Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #1531
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
you misspelled 'borderline'
Yeah, Dick Lebeau only had about 20 hours of game film to study...he must suck as a defensive coordinator to allow a guy that can't throw to somehow pass for 300 yards to a no-name rookie... You guys crack me up...

Erick Decker wouldn't even make Pittsburgh's team and he's the best Tim has to throw to (and he got injured on the first catch of the game). The only thing they're figuring out is that the league will really be in trouble when Tim gets more comfortable with the passing game and has good receivers. If you thought yesterday the Broncos were painful to watch, you don't really like football. That was a great game with multiple Sports Center highlights.
I'm curious. How many yards would Tom Brady have this year if you didn't count yards after the catch? How about his career? It's a ridiculous argument that his receivers made yards after the catch. The reason the Steelers were in Zero coverage on the final play of the game is that they had to respect the run and left no safety over the top in coverage, so really, Tim was responsible for the yards after the catch. That's the whole idea of play action...run to set up the pass...

That said, I think the story will end for this season this week. I don't see them putting up over 30 points or the Pats scoring less than 30. If the Pats get off to a fast start, it could be ugly. But I actually predict something on the order of Broncos 20, Pats 38...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #1532
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I still don't understand how Tebow was so much more accurate in college. An open reciever and a quarterback with time should net the same results at any level of competition.

The headlines this morning are saying that Tebow beat the Steelers on the first play of overtime. That receiver burned the defense on his route, stiff armed his way to an open field, outran one defender and bought the TD with one more stiff arm for good measure. That play was all no name receiver and a QB who miraculously manage to throw the ball in a way that allowed the receiver to maintain his stride.

On Denver's last possession in regulation Tebow was unhurried and missed a wide open reciever 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. Missed him horribly. I like Tim Tebow as a person, I love his energy and passion for the game, I respect his personal convictions and admire his athleticism. You must be able to pass to thrive in the NFL as a QB though. Tebow is not a passer and it really doesn't have much to do with his funky and slow throwing motion. He routinely misses wide open receivers when he has plenty of time. His days as a starting NFL QB are most assuredly numbered.

Pats 41 Broncos 6
And yet that lousy, innacurate, future bench warmer lit up the league's number 1 defense for 316 yards passing, an NFL playofff record 31.6 yards per pass, 50 additional yards rushing, a rushing TD and a couple of bookend TD passes for good measure.

Next.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #1533
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
And yet that lousy, innacurate, future bench warmer lit up the league's number 1 defense for 316 yards passing, an NFL playofff record 31.6 yards per pass, 50 additional yards rushing, a rushing TD and a couple of bookend TD passes for good measure.

Next.
How many of those yards were yards after the catch? What was his completion rate?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #1534
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,837
Quote:
How many of those yards were yards after the catch? What was his completion rate?

^^^ Yeah that's what the Steelers are telling their wives this morning.

"Honey I'm sorry we won't be getting any more playoff checks, and I'm sorry you and your friends won't get to go to the Super Bowl this year, BUT, most of Tebow's 316 yards were after the catch (except for the early bomb to DT and the long TD pass to Eddie Royal, and the other bomb to DT), and we held him to less than 50% completion rate!!! Did you hear me honey? I know my fat ass will be sitting around the house the next few weeks, BUT, he got most of his yards after the catch. He only went 10 for 22. Honey. Honey?? Hon...."

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #1535
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
^^^ Yeah that's what the Steelers are telling their wives this morning.

