ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
2015 ride plans

So, I did not have a great 2014 MC/DS year other than communting, so I making a pact with myself and my thumper to get out more this year.
Two years ago I did the dino run and it was amazing and it wet my whistle for longer backcountry riding on MC. I have done many BC rides on my mtn bike like the GDR and want to do the same on my MC, so I am looking at doing one of them this year and looking for advice. I have found the following trails, the COBDR and GDR and am trying to decide which would be a good choice for a medium level rider on a KLR with camping gear for the CO sections only.

Oh and if anyone wants to plan a trip together, let's talk.
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolfbuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Oddometer: 157
I'm planning a trip to Alaska. First step will be the continental divide trail. I'm thinking early June. Want to join me?
__________________
2012 Blue/White KLR 650
wolfbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,187
To Alaska, absolutely, but my wife might disagree. Would you be starting at South border of Colorado of just doing the Northern section of CO?
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolfbuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
To Alaska, absolutely, but my wife might disagree. Would you be starting at South border of Colorado of just doing the Northern section of CO?
Currently I'm thinking head WEST (thanks rockitdoc) on 14 until I meet the Divide Trail, though I'm open to compromise if I had a partner.

I figure if you, specifically, were to come; perhaps ride north with me until Montana or even Canada?
__________________
2012 Blue/White KLR 650

wolfbuzz screwed with this post 02-11-2015 at 10:14 AM
wolfbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
rockitdoc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rockitdoc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbuzz View Post
Currently I'm thinking head East on 14 until I meet the Divide Trail, though I'm open to compromise if I had a partner.

I figure if you, specifically, were to come; perhaps ride north with me until Montana or even Canada?
From FoCo, I'd head WEST on 14, but that's just me.

If you can wait until end of May, I would be in for the bit from CO to MT.
__________________
'00 DR650SE
'60 BSA Gold Star Clubman (in process)
'76 BMW R90S
'77 BMW R100RS
'85 Laverda RGS1000SFC (also in process)
rockitdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolfbuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
From FoCo, I'd head WEST on 14, but that's just me.

If you can wait until end of May, I would be in for the bit from CO to MT.
The plan now is Early June/Very Late May. You're welcome to join.
__________________
2012 Blue/White KLR 650
wolfbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
racerron
dysfunctional
 
racerron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Clarence N.Y.
Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbuzz View Post
The plan now is Early June/Very Late May. You're welcome to join.
Hmmm! Didn't I ride with you in Utah last May?

Quite the trip your planning there. Love to join you, but this year won't work for me. Planning something like that myself as soon I save up enough $$
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wolfbuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerron View Post
Hmmm! Didn't I ride with you in Utah last May?

Quite the trip your planning there. Love to join you, but this year won't work for me. Planning something like that myself as soon I save up enough $$
You sure did! Check out the 2014 QSR thread for the pictures I posted recently.
__________________
2012 Blue/White KLR 650
wolfbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
sanluissound
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains!
Oddometer: 36
Talking COBDR is a good first choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
So, I did not have a great 2014 MC/DS year other than communting, so I making a pact with myself and my thumper to get out more this year.
Two years ago I did the dino run and it was amazing and it wet my whistle for longer backcountry riding on MC. I have done many BC rides on my mtn bike like the GDR and want to do the same on my MC, so I am looking at doing one of them this year and looking for advice. I have found the following trails, the COBDR and GDR and am trying to decide which would be a good choice for a medium level rider on a KLR with camping gear for the CO sections only.

Oh and if anyone wants to plan a trip together, let's talk.
Asatrur,

Based on your history and desires going into the future I think the COBDR is a great choice - there's a lot of great camping along the way, it covers a fair amount of varying Colorado terrain and it's big bike friendly. Given that the GPS tracks and maps are readily available and there are numerous side excursions one can make along the way, the route is a great first choice for an extended CO off road journey. With the KLR you can slab it back home (whichever direction) in relative comfort as well as enjoying more great scenery.

As a rule I'd say almost anything back country in Colorado is a winner! The riding, camping and sight seeing here are top notch. Here's to you making this a great MC/DS year!
__________________
Joe

sanluissound.com
sanluissound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015