about the cost of this machine and bitching about how they'd do it better. I think we should all just be happy that there's a new bike on the scene, and applaud those guys for taking this project from scratch up to a really hot, functional and seemingly well built bike!

As if half of the people here would even buy a new model from a dealer in the first place, even if it was $12000. Cheapskates and naysayers, the lot of you....

I say good work, Motus, and ignore most of the members here, if you are reading. Some of us are actually cheering you on.
I almost always buy new when I buy a motorcycle. I can afford to buy the new Motus. I think it's great that they're taking this amazingly challenging project on. I don't collect bikes, I buy a bike because I am actually going to use it. I would say, judging by the size of this thread, a lot of people are interested in this new machine and I hope it finds a niche. If it's better than my current ride or I like it better, I will buy it. How is that not fair?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #1347
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Good. I'm tired of hacks turning relatively clean, efficient engines into dirty, wasteful noise makers all in the name of 4.8 additional horsepower. There are plenty of ways to modify engines without disturbing emission controls that are much more thought out than a power commander and a 13:1 a/f ratio, and are a lot cleaner and less wasteful.

I basically agree -- but notice that I said modifying OR repairing.

Modern emissions controls can get pretty damn complicated and add a lot of time and expense to certain repairs. Plus cats aren't cheap, and neither are the exhaust systems that house them. More vacuum hoses to keep in shape and get in the way when you are trying to reach things, more little canisters and filters to worry about, etc. I'm not saying these things aren't beneficial towards a properly running engine that is clean and efficient -- but can you really disagree that they pose more of a hassle when you are working on the bike?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #1348
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

I basically agree -- but notice that I said modifying OR repairing.

Modern emissions controls can get pretty damn complicated and add a lot of time and expense to certain repairs. Plus cats aren't cheap, and neither are the exhaust systems that house them. More vacuum hoses to keep in shape and get in the way when you are trying to reach things, more little canisters and filters to worry about, etc. I'm not saying these things aren't beneficial towards a properly running engine that is clean and efficient -- but can you really disagree that they pose more of a hassle when you are working on the bike?
I'd agree. There were a lot of hoses and plumbing to get out of the way and keep track of.

The biggest problem on this bike, a Honda CBF1000, was damaging the HT leads. Lots of bikes go in for service running fine and come out missing and sputtering. If you bend or are rough on the HT leads, they break or crack and quit delivering a healthy spark. There was a pretty specific order to remove parts, this vacuum line, that bracket, #2 HT lead, another hose, #1 HT lead etc. None of this documented in the service manual. Just me puzzling and taking my time because I knew I had to be careful of the HT leads. Bring on those hydraulic lifters baby!
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #1349
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
I have followed this thread with interest. I was excited about the prospect of a new American motorcycle manufacturer. The Motus is priced well beyond what I am willing to spend irrespective of how well speced and how capable it may be.

Motus, with its pricing has decided that they want to be a low volume niche market manufacturer. Let's discuss what prospective buyer occupies that niche market.

First, are any of you ADV riders definitely going to buy one? If so why? Are any of you seriously considering one? If so, what other bikes are you considering? Who will buy this bike? For those that definitely won't buy one, why won't you?

I won't buy one because of the price. From what I have seen, I like the bike, and would love to own one. At a price slightly above the competition, I would have given the bike serious consideration. I am willing to pay a premium for a quality American product...assuming it turns out to be a quality product.

I guess I just don't get the marketing strategy. How have niche market motorcycle manufacturers fared in the recent past?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #1350
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 921
Direct injection at 9,000 RPM:

From the Ferrari website:

The use of GDI with Split Injection improves engine performance by modulating the injection in two phases, increasing combustion efficiency and the torque at low revs (by up to 5 per cent). A high injection pressure (200 bar) guarantees adequate pulverisation of the petrol and an optimal air/fuel mix right up to 9000 rpm. This feature again results in better performance and lower fuel consumption. The exhaust system was designed to provide the kind of thrilling soundtrack owners of Ferrari’s V8s are used to whilst also guaranteeing high levels of acoustic comfort. One of the main objectives with the exhaust was to reduce weight. The catalytic converter is attached to the central section of the exhaust by a flexible element to reduce the amount of vibration transmitted and to thus allow thinner metal to be used. Similarly the pre-catalytic converter has been eliminated, lowering overall weight and reducing back pressure whilst still respecting strict Euro 5 and LEV2 emissions.

So, the Fords and Audis of the world use GDI on engines that rev up to 6,000 rpm all day long.

The argument that GDI "isn't proven for motorcycle RPMs" is lame.

Now, is GDI expensive? Absolutely!

Leaving GDI off the Motus will save a tremendous amount of money per bike.

It was a cost issue, not a "tech isn't ready for bikes yet" issue.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote