User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #121
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
So has she broken 5k yet?

(I don't have the patience to read through all her writings.)

::EDIT:: Saw TrophyMike's post on page 3(?) where she talked about reaching 10k. By that point one would think anyone would be competent with a vehicle. Lord, I only have 20k on my car in 3 years, and something between 5 and 6k on my bike. And at least with the car, I am more than comfortable if I find myself sliding sideways in a snowstorm. I suppose I'm resonably competent on the bike, though I'd still like to get at least one trackday down. Trackdays really helped with my ability to drive a car. If nothing else it gave me the sense of how fast things go from me grinning to not having time to say OH S***!!!

Home is where the skid lid sits.

xcgates screwed with this post 12-02-2009 at 05:05 PM
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #122
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
i think she has 15000kms on the bike now and she is still gripping the bars like they are snickers and someone is trying to steal them. but she has managed right and left turns but she still has to write herself a mental essay to get through it all.
i dont know if she is kidding or exagerating but if it is half true she should hang up her helmet and get back her bingo dobbers.

2000 valkyrie interstate
roadhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #123
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr
i think she has 15000kms on the bike now and she is still gripping the bars like they are snickers and someone is trying to steal them. but she has managed right and left turns but she still has to write herself a mental essay to get through it all.
i dont know if she is kidding or exagerating but if it is half true she should hang up her helmet and get back her bingo dobbers.
Nah. I'm thinking she just needs more qualified instruction and practice drills on a closed course while working her way GRADUALLY to a big bike with awkward handling...300lb motard to 400lb standard to 500lb cruiser and so on.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #124
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
Nah. I'm thinking she just needs more qualified instruction and practice drills on a closed course while working her way GRADUALLY to a big bike with awkward handling...300lb motard to 400lb standard to 500lb cruiser and so on.
Good idea... does harley offer a motard or standard? doubt she'd be seen on a jap bike. Over 'n Out, it's me Suzuki Rider
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #125
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf
Good idea... does harley offer a motard or standard? doubt she'd be seen on a jap bike. Over 'n Out, it's me Suzuki Rider
She does not seem to be bright enough to want a bike that actually goes, stops & turns well... Not saying she is stupid, Just ignorant.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #126
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

also she is limited to what she can look at because she is vertically challenged by the looks of it as well as being as round as she is tall. i am not saying she is fat but..... ok i am saying she is fat because she is fat and short. so physically she has a number fo strikes against her. everything gets harder to do as we age and when we fall out of reasonable physical condition it is even harder.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #127
ADVChic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Input from female rider . . .

Okay - FWIW - IMHO Harley's are not a beginners bike.

She needs to ride a bike that has a low center of gravity and a shorter wheelbase so she can learn to properly lean the bike and counter-steer.

I also got bored reading the first post - so I don't know what size she is but I would recommend looking for either a Buell Blast or Lighting depending upon her leg length. She can learn to ride either of these bikes properly (leaning, counter-steering, etc.) and then progress to the bike that she wants.

I have known so many women riders that have started on Harley's and developed bad habits, mostly not leaning in the turns and trying to 'steer' the bike like a car. This almost ALWAYS results in a wreck on a curve. I have been riding 3-years and have put down 10k miles. I have ridden Sportsters, Dyna Street Glide, V-Rods, etc. on Harley demo's and would not recommend trying to learn to ride on one.

Just my two cents from my personal experience.

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)

ADVChic screwed with this post 12-05-2009 at 08:50 AM
ADVChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #128
ADVChic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
The part where she's talking about "trusting the bike" is interesting. On one hand, you do need to learn to trust the bike's ability to maintain traction, but on the other hand I find that kind of disturbing because it's like she's ceding control of the vehicle to the vehicle itself rather than trying to be "one with the machine."
Isn't that all Harley Riders? I don't like to generalize, but most - not all - Harley riders ride their bikes like they drive a car. They steer instead of lean and counter-steer. They go left of center when possible on curves and for good measure brake in the apex. They do the inside / outside technique completely backwards.

We live close to some great twisties and I HATE getting behind them!

08 DL650 V-Strom | 04 R1200C Montauk & 09 K1200LT (husband's) | 05 XB12S Lightning (sold)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #129
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

i dont think you can generalize and say all harley riders do that. i have been on demo rides with guys who have owned nothing but and been impressed with their skills. i was at a bike rodeo last year had a blast and saw some very good riding skills displayed. one guy in particular on a dresser was an excellent rider especially at slow speeds. i ran demos at the dealership i worked at and i have seen plenty of japanese bike riders who dont know how to ride either. they took courses and passed and imho had no real riding skills at all. showed fear and intimidation and steered through corners like a car. there are alot more poor riders out there than you can imagine and they ride all kinds of bikes so it isnt fair to generalize like that.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #130
ADVChic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhamr
i dont think you can generalize and say all harley riders do that.
I'm with you, and I called out and qualified my generalization.

My husband and I ride with a guy that rides a fully dressed out Harley Electra Glide like its a sport bike. We love riding with him, and we have seen other good Harley riders on the roads. What I am saying is as a brand-group of riders, in my personal experience at least 80% tend to ride with potentially dangerous bad habits. It's no different than saying 80% or more of BMW riders wear full gear.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #131
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 793
You are both correct except the generalization really applies to most new riders on too big machines with little or no training (self-training even worse) who define motorcycling as a lifestyle first and foremost rather than a skill.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #132
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
You are both correct except the generalization really applies to most new riders on too big machines with little or no training (self-training even worse) who define motorcycling as a lifestyle first and foremost rather than a skill.
Whaddya mean self training even worse? I learned from riding dirt bikes at the school of hard knocks and the skills I picked up from all those years translated to the street like it was nobody's business.
I doubt any formal training would elevate a rider to the kind of level that can only be acquired from riding offroad... unless of course track days are thrown into the mix.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #133
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Again was referring to most self-trained street riders with very little or no experience starting out on full-sized machines. Had these types in my experienced-rider MSF classes and a good number could not perform maneuvers even from the basic course. Dirt riders, especially those who started out young, were an exception and most often ahead of the curve.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Old 12-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #134
roadhamr
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Again was referring to most self-trained street riders with very little or no experience starting out on full-sized machines. Had these types in my experienced-rider MSF classes and a good number could not perform maneuvers even from the basic course. Dirt riders, especially those who started out young, were an exception and most often ahead of the curve.
i was self taught on the street with a kz1000 as the first bike i ever owned. after i crashed it and it was wriitten off i got a kz 750l3 which was a much better bike. i had 2 kz650's after that and then a triumph bonieville and a tiger. i moved on to 3 different zx7's a gsxr750, a zx9, and then i started to ride cruisers and had demo bikes from the dealerships i worked at and stopped crashing. i was definitly self taught and i have some but not much really intense off road riding. i have spent years examining my riding techniques and trying to do better watching others and reading books talking to other very experienced riders. my biggest advantage over harleyryder is when i started i was young strong and very athletic. i could compensate what i lacked in skill most times with my athleticism. she is not in that point in her life. her confidence will never grow because she will never be able to be in control. the bike is simply too much for her.

2000 valkyrie interstate
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #135
Trophy Mike OP
w/extreme prejudice

Think VFR_firefly hit it
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Her lack of confidence is probably the only thing keeping her alive. From the look of things she is only a occasional rider who doesn't ride very far, fast or often.

Give her a little confidence and that will change. It's only a matter of time before she makes a wet spot on that too-large, too-heavy, under-performing, chrome-plated turd. With confidence the time between now and that day will only be shortened.