"Honey I'm sorry we won't be getting any more playoff checks, and I'm sorry you and your friends won't get to go to the Super Bowl this year, BUT, most of Tebow's 316 yards were after the catch (except for the early bomb to DT and the long TD pass to Eddie Royal, and the other bomb to DT), and we held him to less than 50% completion rate!!! Did you hear me honey? I know my fat ass will be sitting around the house the next few weeks, BUT, he got most of his yards after the catch. He only went 10 for 22. Honey. Honey?? Hon...."
Look, I jumped for joy when that no-name receiver won the game for the Broncos. I am not latched so firmly to Tebow's schlong that I can't give credit where it is due. Tebow gets much of the credit for the Broncos success this year, but to say that he won the game in overtime is a cold slap in the face of that no-name reciever who willed himself a touchdown with his every move.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #1536
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Look, I jumped for joy when that no-name receiver won the game for the Broncos. I am not latched so firmly to Tebow's schlong that I can't give credit where it is due. Tebow gets much of the credit for the Broncos success this year, but to say that he won the game in overtime is a cold slap in the face of that no-name reciever who willed himself a touchdown with his every move.
Horse shit. Nobody is giving Tebow all of the credit. You specifically criticized him and we're pointing out that you're wrong. How many yards would Brady have this year without yards after the catch? Hell, the West Coast offense essentially relies on yards after the catch because they use the short passing game as an adjunct to the running game. The fact that the Steelers went into zero coverage and left no safety was, in fact, because they respected the ability of Tebow and McGahee to run the ball. To say that the threat of the run had nothing to do with the YAC is wrong headed. I'm sure you can't find a quote of Tim taking sole credit for the win. It is no less reasonable to give Tim credit when he gets all of the blame when they lose It comes with being the quarterback.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #1537
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:

Next.
per completion. He attempted 21? That's just an RCH over 15 yards per attempt.

He had a great game. As a Chiefs fan I am ecstatic.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #1538
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,488
Here are a few things to think about. I thought Tebow looked like a real QB last night, besides that one throw into the dirt. Also, New England has the worst defense in the playoffs which may open up a few things for Denver. And, Denver has a pretty good defensive backfield (Who was that #28?! He's a madman!) which will give Tom a few fits. With that in mind, Denver may give Mr. Brady and Co. a little more excitement than they're looking for on Saturday night.

That being said, I'd still bet on NE. I wouldn't give more than three points though.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #1539
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
Horse shit. Nobody is giving Tebow all of the credit. You specifically criticized him and we're pointing out that you're wrong. How many yards would Brady have this year without yards after the catch? Hell, the West Coast offense essentially relies on yards after the catch because they use the short passing game as an adjunct to the running game. The fact that the Steelers went into zero coverage and left no safety was, in fact, because they respected the ability of Tebow and McGahee to run the ball. To say that the threat of the run had nothing to do with the YAC is wrong headed. I'm sure you can't find a quote of Tim taking sole credit for the win. It is no less reasonable to give Tim credit when he gets all of the blame when they lose It comes with being the quarterback.

Where did I criticize him? Quote me.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #1540
spanky OP
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
A good read

"Sportswriters and ballplayers have nothing in common so much as an urge to utter four favorite words: I told you so."

The rest of the article here.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #1541
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Where did I criticize him? Quote me.
1. Within 24 hours of Tebow and the Broncos beating the Steelers and their #1 defense, you assert that he won't be an NFL quarterback for long. Not only criticism, but baseless criticism. I'll call that last paragraph a complisult.

You said that Demarius Thomas deserved credit and if you cared to google or look into the post game comments, you might have found this gem.

Quote:
And he credited his teammates — wideout Demaryius Thomas (204 yards, the game-winning score), presumably first among them — “who make me look a lot better than I really am.”
Link

Thomas got plenty of ink for his part in the win. But, in reality, how much pressure was DT under in that game? Now consider the pressure on Tebow. Color me impressed.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1542
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Congrats, hope you beat the Pats, but that was one beat to hell Steeler team.
Yeah, no else has injuries to key players at this time of year. The Broncos didn't lose a starting O lineman last week and have a hampered potential Defensive Rookie of the year. Just to name two.

Quote:
I still don't understand how Tebow was so much more accurate in college.(1) An open reciever and a quarterback with time should net the same results at any level of competition.

The headlines this morning are saying that Tebow beat the Steelers on the first play of overtime. That receiver burned the defense on his route, stiff armed his way to an open field, outran one defender and bought the TD with one more stiff arm for good measure.(2) That play was all no name receiver and a QB who miraculously manage to throw the ball in a way that allowed the receiver to maintain his stride.

On Denver's last possession in regulation Tebow was unhurried and missed a wide open reciever 15 yards from the line of scrimmage. Missed him horribly. I like Tim Tebow as a person, I love his energy and passion for the game, I respect his personal convictions and admire his athleticism. You must be able to pass to thrive in the NFL as a QB though. Tebow is not a passer and it really doesn't have much to do with his funky and slow throwing motion. He routinely misses wide open receivers when he has plenty of time. His days as a starting NFL QB are most assuredly numbered.

