Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #136
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well said Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
You are both correct except the generalization really applies to most new riders on too big machines with little or no training (self-training even worse) who define motorcycling as a lifestyle first and foremost rather than a skill.
Well said Mike

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #137
RForestR
In the Woods

Oddometer: 162
Can't say that I have read this all the way through...perhaps enough to get the gist of it.
I suspect she's typical of many new riders...they have a few friends with bikes, check out the magazines or one of the very few bike shows on Speed (which typically cater to cruiser riding...with the exception of racing, clearly not something most can aspire to) and eventually she got "the bug"

It's one thing to dream about your fantasy bike, quite another to go out and get it, and then suddenly realize that it's waaayyy too much for your skill. Happens all the time, as many here have pointed out.

Sure, she probably shoulda started out on a blast, or a sporty, since she clearly had Harley on the brain judging by her circle and her pre-disposition to the brand.

We all wish we could go out and get "what we want" we are after all, a comsumerist, instant-gratification society.

I suspect most riders here (myself included) started out in our pre-teens on dirt bikes on the backroads and other out of the way places so we have the luxury of hindsight when commenting on this new rider. Do folks like her scare the hell out of me? Sure. Both for her sake and the riders around her. I just hope that whatever advice she is getting from her "crew" is sound, and I suspect, as suggested, that her trepidation has helped her get to 15k this year.

I'm a firm believer in "It's not what you ride, it's the fact that you RIDE" and despite shortcomings, this lady is doing just that. Does she need some formal training..of course, but then ALL of us could use more training.

The moment we start believing as riders that we are superior, is the moment that we take for granted our skill. A dangerous proposition for any of us.
RForestR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #138
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
Wtf?

Riding season is in full-swing up in Harley Ryders neck of the Great White North yet her blog shows no activity since June of last year. What has become of our Huge Heroine and her massive chromed-out sidekick, Barbiedoll? Could it be that she had an epiphany & bought something smaller to hone her riding skillz on?

NEWSFLASH!!! This just in from YouTube - Reformed Pirate goes head over heels for Adventure Riding!

WeeBee screwed with this post 05-27-2010 at 10:26 PM
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #139
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,367
ouch...looks like the bike landed right on her face at the end.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #140
JimboX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I don't know, someone with enough self esteem to put their inabilities and difficulties out there on the 'net for all to read is kind of refreshing, compared to all the "kings of the hi-way" that regulary remind the whole world that they are the hottest shoe on the planet since J.S.. While I often enjoy most of the posters on this forum I wonder if this girl was someone we knew (a neighbor, sister, GF, etc) we would still find it necessary to call her a "dumb pirate bitch". I realize she made the horrific mistake of buying a bike that proves to some she's stupid, but, you know what, even though it's next to impossible for some of you to understand, there are people that like, ride, and get a lot of fun from Harley Davidsons. Imagine that. I get so sick of the 'everyone that owns a HD is a "pirate" ass clown jerk off. I've been active on this forum for months and months, and been riding street bikes since 1971 and I still don't know what the fuck a 'pirate' is? I guess it's someone who enjoys motorcycles in a different way then captain fucking safety on a hard panniered euopean step ladder wearing six colors of day glo reflective body armor. Here you have some youg woman enthusiastic enough about the begining of her love affair with motorcycles to put it out there for the world to see, and all we can do is shoot her puppy. Pretty damn fucking benevolent group are'nt we. Dumb pirate bitch asshole. let's hope she rides right under a 18 wheeler and the world will be better off. Another 'pirate' the hell out of the way to make room for the 'real' motorcyclists.
JimboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #141
dr1
Banned

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboX
I don't know, someone with enough self esteem to put their inabilities and difficulties out there on the 'net for all to read is kind of refreshing, compared to all the "kings of the hi-way" that regulary remind the whole world that they are the hottest shoe on the planet since J.S.. While I often enjoy most of the posters on this forum I wonder if this girl was someone we knew (a neighbor, sister, GF, etc) we would still find it necessary to call her a "dumb pirate bitch". I realize she made the horrific mistake of buying a bike that proves to some she's stupid, but, you know what, even though it's next to impossible for some of you to understand, there are people that like, ride, and get a lot of fun from Harley Davidsons. Imagine that. I get so sick of the 'everyone that owns a HD is a "pirate" ass clown jerk off. I've been active on this forum for months and months, and been riding street bikes since 1971 and I still don't know what the fuck a 'pirate' is? I guess it's someone who enjoys motorcycles in a different way then captain fucking safety on a hard panniered euopean step ladder wearing six colors of day glo reflective body armor. Here you have some youg woman enthusiastic enough about the begining of her love affair with motorcycles to put it out there for the world to see, and all we can do is shoot her puppy. Pretty damn fucking benevolent group are'nt we. Dumb pirate bitch asshole. let's hope she rides right under a 18 wheeler and the world will be better off. Another 'pirate' the hell out of the way to make room for the 'real' motorcyclists.
You are my hero.

Seriously I only read the first 3 pages but give her a break. I mean someone found it important enough to transplant this out of an entirely different forum just for the amusement of the obvious wankers over here, so I guess 'give her a break' is probably out of the question.

As someone who just spent the last few months teaching my girlfriend to ride a kz440 (the smallest and lightest bike I could find locally), and yes she also took the MSF course. I'm going to tell you her problems have pretty much nothing todo with the Harley. Not everyone is built with nerves of steel like you hardcore mofo's. My girlfriend is riding awesome now but it took alot of miles for her to get over some of the fear she was having, and to be able to control the bike smoothly.
dr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #142
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
UPDATE: Harleyryder has seemingly dropped out of sight. From daily to weekly posts on the CMC (Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers) forum to none since November. Last heard she left her chapter for another in the same locale within that particular club.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #143
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,534
Her last post was 4-5-10 on CMC - something about riding their bikes to the Keg for dinner. Hope she didn't drink&ride and end up smooshing Barbiedoll.

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #144
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
EPILOGUE: Last Harleyryder post on record late March. Her "Adventures of a Newbie" thread appearing in the CMC forum totally deleted. As per Tom Hagen, "...like she never existed."
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #145
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSilent
It's a lifesytle until it kills you.
As Metallica sang,
"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle!"

On the subject of mocking her. I don't wish her any ill will, but I certainly don't feel guilty about laughing at her (ultimately self-inflicted) problems of having bought a bike that is way in excess of her skill.

When I was young and foolish, I very nearly bought a full power first year Hayabusa as a first bike. I could afford it and arrogantly thought I was already a good enough rider that I could just "take it easy to start with" and that I'd be alright. Thankfully, I showed some restraint and didn't. I'd ride one now without thinking twice about it, but getting one back then would have been suicidal, particularly considering how much I used to thrash when I started riding. Common sense won out in my case and as a result, I'm still here today. If instead, I'd been a ***kwit and bought the 'Busa and then died on my first mile on the thing, I'd be more than happy for people to point and laugh.

Well done to her for having the guts to admit it publicly though, thereby providing us with some entertainment. Hope she learns to ride without carking it and gets used to the bike or comes to her senses and buys something more suited to her abilities.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #146
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboX
Now that I have read the whole thread, I think that you have the wrong idea about what was in the thread. It seemed that most were in agreement that 1. A Harley is too much for a beginner 2. She needs more training 3. with as much club riding and group mets as she claims, she may be in it for the socializing rather than the ride, although in one blog she does say that she rides anywhere, just to ride.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #147
Mugenski
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Sutton and Tims...

Don't tell me this guy is on roads near me! 0.o
Mugenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #148
Moto_Muffin
Motorcycle Muffin

Oddometer: 287
I weep for my gender.

She is why people ask me if I "have trouble holding that big bike up all by [my]self!"

+shakes head+

Small bike to start. Big bike when you're tired of the small bike. Then another small bike when you're tired of the big bike.

(And FFS pay attention in English class...)
Moto_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #149
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Muffin
She is why people ask me if I "have trouble holding that big bike up all by [my]self!"

+shakes head+

Small bike to start. Big bike when you're tired of the small bike. Then another small bike when you're tired of the big bike.

Small bikes don't have riding clubs.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #150
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu
Small bikes don't have riding clubs.

Don't the Shriners in some areas ride mini bikes?
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote