ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
nmtrialsguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thumb Plate a dirt bike in NM?

Wanting to know from any NM resident whether trying to plate a dirt bike is possible? Thinking about a KTM, not sure what the MSO will say...anybody with specific experience on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Rhinorear
Member Team Tarded

Oddometer: 248
With out any particulars on your situation I'm going to say it should be fairly painless.

Plated an 06 525 EXC in 06 with out a hitch. I think I even plated a CT110 after that.

'09 Husky SM610
'08 Buell 1125R
'06 KTM 525 EXC EL TRACTOR
'94 BMW R100GS PD
'80 CT110
'72 GT380
Yamaha R1 350
ET AL

RIFF RAffer

l
Rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
nmtrialsguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Specifics

Brand new bike with MSO, any recent experiences most relevant. Don't want to get any dealer in trouble, just looking to add optional road riding to what is not a road bike. I would add necessary farkles to make it "legal."
Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Andrewmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
Brand new bike with MSO, any recent experiences most relevant. Don't want to get any dealer in trouble, just looking to add optional road riding to what is not a road bike. I would add necessary farkles to make it "legal."
Sicass racing has a street-legal kit for KTM that can pass most DMV inspections. The MSO says nothing about the bike being for off-road use only.

http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...hting_kits/ktm

The Motorcycle Shop
907-561-1165
Andrewmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
WileyCoyote
Anasazi

Oddometer: 12
Be Really Careful

New Mexico has become much more unfriendly toward plating dirt bikes recently.

My take at the moment is that if you have an MSO and it or the bike is not labeled for specialty use like competition and so forth, you may have a chance if the bike has the right equipment. The equipment list can be found at the NM MVD website.

However, if you have a title and it is OH only, the bike is forever "branded" as off road and you cannot get a plate.

There is a service in Albuquerque I recall is called High Desert Title. I would check with them and see what they say.

If you go to the MVD and you do not like what they say, walk away.

Hope this helps,

If you have ever wondered if you can handle an open class bike, buy a CR500 and all doubt will be removed.
WileyCoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
nmtrialsguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Thanks Wiley!

I have heard that the contracted MVD services may be easier/more lenient and I have run into that title situation before on a different bike (once offroad, always offroad).

Having a legal plate helps, I do not plan to ride much on the street, just want to do it legally and will have the bike insured anyway. Where I live it may not even matter due to very sparse policing, but elsewhere it might be useful just to get from A to B, where I usually avoid slab as much as possible. Thanks, I will check with HDTitle when the time comes.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
If the title says off hiway, High Desert will not do it. They got called out by the MVD and told to cease doing so a few years back. Always a chance you get someone who did not notice the restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
I have heard that the contracted MVD services may be easier/more lenient and I have run into that title situation before on a different bike (once offroad, always offroad).

Having a legal plate helps, I do not plan to ride much on the street, just want to do it legally and will have the bike insured anyway. Where I live it may not even matter due to very sparse policing, but elsewhere it might be useful just to get from A to B, where I usually avoid slab as much as possible. Thanks, I will check with HDTitle when the time comes.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,274
PM sent, Brian....

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
WileyCoyote
Anasazi

Oddometer: 12
Plan B

I have the "branding" problem with an XR650R I bought that has a NM OH title. Since I live very close to Texas, I am considering having it titled and plated in Texas. Texas seems very easy and straightforward in this matter.

My question is whether or not I must find a Texas resident to help me or might I be able to register it in my name so long as I have a legitimate Texas address.

I have heard of foreign citizens such as Canadians buying and registering cars in the US when they visit here. If it works for them, why not me?

Anyone know why I cannot have it registered in my name in Texas?

If you have ever wondered if you can handle an open class bike, buy a CR500 and all doubt will be removed.
WileyCoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #10
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

Oddometer: 64
Just went through it

I just went through the same thing my friend. I searched threads and spoke to a few local dealers who said that it can't be done any longer. I decided to take my chances and purchased a 2014 KTM 500 XC-W. I put the Sicass kit on it along with mirrors. I went to my local MVD with my MSO in hand and also had the bike in the trailer (trailer req'd plates too). My MSO did not specify for off road use only. The MVD clerk did not question it until she saw the dealer's receipt that said "dirt bike" in the comments field. She asked if it had lights, signals, and an odometer. I said "yes" and told her to take a look because I had it in the trailer. She went out to do the VIN inspection on my trailer and also took a quick peek at the bike. She went back inside and processed my registration for both vehicles and voila, I have my plates.

I heard about High Desert and few other places but figured I'd take my chances at the MVD and walk away if I didn't like their answer.

For a little more background, check out my post #7 onward. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997975

I hope this helps.
New Mexico Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #11
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Boondocker View Post
I just went through the same thing my friend. I searched threads and spoke to a few local dealers who said that it can't be done any longer. I decided to take my chances and purchased a 2014 KTM 500 XC-W. I put the Sicass kit on it along with mirrors. I went to my local MVD with my MSO in hand and also had the bike in the trailer (trailer req'd plates too). My MSO did not specify for off road use only. The MVD clerk did not question it until she saw the dealer's receipt that said "dirt bike" in the comments field. She asked if it had lights, signals, and an odometer. I said "yes" and told her to take a look because I had it in the trailer. She went out to do the VIN inspection on my trailer and also took a quick peek at the bike. She went back inside and processed my registration for both vehicles and voila, I have my plates.
This is the key to your success. I'm sure the dealers you talked to were referring to MSO's or titles that do say "off-highway".

Congrats on getting your bike plated!!
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #12
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
This is the key to your success. I'm sure the dealers you talked to were referring to MSO's or titles that do say "off-highway".

Congrats on getting your bike plated!!
Thanks! Yes sir, I'm sure you are correct regarding the comment about the MSOs. Perhaps KTM changed their MSO's for 2015. I looked at my MSO before I decided to purchase.
New Mexico Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #13
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,571
Congrads on getting it plated. Now check your NADA sticker on the head tube.
If is says for competition use only, then you truly dodged a bullet. So when it is time to renew your registration "Do Not" register online. And I would probably walk into an MVD express when it is time to renew. They will eventually check when you renew.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #14
Drtbkdav
Now Happy again!

Oddometer: 37
only way I know of.

I went down to one of contractors and she saw my MSO said "off road use only" so she told me it was impossible to get my KTM street legal in NM no matter how much money I spent on it.

So, I went up to Colorado and had my Dad put his name and address on the title. Then I got it registered in Colorado. I brought it down to NM and rode it for a year.
After that I took it back to the same place but now I had a street legal title from Colorado so it was no problem and no questions asked. Only a vin inspection. I made sure I still had all the necessary stuff on the bike.

While waiting for the lady to print my title, some other guy came up to the counter and said that he wanted to get a street legal plate for his moped he bought at pep boys. His title clearly said "off highway" on it. The lady pointed this out and he says " yes but I want to ride it on the street" she said. "OK" and proceeded to give him his plate! I had to wait a year and he gets it in 10 minutes!
Typical!

Find someone in Colorado, Texas, or Arizona and get them to help.