Pats 41 Broncos 6 (3)
1. Take a look at Rodgers, Brees, or Brady... how many of their passes are to receivers that aren't "open"-- quite a few. They can thread needles and can hit really really really short openings. Tim needs a more open receiver, he hit a few barely open guys yesterday- but that hasn't been his MO this year. I welcome commentary from the Florida guys here, but what I remember of Tebow in college is a bunch of really short option passes.---> Tebow runs towards the line, linebacker goes to stop him opening up a receiver 6 yards down field, Tebow shotputs a pass to the now open receiver. Not spectacular passes, but sure worked against College D's.

2. Yes sir, Tebow has done some good things, but the defense and they other players haven't been getting their due. What I think Tebow has done is made the rest of the team believe--- thus upping their game.

3. I think the Pats will win, but it will be much closer. 28-17

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #1543
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
1. Within 24 hours of Tebow and the Broncos beating the Steelers and their #1 defense, you assert that he won't be an NFL quarterback for long. Not only criticism, but baseless criticism. I'll call that last paragraph a complisult.

You said that Demarius Thomas deserved credit and if you cared to google or look into the post game comments, you might have found this gem.

Link

Thomas got plenty of ink for his part in the win. But, in reality, how much pressure was DT under in that game? Now consider the pressure on Tebow. Color me impressed.
I wan't criticizing Tebow. I speculated that he wouldn't be in the league long. What's the average lifespan of QB that connects on less than 50% of his passes? If I said Blaine Gabbert wouldn't be around long, that wouldn't be a criticism it would be an opinion based on historical observation. I like the way you said Tebow and the Broncos. The little bit of media coverage I saw said Tebow beat the Steelers. I acknowledged Tebow for his part in the touchdown. Oddly he hit the reciever right in his hands. It was a great pass. Tebow is a fine young man. I would expect him to share the glory with his teammates. That's but one of the reasons i like him. Pay attention to what I type, not what you think I typed. Are Tebows balls blocking your sight of my post?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #1544
spanky OP
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
I still don't understand how Tebow was so much more accurate in college. An open reciever and a quarterback with time should net the same results at any level of competition.
I think he's still adjusting to the speed of the pro game and there is no doubt that these players develop at a different pace. Heck, you need only look at Mark Sanchez to see that. There was a time when Chuck Noll thought about benching Terry Bradshaw and didn't Brett Favre get traded from the Falcons to GB because they'd lost faith in him? I distinctly recall Elway running for his life most of the '83 season. There's a long list QB's who had a rough start only to blossom later on and then there are others who get to ride the bench for a while and not suffer the growing pains of a rokie like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Quote:
The headlines this morning are saying that Tebow beat the Steelers on the first play of overtime. That receiver burned the defense on his route, stiff armed his way to an open field, outran one defender and bought the TD with one more stiff arm for good measure. That play was all no name receiver and a QB who miraculously manage to throw the ball in a way that allowed the receiver to maintain his stride.
Don't blame TT for what the press prints. There is no doubt that he initially got more praise than he should have but he's more than acknowledged his poor play and heaped accolades on his teammates proclaiming they make him better then he actually is.

Quote:
I remember that play, it was right after he'd gotten smacked in the facemask. Who knows, maybe you'd do the same thing if you had Steeler hit man James Harrison gunning for your nearest breakable appendage.

I consider this to be his true rookie year and Sunday Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez, Jake Locker, and a host of other noob QB's were watching the playoff games and TT in particular. Let's wait a few years and see how things shake out before lodging so much criticism.

Oh, and BTW, "complisult" fits the paragraph above quite well.

Quote:
Pats 41 Broncos 6
Well, I hope not but just as yesterday's game was all on the Steelers to deliver so will this week's game against the Pats.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #1545
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

On a side note. WTF is up with that forward backward pass rule? If I understand it right, if that had been a lateral, it would have been Denver ball, but since he threw it backward as a traditional throw and it was blown dead, the recovery doesn't count? That is totally discombobulated. That needs to be changed before next season. Am I understanding the interpretation of the rule correctly?
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: