User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
focallength OP
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
hockey players...got a question

So i was watching some youtube videos of hockey players taking the puck to the face. Is it a b.s. macho thing or are they just brain cell challenged. Somehow a majority of them feel that no facial protection is a good thing despite consistently watching other players take 60 mph frozen rubber pucks to the face. Which from my limited viewing experience always results in orbital/nasal/mandibular/maxillary fractures/trauma, most quite severe.

So seriously, what gives? Is it a macho thing or what?

if they want to voluntarily subject themselves to horrific facial trauma, by all means feel free. im just curious to the rational behind choosing to wear no facial protection.

Do the guys that wear the face shields get picked on and teased for having a full set of teeth, the ability to eat solids and still breathe through their noses?
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Bshelton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Guys who wear visors do it so they have a reduced chance to crush an eye socket or sustain permanent damage in their eyes. I think its dumb, the only time I dont wear a cage is when I ref and thats because its required to not have a cage.
It is easier to see the puck without a cage, so at the professional level it makes sense. But IDK why beer league players do it.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
focallength OP
You're Welcome

Oddometer: 4,734
Ok, but what about those clear face shields. I watched a guy take a puck to the face and he went down convulsing in pain. They panned to a guy wearing one and i swear you could read his mind. "Oww...that looks like it hurts...thank god for my face shield..."
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,674
First, you need to play to understand... I wear a cage when I play, there's been probably 8-10 times where I got hit in the mask over the last 20 years. Never a puck but a stick.

the full plastic shield fogs up, harder to breath. 20 years ago many never had helmets, most players now have 1/2 shields.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Daytrader
Elitist Bastard

Oddometer: 362
I had a tooth knocked out (with a stick) playing beer league hockey in Nova Scotia a few years ago. I play with a half shield. A full cage would have prevented it, but I'll most likely never switch to one. I tried one last year and it felt too confining.
I do wear an upper mouth guard now though.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
rd400racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I've played the game for 35 years and started wearing a shield about 10 years ago because our league made it mandatory. It doesn't affect anything as far as I'm concerned. Sure it might fog a bit under certain conditions but you just deal with it. And I've never worn a mouthguard.

Worse shot I've ever taken was when I was coaching and a squirt took a shot while I wasn't looking and hit me right above the eye. I still have a small lump from that and it was 8 years ago.
1977 RD400
rd400racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,873
I don't wear a shield in my "beer league" because it fogs up and gets water all over it. So you are wiping it all the time. The other issue is you look like a pansy when you are talking shit and pushing with a face shield. I call them cum guards/ cum shields.

The other thing I notice, and I think this can be related to helmets and padding over all, but the more protected I am, the less I pay attention to what's going on. It's a completely sub conscious thing, but you feel almost invincible when you are over protected and you put yourself is dangerous situations as a result.

So if my job is to stand in front of the goalie and screen him, I am damn sure paying attention to where the puck is. I don't want to get hit in the face. 7 years cage free and have all my teeth.

I will say, I don't really judge anyone for wearing a shield. In my league there is a military butch girl who had her head down when skating at a puck. We both were heading for it and she didn't see me. My reaction was to level her. If she didn't have a face shield, odds are she would have been severely fucked up.

Now if they would start to teach kids how to hit when they are 10 instead of 14, we may be able to stop hitting from behind and people from putting themselves in vulnerable positions.
Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
been playing for 38 years, every year since I was 6. I played club in college which was the last time I had to wear wire.

I have lost two teeth and taken about 50 stitches. After I was cut by a stick very close to my eye I wore a visor for a while. Never could get used to it. Covered in sweat, spit, fog, they scratch, they take a while to get used to, and in a fight or a scrum they are a sure detriment.

After taking 29 stitches to my upper lip via a tipped shot, I wore wire for a few weeks while everything healed up. What a mess. The wire is one thing. The chin up is another. You have no idea how much peripheral vision you use catching a puck until it's gone. The very first pass to me up the boards went cleanly past my stick. I didn't touch any of it. Happened a couple more times.

Just like riding a motorcycle, there's a risk assessment in this decision. And a bit of misplaced macho bullshit, I suppose.

I have never played in any league, even a checking league, in any state that required a visor. I have had to pull a few visors and cages off players who thought they were going to leave them on in a fight.

I do wear a mouth guard nowadays.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
Crocker
Just passing through

Oddometer: 4,114
I wear a cage for my beer league hockey playing. While it's a pretty awesome feeling playing with no cage or shield the risks just aren't worth it. Friend of mine almost lost his eye a year ago when he was Reffing and took a puck to the face. Also seen guys carted off with a collapsed lungs, shattered femurs and one guy die on the ice from the heat attack.

Personally I've been out for a year due to a concussion or two. Hope to be on the ice this fall as my marbles are all mostly back in the bag. Its a rough game and while I still won't wear shoulder pads I'll do what I can to protect my head.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
migrator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I usually play goal and have taken a few good shots to the head, (I swear some guys aim for it) The times I have played a skater position I have worn a half shield. I feel like I'm not wearing a helmet at all. I've been lucky to have never taken a shot or a stick to the face during those times.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #11
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 817
Played this morning in over 40 beer league. No mask, visor, mouthguard or shoulder pads. I'm almost always the biggest guy out there and it is my attempt to even up the vulnerability.

The benefits of less gear: freedom of movement; clarity of vision and peripheral vision.ie. l enjoy the game more with less gear...just like l like dirtbiking better with less gear.

I am macho but l have all my teef

FlyingDutchman screwed with this post 11-02-2014 at 11:53 PM
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: