Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Yeah it folds up and is compact, I get that benefit as some need truly that.
This the only way I could own a trailer.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #17
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
This the only way I could own a trailer.
I could use the same thing (single car garage and would like my trailer out of the elements), but not at that price is all.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
I could use the same thing (single car garage and would like my trailer out of the elements), but not at that price is all.
Outside isn't a option for me. So, folding trailer or nothing.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Is there another trailer that tracks or rides as well as the Kendon?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003
I have the new model as well.

One bike works well, carries two GS's if they are tilted out slightly.

Just added a tongue jack. We welded a 2" square tube to the trailer where the center tubes bend down. To the top of the square tube welded a 1/4" plate with 2" hole. Bolt mounted a crank up and down jack, with a removable wheel. Jack is in behind the air dam, stays clean, easy to operate standing next to the trailer, now allows unhooking the trailer without unloading the bikes, and less of a pain to move when empty.
I looked at tongue jacks also but found out I did not need one. I can take the trailer off/on the ball by myself even with a Goldwing. I bought the factory "folding leg" but do not use it anymore.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Thumb

20K+ on mine. Still solid and reliable as it was on day one. Worth every penny.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
mdsn969 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003
Just added a tongue jack. We welded a 2" square tube to the trailer where the center tubes bend down. To the top of the square tube welded a 1/4" plate with 2" hole. Bolt mounted a crank up and down jack, with a removable wheel. Jack is in behind the air dam, stays clean, easy to operate standing next to the trailer, now allows unhooking the trailer without unloading the bikes, and less of a pain to move when empty.
Can you post a couple of pics of the jack arrangement??? No sense in reinventing the wheel when I can copy someone else's IP.

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King

mdsn969 screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 01:02 PM
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #23
mdsn969 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are they seriously $2400? My $600 utility trailer is nothing to brag about and has it's own set of issues I plan to fix (wiring, LEDs, better deck), but for a 5x8 utility trailer it has several uses and has hauled dual sports, an FJR, trail 70, truck axles, dump trips...you get the idea. I don;t get the concept of something that has only one use that is that spendy. Yeah it folds up and is compact, I get that benefit as some need truly that.
The difference is that it would be difficult to get two baggers on your trailer and I can get them on the Kendon. The Kendon weights less than 400lbs. It folds up and is out of the way. Apples and oranges...

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #24
mdsn969 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas
I looked at tongue jacks also but found out I did not need one. I can take the trailer off/on the ball by myself even with a Goldwing. I bought the factory "folding leg" but do not use it anymore.
Yeah I got rid of the folding leg as well. It is actually more trouble than it is worth...

I am still going to add a weld-on jack. Bulldog has a very nice compact jack with a foot (not a wheel) that looks like it will fold out of the way.

I will have to buy one and see (Farm and Fleet is your friend)

Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #25
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I'm trying to decide between the Dual and the Combo model. Most of my trailering would be one bike only, so if I bought the Dual I'd be wanting to put a third rail on straight away. The Combo comes with three rails. Any thoughts out there about this?
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #26
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
In my experience, you can transport one bike in either rail and not affect the ride. You don't need a center rail unless you have a third bike.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxdog
I'm trying to decide between the Dual and the Combo model. Most of my trailering would be one bike only, so if I bought the Dual I'd be wanting to put a third rail on straight away. The Combo comes with three rails. Any thoughts out there about this?
You do not need the third center rail to haul a single bike on the dual. I hauled my Wing on either side all over the West. I would setup base camp in a National Park and ride out of there. It rode level and steady. I eventually got the center rail just................because it looked safer and less dirt on the bike! But I never experienced any handling or scary moments....even with a 1800 on the side.

The third rail on the dual does not give you the capabality to haul three bikes.......certainly not 3 KLRs! If you are never going to haul two big bikes then the Combo should work fine. But even the optional Combo axle at 1500lbs would not work for me.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #28
Mickey O
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Kind of new here (been reading for years). I ran across this thread while trying to find some information about the Kendon trailer. I've been watching craig's list for Kendon for a while and one finally came up. Anyhow I found this thread most helpful, thanks. I found some more information that may be helpful to some, it might even explain some of the QC issues with the thread starters trailer:

Quote:
In the past, the company had decided to be the low-price leader in the industry, not raising prices for six years, he says. Some products were losing money. A second error, he says, was moving manufacturing to China in 2007, which created quality problems. In addition, the company work culture was slow paced.

•Brought manufacturing back to the U.S. in 2009, stressing "made in the USA" in marketing. That added about $200 to the price.

Link to entire article :
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...n-company.html
Hopefully their newer trailer are better quality. I passed on the one I found because I think it was a Chinese imported one but I'll keep looking or eventually break down and buy a new one.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #29
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

The WR guy had a tough night and really needed a ride back so we squeezed him in. So the third rail is not a real option for three bikes.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #30
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms969 View Post

- The welding on the trailer is barely passable, so far I have fixed a number of burn throughs.

- The powder coating started immediately flaking off. The welds were not cleaned up and rust on the metal was not cleaned-up. The powder was applied over the the top of these contaminates.
so true!

the welding and paint job was sloppy.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote