Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #1426
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
Sorry guys. I'm still seeing longer wheel base and higher seat heights.
Oh, didn't realize this bike needed to be built just for you. However:

k1200r seat height = 790mm (w/optional -- no cost -- low seat)
Motus seat height = 787mm (apparently lowered all the way)

Look, there's no real -- as in quantifiable -- reason you want the Motus. You just want one. That's fair. It's a bit like religion: you want to believe, great (and maybe I do too), but as soon as you start doing "Creationism Motorcycle Passion"... rulers and other measuring devices melt to take on a convenient "proof" form. You want a Motus? Go put down a deposit and let us know how it runs!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #1427
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
K1200r/full tank claimed = 546lbs

Motus/full tank claimed = 530lbs
And is a naked bike... K1200S is more comparable, but I think it's a very similar claimed weight to the R. I wonder if the Motus weight includes bags or not...

My old K12S loaded with bags was not a light bike at all.

Regarding seat height - I really like tall bikes... but that's a personal thing. I'm 5'10", and could barely touch toes on my GSA, and I really learned to love it. Lots of leg room...

Also, I suspect people who call for header guards have not sat on one. The exhaust is nowhere near your legs and won't be an issue.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #1428
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Scrannel- Not to split hairs, but just to keep facts straight: The seat height on the Motus is not "lowered all the way". That's stock.

To me, being lighter with less upper body strength the wheel base is a big deal. Especially for low speed maneuvers. Heck just moving it around the other six bikes in the garage the shorter wheel base makes a sizeable difference.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #1429
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
Scrannel- Not to split hairs, but just to keep facts straight: The seat height on the Motus is not "lowered all the way". That's stock.

To me, being lighter with less upper body strength the wheel base is a big deal. Especially for low speed maneuvers. Heck just moving it around the other six bikes in the garage the shorter wheel base makes a sizeable difference.
Like I said... this is all about "I want to believe..."
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #1430
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Like I said... this is all about "I want to believe..."
Ok, now I'm puzzled. What did I say that is purely conjecture?

The seat height is their posted number.

Is it just in my imagination that a shorter wheel base affects ease of turning and maneuverability in tight spaces?

I'm not looking for a pissing contest or an argument. I just wanted to correct what I saw as incorrect information. That's all.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1431
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,236
Like many, the $30,000-37,000 sticker price makes it a no go for me.

You could buy a BMWS1000rr and a BMWR1200RT for the price lower end MOTUS, or a BMWS1000rr and a BMWK1600GT for the price of the higher end MOTUS.

Would like to try one, but I've never spent more than $5,500 on a motorcycle before.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1432
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
I'd just get a new ZX14, throw lsl bars, new seat and givi luggage on it and keep the extra $10k+.... and out power and out handle it. Or really, even when you put it next to my 13k sticker Sprint GT, all it really has on it is the HP rating and some fancy suspension that most riders wouldn't even notice.

For me when I first heard of the bike, I said that's exciting. Me and most other people were hoping for another option and more competition bringing new things to the table. Along with some more American Manufacturing. But when I heard about the pushrod engine, I said maybe not for me, when I saw the price tag I said no way! It's not another option for most with the price, and it brings nothing new to the table or to the world of sport tourers. Maybe a fine bike, but nothing really exciting about it.
If their target is 250 units a year, I'm sure they'll do great and more power to them. It's just nothing for the general motorcycle community to get excited over. Just a decked out sport tourer with off the shelf parts and a heavy price tag.
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1433
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
.... and out handle it.

Like anyone can even know that...
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1434
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,296
Quote:

Is it just in my imagination that a shorter wheel base affects ease of turning and maneuverability in tight spaces?

I'm not looking for a pissing contest or an argument. I just wanted to correct what I saw as incorrect information. That's all.
I don't think wheelbase is as important as steering sweep, lock to lock. I don't think there's many bikes shorter than my wife's Street Triple but man that thing is a bus to wheel around the shop, takes me at least 5 or 6 more tries to turn it around in the shop than my CBF or the DRs. Very limited steering lock.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #1435
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

If Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald was this impressed that's good enough for me. "It handled almost like a race bike ..."

Like has been said before, we do have to see the final review of the production bike, but I think this kind of endorsement from such a qualified source speaks volumes.

Here's the video of his comments-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaRd...ure=plpp_video

Old 05-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #1436
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,935
I would not want my road race setup on the street. IMO race bike handling would be unpleasant for sport touring.

30+ grand boutique bikes... they will sell a few. I could right a check for one, but I've given it a lot of study and it just doesn't add up for me. Good luck to Motus but I'm skeptical of their future. Other than a cool new engine there is nothing really that interesting about the bike and I don't find it beautiful I was disappointed they elected to drop the direct injection.

I thought they were supposed to be in production by now.

Mr. Magoo screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 01:41 PM
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #1437
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,754
Almost everyone keeps mentioning price as the determining factor. Fair enough. Gadget Girl mentions other criteria that is important to her. Fair enough, too. I get why GG is interested, no matter how many price driven comparisons others keep making.

Gadget Girl, hope you buy one and take a pic!

Btw, your logic makes sense to me, given your priorities.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1438
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Almost everyone keeps mentioning price as the determining factor. Fair enough. Gadget Girl mentions other criteria that is important to her. Fair enough, too. I get why GG is interested, no matter how many price driven comparisons others keep making.

Gadget Girl, hope you buy one and take a pic!

Btw, your logic makes sense to me, given your priorities.

Fair enough, but price is the concern most of us have, as, I am sure, most of us make less than $100k a year.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #1439
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm just saying none of the arguments you make are serious -- which is why I was making the comparisons. You can't find another bike on earth that fits you? Has a shorter wheel base? What I'm saying is those are not the real issues. You want one is the issue. Which I think is right. If I wanted one I'd just get one because the last thing I want to do is try to justify my choice in a motorcycle. Southern California probably alone keeps most exotic car manufacturers in business. And it's also the least likely place you would want to drive one. Out here Lambos and Ferraris are everywhere... going 30mph on the 110 fwy like everyone else. (While every motorcycle and scooter is splitting lanes).
Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #1440
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464

(Go, Gadget Girl!)