User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
angtlalaska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Kendon Dual Trailer Review

I have a 2006 Kendon dual trailer with the optional center rail. I agree with many of the comments on poor quality and tie downs located in poor locations. I purchased the trailer used in January of 2010 from a lady who rarely used it. She couldn't get her GW on or off without several people helping. The ramp was too narrow to see with all of the plastic on the bike. I used it to trailer a BMW F650GS twin from Phoenix to Anchorage Alaska. By the time I got to Anchorage there was virtually no paint/powder coating on the bottom of the trailer or any leading edge. The chrome was gone from the spare and I had to replace the tire as the rubber was almost worn through. 1000 miles of gravel is a killer. I had a local shop weld a plate with a nut in three locations on the swing up platform. Now when traveling I bolt the spare on the top of the platform. I haul a GW, a 1200GS and 650GS. I can't haul three as the GS's both have boxes but I can haul my GW and 1200GS side by side only because they are different lengths. When I am hauling only one I use the center rail although my brother hauled his GW 3,000 miles in a side rail so he could see out the rear view mirror. I needed the ability to store vertical outside and purchased the full cover. Worked perfectly. I added about six new tie downs but do agree that for the money the ones on the trailer deck should fold. I agree the ramp needs to be redesigned for the bigger GW - wider with a big lip possibly. I have no issue loading unloading my 1200GS by myself but the GS takes someone else to watch – love that electric reverse but I need to power it on the trailer. While the low height is great either design a new location for the trailer spare tire or raise the trailer up a few inches. The trailer works well on the slab but off road on the dirt it’s too close to the ground. I also purchased the gravel guard and found the trailer was very difficult to lift and the full cover no longer worked. I think the gravel guard could be half the height and still work well as the trailer is very close to the vehicle. The bottom edge of the gravel guard needs to be rounded over as its difficult to lift the trailer with the narrow sharp edge. This picture was taken before I left for Alaska and does not show the spare mounted in the top of the rear platform.

Changes I would like to see are coating options for the bottom of the trailer, tuff coat, rhino liner or similar. Folding tie downs on the deck, wider ramp with lips and a better way to store the spare.

angtlalaska screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 12:11 PM
angtlalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #32
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Kendon's

I have to agree with most all the posters ( owners) here, pretty good trailer, it pulls well empty or full, the spare tire is best left off and carried in the tow vehicle. Welds are OK on mine, I needed to replace the ramp ( heavy and small). If you chock the main wheels, it is OK to stand up but it would be tough to do it freewheeling. If you add loop straps, it is easy to tie things down. It tows great but I needed to put a hitch extension on to keep from denting the back of my car ( jackknife) when backing and it makes backing up much easier. The trailer tongue is pretty short to stand up so the extension or a longer hitch really helps.

What really works for me is you have great access to the bikes putting them on the trailer as it is low, it tows great with the 15" wheels and it folds up out of the way when you do not need it.

I asked Kendon about a second or dent & scratch, demo /show model and got a discount on what I suspect was a new unit. You might ask them and see what happens, saved a few hundred dollars at the time.

YMMV but it has been a good unit for me.

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

Oddometer: 1,554
does anyone have the 2010 combo trailer? It is rated for 1800 LBS vs the 2009 model rated for 1500 LBS also this unit has the out side rails out farther giving more room for the center rail. anyone with feed back?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #34
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 198
IMO the only reason to get a Kendon is because it folds up and stores vertical.

If you have space for a normal trailer, any utility trailer will work for two heavy bikes. It is nice that Kendon's come with large tires, but they are not essential.

$200 for this trailer. Karavan makes GREAT snowmobile trailers, they work great for motorcycles as well if you install a chock ($50 for a nice low profile Pit-Bull chock). If you are loading only one bike you don't even need a ramp because it tilts, just gotta be a bit careful when loading. This trailer is more than 10 years old, original deck, zero rust, all lights work. Just a well made piece of equipment.

lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

yeah thats my issue I live in NYC space is an issue
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #36
mdsn969 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,215
Thumb Update to my Kendon Dual Trailer review

Fellow Inmates I have an update to my Kendon trailer review.

I spoke in depth with the new President of Kendon Industries. Many
of the issues discussed in my review have been addressed by Kendon; the welding and powder coat issues have been resolved, they have a very nice new jack, an led lighting solution, and new radial tires.

My biggest issues were the welding, powder coating, and lack of support. It
looks like all of this (and much more) has been fixed.

Cudos to Kendon and the new management team for recognizing the problems and taking aggressive steps to fix them.

jms

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #37
jcwalsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Ramp

I would still like to see a picture of the ramp you are using. The PO of my Kendon bolted 30" wide 5/8 plywood to the back of the stock ramp with rubberized anti-slip glued on. At least I can keep my feet on something when I drive up the ramp. On the negative side the ramp is now a PITA to transport.

I love my Kendon and would recommend it to anyone.
2009 BMW GSA
jcwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
ADV NY
unsportsmanlikeTAGER

I picked the the new dirt bike trailer, I will be trailering up and back NYC to Canada in two weeks so I will give report back. two things I am not happy about is it does not come with the kick stand, and they still mount the spare on the bottom of the trailer. before I rolled away with it I had it removed.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #39
chrishsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I bought a '04 dual-bike model 2 years ago for $1400 off Craigslist. It was in excellent condition. As many have mentioned, the stock ramp was a problem for me. I later bought a central rail for trailering single bike and a 3-piece Black WIdow ramp so I can ride the bike(s) on it. Here is the ramp http://www.discountramps.com/black-widow-motorcycle-ramp.htm
04 DR650SE
chrishsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
StreetGlide07
n00b

Oddometer: 2
MPG Loss?

Thinking of getting a Kendon trailer. I Currently have a enclosed trailer thats just to heavy for the new colorado truck just got. I know i lost about 9 miles to the gallon hauling the trailer i have now with a Chevy full size v8. Just curious how much people lost MPG with the Kendons? Also thinking about going to the 2 rail trailer but most of the time be just one bike nice to have the ability to haul 2. Unfortunally i got a lead foot and lookin at speeds 80 mph plus down interstate any problems with the trailer fish tailing or jumping.
Any problems with the paint getting chipped without the stone guard option in the front?
StreetGlide07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #41
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlide07 View Post
Thinking of getting a Kendon trailer. I Currently have a enclosed trailer thats just to heavy for the new colorado truck just got. I know i lost about 9 miles to the gallon hauling the trailer i have now with a Chevy full size v8. Just curious how much people lost MPG with the Kendons? Also thinking about going to the 2 rail trailer but most of the time be just one bike nice to have the ability to haul 2. Unfortunally i got a lead foot and lookin at speeds 80 mph plus down interstate any problems with the trailer fish tailing or jumping.
Any problems with the paint getting chipped without the stone guard option in the front?

i pull my kendon w/ 2 bikes with a chevy silverado 5.3 motor. i don't even feel i was towing it. mpg about the same.

california highway allows 55 mph for towing trailer. sometimes i do 65, sorry i can't help you as far as its behaviour at 80.

i never worry about the paint chipping off since my kendon is deteriorating from inside due to poor weld quality and bad metal prep prior to painting.....

btw, my kendon is not made in china.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #42
KendonGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post

i never worry about the paint chipping off since my kendon is deteriorating from inside due to poor weld quality and bad metal prep prior to painting.....

btw, my kendon is not made in china.
h8chains, PM me with your contact info and we'll see what we can do to get you fixed up.
KendonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #43
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlide07 View Post
I tow with a Chevy 5.3 too. I don't really feel the trailer back there. I am sure I have had it up to 80 and did not detect any change or stability issues. I put mud guards on my truck rear wheels not so much to protect the trailer but to protect the bike on the outside rails but it helps with the trailer too.

Most of the time I run about 65 with a loss of about 2 mpg. Of course it depends on your speed, the wind and of course if you have one or two bikes on the trailor. After meeting up with my wife one time, I towed my VFR on the optional center rail and experienced just about the same mileage as normal without a tow.

The center rail is not needed but I put it on and feel more comfortable, get better mpg and there is less crap/flotsam on the bike. At first I went with a Baxley center rail but decided to just use the optional OEM rail.

You can see the mud on the trailer after this crazy dirt road trip (Goldwing on the left side rail and MTB on the right). I slapped on some truck mudflaps when I got back and that took care of 95% of the problem.

BTW I do not recommend this trailer for off/dirt road work. The last time I did it I took two KLRs out to the sand and setup a base camp in a remote area. Just not enough ground clearance with the Kendon to make a habit of doing this.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #44
StreetGlide07
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I agree i would want to add the center rail just to be on the safe side if just one bike. Im looking to haul two Harley Full Dressers about a 2600 mile round trip. We have rode out to Sturgis enough from Ohio getting to old need to stay out of that hot sun all day long. I should be good with the weight on the trailer just hope it wont Bogg down the Chevy Colorado Z71 down to much.
StreetGlide07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 AM   #45
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
I have a 3 rail shoreliner that can hold 1500 lbs and it cost $999. Bad part it does not fold up but I can store it in my driveway. Bigger bikes are harder to load due to the narrow rail ramp. I want o build a custom trailer from a standard flatbed eventually so I can ride the bike up or powerwalk it up.

mike1952 screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 03:03 PM
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote