Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829
Long distance trials looks like a good time, have you ever tried it?
I'm a hopeless addict of them. There's always a 'never again' moment at about 3 a.m. but this tends to get forgotten when the entry forms for the next event come out.

The overnight ones referred to in the link are technically quite straightforward but due to the endurance factor (weather, time, distance) and scoring system it's quite easy to turn an award winning ride into a 'nice day/night out'.

Great thing about them is you can use just about any bike with some off-tarmac capability - see the entry list for the Edinburgh Trial I just did.

There's also lots of more technically challenging long distance trials with entries full of small dual-sports - link to the site of an active LDT club.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #17
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,360
Great coffee table books of world round Photos

http://www.phototrial.it/

OK so shoot me, he is a friend.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
2Ply
n00b - LOL

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1
Finding this section on ADV got me looking back through the library to see some of the "oldies but goodies" that are buried from way back.

The first book I came across was this. The "must have" for all 1970's trials riders.

This edition is a 1974 print and whilst all the photos depict Sammy Miller demonstrating techniques on his Bultaco the preface page has a Bultaco team photo with the note. "Runners change with the years. Sam was with Bultaco to the close of 1973. In April 1974 he was retained by Honda Europe to expand their trials side by developing machines and managing their trials team."

I have that book! In fact, I have an autographed version with his signature on the cover. I bought it WAY back in 1974 when I was just thinking about Trials and just after giving up on Surfing. I got tired of "Weather Related Sports" and a lot of wasted time waiting for the weather to change... YUK!
2Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
2Ply
n00b - LOL

[quote=Honda-50]Some of these have been mentioned, but maybe not depicted. I also have Four Stroke Finale....

Cool, I have the Carl Shipman one and the Bernie book.. My Bernie Book is in pretty bad shape. I really liked the photo on the back of the Shipman Book with the rider on the Bultaco riding on the side of the rock.. then in 1982, Bud Cole moved to Washington State a few miles from me and I had the good fortune of meeting and riding with him and his Son David, but only for a year before they moved back to the Southwest.

There is another book by Lane Leavitt and Len Weed that I have.. don't remember the name right now but I saw it the other day..

I also have another book by Carl Shipman called "The Boonie Book" Cool book too. Though it's about just dirt riding, it uses a lot of Trials Photos for examples...

Anyone remember the Infalable one kick start proceedure from the Boonie Book?

Oh COOL.. I just realized I saved a scan of Bud's photo from the back of the book...

2Ply screwed with this post 11-16-2010 at 05:25 PM
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,757
LOVE the photo of Bud Cole! I remember seeing that one in the back of the Carl Shipman Trials book. One of the founding fathers of NMTA. Thanks for posting that one!!

I've seen the Carl Shipman Trials book, but never heard of the "Boonie Book". Very cool! Looks like it may have pics of many of the old trails in the Jemez maybe? Would love to find that book sometime.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #21
2Ply
n00b - LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
LOVE the photo of Bud Cole! I remember seeing that one in the back of the Carl Shipman Trials book. One of the founding fathers of NMTA. Thanks for posting that one!!

I've seen the Carl Shipman Trials book, but never heard of the "Boonie Book". Very cool! Looks like it may have pics of many of the old trails in the Jemez maybe? Would love to find that book sometime.
Glad you liked Bud's photo.. even before I met him, that one stood out to me when I was still on my 74 Honda XL350. Only kept it for a year and then dumped it for a TL250 When I met bud, he was doing some trick Electronic stuff to a Honda TL250 and I was moving up to an 82 SWM 240
Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
2Ply
n00b - LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj

http://www.phototrial.it/

OK so shoot me, he is a friend.
No problem, I have 2 of his books too and managed to get him to autograph them at the 2005 World Round at Duluth... Great Guy
Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Ply
Glad you liked Bud's photo.. even before I met him, that one stood out to me when I was still on my 74 Honda XL350. Only kept it for a year and then dumped it for a TL250 When I met bud, he was doing some trick Electronic stuff to a Honda TL250 and I was moving up to an 82 SWM 240
Are you in NM? Member of NMTA?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #24
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,411
So does anybody know...

...if Carl Shipman is still around? When I Google him I get an English skateboarder and a trail in the Jemez that bears the name.
ridenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenm
...if Carl Shipman is still around? When I Google him I get an English skateboarder and a trail in the Jemez that bears the name.
I know the trail in Jemez that bears his name. It was in rough shape this summer!

Couple of pics:

Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #26
K1W1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
I have the Boonie Book as well. As mentioned it's oriented towards general trail riding but it does used trials techniques for a lot of the basic skills.

Shipman also wrote a couple of other motorcycle books in a similar vien. One was MX oriented and heavily featured his son and I think Jim Pomeroy on Bultaco Pursangs. Another was related to tuning two strokes. On top of that he has also written extensively on photography (I think I have one of those somewhere) and he was one of the fist people to write how to use PC books aimed at the home user.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 AM   #27
K1W1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
I have the Boonie Book as well. As mentioned it's oriented towards general trail riding but it does use trials techniques for a lot of the basic skills.

Shipman also wrote a couple of other motorcycle books in a similar vien. One was MX oriented and heavily featured his son and I think Jim Pomeroy on Bultaco Pursangs. Another was related to tuning two strokes. On top of that he has also written extensively on photography (I think I have one of those somewhere) and he was one of the fist people to write how to use PC books aimed at the home user.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #28
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
The Sammy Miller Motorcycle Legend book from the series by Mick Walker contains about 3/4's of the book based on his trials career. The other part is dedicated to the Maestro's road racing and GP career. All of the books in the Walker series are very good value for the money (Surtees, Hailwood, Agostini, Duke, McIntyre, Ivy, Miller, so far).
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #29
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda-50
I also have Four Stroke Finale....
Same here.
With Toni Bou's 4 World Championships however it might have to be updated!

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
2Ply
n00b - LOL

Quote:
Are you in NM? Member of NMTA?
No, I live near Seattle but I've traveled all over for Trials Events and for one year, Bud and David lived about 5 miles from me in Kent, WA

I used to help Dale Malasek and Ian Smith video tape the USA world rounds... If you have any of the Duluth World Round DVDs by TrialsTV.com, you've seen some of my work. I was there behind the camera when Jordi Tarres won his very first World Round event in Mt Vernon, WA 1986 and I was there behind the camera again when Adam Raga won his first World Round event in Goldendale, WA 2001. I am very rarely in FRONT of the camera..

I'm part of the PNTA group and the PST local club but mostly spend my time now reviving primitive trails and helping new people get the hang of riding Trials... That's why I have three Bikes..

2Ply screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 09:59 AM