Excellent points!

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #77
AdvRydr
De asini vmbra disceptare

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Would be interesting to hear more women riders' take on this. The few responses thus far seem to giving our Harley Ryder more than just a pass.
Do you seek out male riders' 'takes' every time you see a male squid or pirate wanna-be wobbling through a parking lot?

She's a noob who apparently blogs every passing thought she's ever had. What do you want the rest of us to say about it?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #78
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
... but I'll bet it doesn't mention Dave Hough's book, "Proficient Motorcycling" anywhere. My bet is she didn't do drills in empty parking lots, practicing tight turns, U-turns and fast stops...
Both of his books are excellent IMO as well as the works of Lee Parks and Keith Code.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #79
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
Man, you guys are really tough on fat chicks. I assume that all of you are ripped to shreds, have a full head of hair, good teeth and belong in the pages of GQ, right?

Setting aside the flamefest, I'd be scared to ride anywhere near her. I'm not going to read her entire blog, but I'll bet it doesn't mention Dave Hough's book, "Proficient Motorcycling" anywhere. My bet is she didn't do drills in empty parking lots, practicing tight turns, U-turns and fast stops. But then again, neither do a lot of other people on motorcycles. Proficiency matters to some, not to others. There are plenty of squids on fast bikes who ride just as poorly but haven't written or spoken openly of their travails. I give her credit for trying. Her writing style makes me cringe.

What I don't like is her, or any other unprepared rider, endangering others because they don't know how to ride. I think you have an obligation to learn good skills, to practice, to seek out good riders and learn from them, to read as much as you can on accidents and what caused them, and to develop the confidence to keep safe. What scares me is how many people get on a bike and do none of those things.
Have never called our girl here "fat" and would encourage others to refrain from bringing that characterization into the fray. To answer your inquiry some of us do have good hair, teeth and rips. Consequently, we're not well liked.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #80
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Have never called our girl here "fat" and would encourage others to refrain from bringing that characterization into the fray...
Why? You gotz a euphemism for "fat". Shall we get all "politically correct" here about it now. I mean dude you started this thread. So like where did you expect the discussion to go? To some higher intellectual plane? Shall we get all Harvard about the subject now? Maybe throw a little psychoanalysis into it. Smoke a pipe with cherry tobacco in it maybe, while we ponder in the most gentlemanly of ways.

Look don't be timid about things. You either want to be an asshole or you don't. There's no middle ground. This is ADVrider, not a garden party. Comprende amigo?

LMAO!

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 11-29-2009 at 06:23 PM
Old 11-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #81
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Her physicality has nothing to do with her situation. BTW expect a visit from Immigration.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #82
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...BTW expect a visit from Immigration.
And WTF does that mean?

Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #83
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Sorry, been watching too much Don Rickles on those Dean Martin Roasts. You don't need to pick on the fat girl for being fat. You're better than that. Your 6 pts earlier were about the best comments on this thread.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #84
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, been watching too much Don Rickles on those Dean Martin Roasts. You don't need to pick on the fat girl for being fat. You're better than that. Your 6 pts earlier were about the best comments on this thread.
Explain the Immigration quip. I got Airborne wings and a Ranger tab fuckhead.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #85
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550

Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #86
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Sorry, been watching too much Don Rickles on those Dean Martin Roasts.
I love those roasts! Good thread.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #87
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Her physicality has nothing to do with her situation...
Oh, and BTW, her physicality absolutely does have everything to do with her situation, and might even be the whole problem. Try this for starters Jethro (as in Bodine):

1. Slower reflex time from brain to muscle.
2. Slower reaction time from muscle to action/execution.
3. Less mental confidence from being fat (this actually effects women more than men, since men tend give-a-shit less about being a lard-ass).
4. Typically the more overweight, the weaker the abs and lower back. Which is muy importante for riding as it is the core of the body.

Now contrast that with a rider chick like nicomama. No Harley, works out, no soap-opera in the head, rides dirt and street, rides solo, self-sufficient, etc. Comprende?

Now YFF go tell Immigration to hurry and get over here to deport my ass. Finally, a way to quit paying all these fucking taxes and start smoking Cuban cigars again legally. Don't come to Costa Rica, we have long memories

Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #88
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Cordially invite Nicomama to weigh in on the discussion.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #89
DataDaddy
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,558
Back to topic... this is headed toward the wrong horizon

oh, that's really good -- AceRph, Alcan06
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #90
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
To be fair to Harleyryder she appears to be quite safety conscious from reading her blog. She did the PLP when she began and took the MS course when it was suggested to her after a few weeks riding. She is certainly aware of the risks:

Quote:
As i was wipin' Barbie down i kept thinking about the late nite call I recieved frm my Buddie his nephew was KILLED the nite b4 at 27&Finch ..left hand turn scenario again ..only 37 and a seasoned rider ..and how devasted the family is and will be for a very long time ..Its really weighing me down......

Stephen had no idea how fearful i was when he called me out of nowhere for a shared Ride and it was a "good thing" we went out ..it really helped to 'jar' the fear factor just abit ..Jimmy I wish You a Speedy Warrior's Journey To The Other Side
I think people here are underestimating HR because of the way she plays up her uncertainties. There is a certain self-satirization going on here I think.
haithabu is offline   Reply With Quote